“Clear view of Mt Fuji at the top”

Shosen Gorge Ropeway
Ranked #5 of 110 things to do in Kofu
Reviewed 3 February 2017

We had to take two bus trips to get to the ropeway station. First on a public bus, then on a smaller van. At the top of the ropeway, we were rewarded with a clear view of Mt Fuji. She's some distance away, so she was pretty tiny. There's an interesting 'power spot' shrine that directly faces Mt Fuji. Inside, you'll find a sacred tree trunk with natural features that resemble the male and female genitalia. One is supposed to touch the trunk, and then turn around and pray in the direction of Mt Fuji.

Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

This region is very beautiful for who wants climbing activity... You can also use the dropway to the top of mountain and have sight seeing here...

Reviewed 11 December 2016

This ropeway take you to one of the beautiful scenic mountain area in japan. This rope way runs a little faster compare to other ropeway which I board in japan. It takes around 5~10 min to reach to top of mountain. But during this journey we can enjoy autumn colours around the mountain. If are going to Shosen Valley, hope into this ropeway.

Reviewed 6 August 2016

I was the only person taking the ropeway on one of the last trips up the mountain. It started pouring rain just before we left, and the staff at the top was very friendly, letting me leave my backpack inside and walk around the park with a borrowed umbrella. The view was pretty, despite the clouds and mist, so I'm sure it would be spectacular on a clear day. There are also souvenirs and food available at the top, though everything was closing as I arrived since it was almost 5pm. There are some seats in the cable car for those who need them.
When we got down to the bottom, the staff was closing up. I waited out front for the rain to slow down, but one of the gentlemen saw me and gave me a ride to the bus stop! It was very kind of him.

Roundtrip cost 1,200 JPY. If you do not want to pay for the cable car, it looked like there was a hiking trail that you could take. Check the area by the top of the waterfall.

To get here, follow the signs in Kofu station for the buses. The current bus schedules are available on the official Shosenkyo-kankoukyokai website, as well as in the Bus Information kiosk, which is located on the left side of the bus stop area when you exit the train station. When I went, the bus was at Stop #3. I knew it was the right bus because the name for Shosenkyo Gorge (昇仙峡) has two obvious symbols for mountain (the trident shape). Enter the bus through the rear side door (not the front door), grab a ticket, and find a seat. When you exit the bus, exit through the front door, dropping both the ticket and your fare (900 JPY) into the machine by the driver. Your stop is Shosenkyo Taki Ue. After exiting the bus, cross the river and walk upstream. You'll see the billboard with the cable car on your left.