“Ancient building ”
Review of Dogo Onsen Honkan

Dogo Onsen Honkan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Dogo Onsen Honkan is one of the oldest Hot Spring in Japan and has a history of 3000 years. And Dogo Onsen Honkan has a \
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

We didn't try Japan bath there. But we think it is good experience and also it is nice design that you can't misss taking photo there

Date of experience: July 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,400)
All reviews
"rest area"
"bath house"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

Tattooed person can use here. We got so surprised to hear that.
Hot spring is way too hot for us but everything is beautiful.
入れ墨された人はここで使うことができます。私たちはそれを聞いてとても驚いた。
温泉はあまりにも暑いですが、すべてが美しいです。

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank katie-herm
Reviewed 30 May 2018

With friends, we took the 1280 yens formula. We had access to a private bath in addition of the common and popular one. We were the only ones with my friend so it was very nice. All the people there are great and help you if you are lost, always with a smile.
We then have a tour of the emperor rooms. Very nice :)

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 20 May 2018

For any foreigner looking to experience the traditional Japanese public baths, Dogo Onsen Honkan is a must-visit. They offer different packages however the price is so reasonable (around 1500 - 2000 yen for the top tiers if I remember correctly), that it is worth it to go "all out" in a manner of speaking. We got the most expensive package which gave us a private tatami room to change in, yukatas, access to an smaller and more exclusive onsen that had soap, shampoo and conditioner, access to the larger onsen (where people go directly if they pay lower tier), matcha with a mochi dessert in your private room after your soak, and access to the rooms where the Imperial family would stay when they visited. I believe the second-to-highest price point offers everything that I just described minus the private room (you have your tea and mochi in a larger tatami room with other people, which was also a beautiful room and could be a good experience if you prefer a more social environment). The price did not include bath towels so you should bring your own unless you want to rent one for around 100 yen.
For anyone going to a public onsen for the first time, it could be worth it to look up the proper etiquette ahead of time so that you aren't confused when you arrive and so that you don't do anything that would be considered improper. The onsen are all gender segregated. Upon entering the change room, you must take off your clothes and leave all of your personal effects in the lockers (free lockers with keys are provided). When you get into the onsen room, you have to sit on the little stool and wash yourself thoroughly with soap, shampoo and conditioner prior to entering the bath. I can't speak for the men's onsen, but the women were very respectful and did not stare (it may feel awkward at first but you get used to it pretty quickly). After you finish soaking, you dry off and put your yukata back on before moving on to the next onsen or to the rest area for your tea/dessert.
Note that the larger, less exclusive onsen did not have soap, shampoo or conditioner. I was not sure prior to entering the bath if I had to re-wash my entire body again with soap however since I didn't have any, I had no choice but to just rinse myself (I am still not sure if I offended anyone by doing this, or if it is even necessary to shower again if you already did in the more exclusive onsen).
After soaking, I went back to the private room to meet my cousin for tea and mochi, both of which were delicious (the mochi was so soft!). The private rooms are only reserved for a period of 80 minutes, so you have to keep track of time while you're soaking so that you leave enough time to relax afterwards.
After our tea, we were allowed to explore the building which was so cool! There seemed to be endless narrow corridors, steep stairwells, hidden passageways and rooms, and I can definitely see how this building inspired the location in the Spirited Away film. The building is old and filled with history and tradition. The imperial area was also pretty interesting (a paper with English information was given to us so that we could learn the history).
We did not get the chance to visit the newer Dogo Onsen building, which is supposed to be a lot more modern and luxurious. However I do not regret visiting the old building since it was a wonderful experience nonetheless.
Pro tip: visit on a weekday in the morning/before noon and there will barely be anyone around. I had the exclusive onsen entirely to myself.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank Natasha I
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 April 2018

A bath in one of the oldest onsen in Japan, is a great experience. The staff can only speak a few words in English. They are friendly and helpful.

A short guide to visit Dogo Onsen Honkan: I recommend to buy the "more expensive" package (1250 yen). This package includes bathing in a smaller, more exclusive bath, the larger public bath, soap, shampoo, a towel, a bathrobe, tea and biscuits.

After paying you have to go to the second floor. In our case, we had to follow the red path. There you will get the towel and the bathrobe. Backpacks and jackets are deposited in a provided box in the relax room. Then you can change clothes (lockers are available) and take a bath in the smaller bathroom. The rules for using an onsen should be clear, if not there are various explanations on the internet.
After the bath in the smaller bathroom, go in the bathrobe to the public bath (downstairs). After wards go back to the relax room. There you will receive the tea and the biscuits. If you have relaxed enough, go back the changing room and put on your clothes.

Your package includes also a look in the room of the local poet and a look in the bathroom built for the emperors.

Date of experience: April 2018