Review Highlights
Worth the Extra Time & Money

The via ferrata is a fantastic addition to a Low's Peak ascent. It can be done immediately after... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Jason S
Washington, DC, United States
Added fun on the way down

Along with the early morning hike to the top to watch the sunrise, the longer via ferrata was the... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
kiwi3005

All reviews pendant hut via ferrata low's peak average fitness amazing experience safety briefing early morning hike long track climb down once in a lifetime bunk beds fear of heights high altitude rock face mt kinabalu starting point step by step
Reviewed 25 April 2018

I am so glad that I did this activity! It's really demanding...but extremely rewarding. I booked this activity as part of a 3D2N Mt Kinabalu climb package (solo) through a travel agent. I am kinda fit, but just at the level that doing exercise (group fitness class) regularly every 1~2 days. I am not confident with my fitness at high altitude and long climbing so I asked my mountain guide for porter service. I greatly think this is the best decision ever made. I managed to reach Pendant Hut by 2 pm and had some rest before the briefing. The introduction was clear and informative (time required, route structures, etc). One of the attendance actually decided to change from LPC to WTT after the briefing. We had the chance to practice how to operate equipment properly in the hut. The very next day, after the exhausting early morning summit, our LPC group started descending from ~7:10 am. There were 4 climbers grouped with 3 trainers. I had my own trainer, Gitol, who was very patient with me and had been encouraging throughout all the trail. As the last, and slowest, group, I controlled the speed. Although we were standing off the rock about 3700m asl, I didn't feel scared at all. I knew that I was connected to the iron wire safely. Overall, It took me 3:50 to complete the route. All amazing view and an amazing experience but I was not really into the jungle part actually...ha
After returning to Kota Kinabalu, I emailed Mountain Torq requesting for photos trainer took up in the mountain. The reply was very quick and I received all the best shots only in a couple of days. :)

Date of experience: April 2018
3  Thank Rinn_Melbourne
Reviewed 22 April 2018

We booked the "2 Days 1 Night Via Ferrata (Low's Peak Circuit)" tour. As the weather conditions were tough, both Via Ferrate routes were closed and we couldn't do the activity we paid for. When I asked Mountain Torq to refund at least the difference in price between Low's Peak Circuit and Walk The Torq tours (which is quite significant, as the latter is cheaper), I was simply ignored. I believe this is a sign of bad customer service that can't handle non-standard situations.

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank Eugene A
Reviewed 3 March 2018

I love it. It is very good experience . Mountain Torq Via Ferrata is very very well prepared . The guides are very skillful. It was exciting but safe. All you have to do is focus , moving step by step and connect with the nature . Embrace everything around you , the mountain ,the cloud , the wind and sunlight. Yes !! we are 3,776 m above the sea level. It is not easy to reach the Low's Peak ( 4095 m ) and do the Via Ferrata. You will never forget it .

3  Thank Flintstone2018
Reviewed 23 February 2018

The trail had been designed and installed by professional European climbers. It is excellent in every aspect. Each component is over-sized and solidly attached. The guides inspect them carefully. The beginning of the trail is breath taking: it start with 45 degree of smooth rock with a drop of about 600m. Clouds are about 1200m lower than that.

Now about the sales: this company is trying everything possible to get you paying but not actually do the trail. Your 1st contact is likely with their web site that has no prices. You contact them and don't get prices. Instead you get an email message with a traveling company. The whole process takes at least 2 days. By that time you find on your own 6 ot 8 other travel agents with lower prices but all operators are hiding fees, incomplete information etc. By this time half of persons interested would give up.

If you accept the conditions of the intermediary then you pay everything upfront. The day before the via ferata trail, you depend on a mixed group to climb and be on time (3PM) at the MT headquarter. Most of your group cannot care less about your 3pm deadline and the guide is responsible for the whole group. The presentation at 3pm is simple, it shows what to expect and how to use the trail. There is no acceptable reason that the presentation cannot be done one on one after 4pm, 5pm, or 6pm. The only reason is greed. The Asian owner cannot care less, she has your money. You can complain to the middle man and that is all. Anecdotal evidence in KK town suggests that half of the people that book do not get there at 3pm.

Then there is a second deadline for the morning. (either 7am or 7:30am, cannot remember now). The guide from your intermediary company takes you to the summit. In my opinion, there is nothing to see at that summit, you get a much better experience from the via ferata. So if there is any chance you cannot run down from the summit then you should not even go there. Wake up 1h later and climb with a civilized pace to make it to the entry point of via ferata.

Again, there is no reason why a second batch at 8pm is not reasonable. You are not there on time, they will not refund your money. It seems that another 20% of payer do not make it on time.

I did the 3pm deadline, payed on the spot then the next morning i did the summit and i had a great experience on the trail. My MT guide was very good. it took me about 3h and I took my time to admire the view. But i find this whole thing as close to a scam as it gets so be aware!

4  Thank xergiu
Reviewed 22 February 2018

This was the first time I've experienced anything to do with walls, rocks and uneven surfaces. The patience and professionalism that the instructors displayed, made me feel safe and ensured that I was in good hands throughout my adventure on the via ferrata route. The view was simply breathtaking and totally worth the effort made to hike up Mount K. They say a picture tells a thousand words and i'm glad that the instructors took plenty of them. I would highly recommend everyone to experience this once in a lifetime activity.

1  Thank ShengLongO