“Very interesting railway”

Ranked #11 of 293 things to do in Shizuoka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 1 August 2017

Runs from down town Shizuoka to the port area. Very cheap fares and they are getting newer trains on their system.

1  Thank Odakyumatt

Reviewed 8 April 2017

I lived in Shimizu, and my apartment was closer to the Shizutetsu Shin-Shimizu Station than to the JR station, so sometimes I rode Shizutetsu to the Shin-Shizuoka Station at Cenova Mall. I also took Shizutetsu to Granship, Markis, and Twin Messe, and got to see the annual open day at Naganuma. It's much slower than JR, even on the express trains, but it's much quieter and less crowded aboard the trains, and you get a more intimate view of Shizuoka City.

2  Thank Richard K
Reviewed 13 September 2016

I really love local vintage transportation. The train only has 2 compartments which I really love because you can actually check out the views to your front and back with ease. I think there are only less than 20 stops from Shizuoka to Shimizu. I recommend taking Shizoka Railway if you want to go to Shimizu Fish Market Kashinoichi, it's much closer compared to the JR station.

Surprising, the fee isn't cheap. But I love it nonetheless.

1  Thank gesogeso
Reviewed 31 July 2016

The nearest train station to the cruise port (Shin Shimizu Station) is about a 20 minute walk. From this station, you can take the local air conditioned train all the way into Shin Shizuoka Station (the main downtown center) which takes about 20 minutes and costs around $2 Note: only yen is excepted at the ticket machines.

The Shin Shizuoka Station lets you off right next to the Shizuoka Castle Park Ruins and downtown area. The castle park is free and good for a short visit. We waked the grounds for little bit and then walked the downtown area. There are plenty of banks/atms, shops and restaurants in the downtown occupy your morning.

4  Thank donavan94563