Review Highlights
ADVENTURE OF A LIFE TIME !

ADVENTURE OF A LIFE TIME ! Fish,fish and more fish. Nice boat , awesome first mate & best captian... read more

Reviewed 5 March 2024
Ne B
Sebastian, Florida
Best Fishing in Panama!

We went of a 5 day fishing trip with Capt Tom of Coiba Adventure Sportfishing. What an epic... read more

Reviewed 9 April 2023
PuraVidaToby
Charleston, South Carolina

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews captain tom fish bahia honda national park hook mate marlin isle meals species boat panama island whales
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I visited Coiba with Captain Tom in January 2014. We fished for three days and we had an amazing time. Captain Tom and the first mate were truly accommodating and Coiba Island is a rare place on this planet - somewhere where civilization hasn't quite penetrated yet!

To me, the most important aspects of a successful fishing experience are the following, ranked in importance - accommodating host, great food, great fishing, comfortable boat and comfortable accommodations. I would give Coiba Adventure a perfect score on all of the above. A great host and great food are a must; after all you are on vacation and you are trying to unwind and enjoy yourself. Fishing is fishing and I am grateful when the bite is on.....Coiba seriously delivered in this department. Although we were too early for the marlin, we made up for it in the variety of fish that we caught with a couple of trophies. Captain Tom's boat is extremely comfortable and a pleasure to be on all day. I have fished on larger boats that are way less comfortable. Captain Tom has made a few custom changes to the boat that make it roomy with a few places to catch a little siesta mid day if you so choose. The accommodations are rustic but clean and comfortable and I always got a good sleep at night.

Coiba Fishing Adventures is truly a special fishing trip with a great host in unspoiled territory. I felt that it was worth every penny and I look forward to going back soon!

1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I do not know how anyone could write a bad review about such a beautiful place. Coiba is the only place in the world that has not been ruined by people. The fish are prehistoric and the wild life is very photo friendly. Captain Tom knows the island better than anyone there so be sure to choose Coiba Adventure.

Awesome experience !!

1  Thank Mobbinmarlin
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Did I know that there was no hot running water on the island? Yes, I knew this before we booked our trip. Was it an adventure? Yes, we fished from before sunup to after sundown each day and caught a lot of fish. The food was excellent, and the chef was talented. As ugly as a bull dorado is on the boat does not prepare you for the delicacy it is on your plate. The crew both on the boat and on the island were excellent. When we did have any kind of problem, all we had to do was call Rolando or Juan, and the problem was fixed quickly. We still talk about Rolando arriving in our room the first morning. He greeted us with, "Good morning, I have some coffee for you." in his thick Spanish accent. I have used the line at home. If you want luxury, this is not the trip for you. If you want adventure with a fine captain and crew and are willing to enjoy the time away from city comforts, this is the trip for you.

Date of experience: December 2013
1  Thank 2Wicked2Care
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The fishing experience with Captain Tom will be one that will be difficult to top. We caught eighteen species of fish in only three days.

The food was exceptional, the staff hard working and helpful. The accommodations were rustic but we spent very little time in our room. The location is breathtaking.

The entire experience was more then I could have expected. I've been fortunate enough to have fished twelve countries and this trip tops my list.

I will be returning for a second trip in 2016.

2  Thank J905
Reviewed 17 May 2014

About eight years ago I went to a place called Manta Resort. A former coconut plantation on an atoll eleven acres and 2 hours boat ride off the coast of Belize. While I was there ( MR was mostly for divers) I met a gentlemen who had fished the world. I was there to snorkel and fish. I asked him where he would recommend for his top fishing spots around the world. He named Coiba with Capt Tom as number one and Midway island as number two. I've been trying to go for over 8 eight years and finally the stars aligned. I went last year at the end of August beginning of September with a friend who had only fished three or four times in his life. We flew to Panama a couple days early and were picked up at the airport by one of Coiba's driver. He spoke PERFECT English and we used him throughout our stay as a guide and translator. His name was Gregory and I can put you in touch with him if you would like. He was instrumental in our side trips up and down the coast. We stayed at the Marriott in Panama City and it was great. I have posted on TA about the hotel. Now back to Coiba. We were picked up the day of our flight by Gregory and taken to the small airport about twenty minutes from our hotel. We waited in the private lounge in the hangar as the pilot readied the plane. It was a quick 40 minute flight to Isla Coiba. Capt Tom and help met us at the airstrip and carried our bags down to the transfer to get to his boat which was about 50 yards from shore. The walk is steep at points so wear tennis shoes but my buddy made it no problem in sandals. It's a grass slope. We got in the boat and the Capt asked us did we want to start fishing right away, go to camp, make the longer run to Marlin territory or whatever. We decided to fish our way to camp and unload our bags, grab some chow and then go back out. The Captain ALWAYS worked around our schedule. The first afternoon we caught at least six different species including Roosterfish which was our target species of the day. BTW I can't speak for other times of year but late August, early September is a great time to go. It's mostly cloudy everyday and you might get some rain but you get too see whales jumping all the time...like the Pacific Life commercials
on TV and the fishing is off the charts. It's the only time in my life where I have had to say to the Captain...time to go back, I can't catch anymore fish. We caught Roosterfish, Blue and Gold Trevally, African Pompano,Jack Crevalle, Black Tip shark, Yahoo, giant Cubera and many others. The Capt and mate made sure we were comfortable. Sometimes we would be cruising and say "Capt we feel like snorkeling" and so we would. The snorkeling like the fishing is FANTASTIC. We chose bot to go for Marlin or Tuna but more about that later. The Capt sure wanted to go! In fact he just wanted to put us on fish and more fish! And speaking of fantastic the food was unbelievable. I frequently dine in New York
City and I would take the chefs food over 99% of the cities finest. Every morning there was a knock on the door and a pot of good coffee on a tray was waiting. I'd have a cup while watching the monkeys play and the boat sitting on the cove. When we came in from fishing appetizers were ready and top shelf alcohol. The food they made for the boat was better than most of the meals I eat at home. Here is my only regret. Coibadventure was on my bucket list and now it is off, however a second trip is on my list now! I took lots of pictureswhe and will post them when I figure it out or please feel free to PM me in my TA mailbox. This is a trip off a lifetime and people and places like Tom and Coiba are a rarity. Go before they all disappear.
One last thing. There is a very negative post about Coiba. I noticed the writer has never posted about anything. Check out my credentials...you can even call me if you want. Just send an email to the TA mailbox.

Date of experience: September 2013