All reviews ryokan experience train station private shower shared dining free coffee in the morning old town onsen downstairs lovely ryokan traditional guesthouse perfect stay warm hospitality fantastic experience sit on the floor stayed nights japanese style hida folk village week trip
Reviewed 29 July 2018

After hectic days in Tokyo we stayed at this beautiful and relaxing place with onsen baths in Takayama. The service was sublime, very helpful and kind. The employees went out of their way to assist us and the deliciously served food in Japanese kaiseki style was no less than fantastic. The hotel is situated at the bottom of the hills within few steps from old temples and is in walking distance from the old part of the town. We would love to come back.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Pia M
Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

Staff were lovely and very accommodating, shuttle bus convenient, onsen was very relaxing, room very clean, both dinner and breakfast were plentiful and delicious. Such a reasonably priced ryokan. Certainly highly recommend....

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank MJA20
Reviewed 18 June 2018

I wanted to book a Ryokan in my 3 week travel schedule and decided to do it in Takayama as it is a more 'classic' destination. I do not regret it one moment. The Ryokan is a good 20 minute walk from the station. They offer a free shuttle. I was not aware off it before arrival so had to pay for the taxi, a pitty. They drove me to the station when I left. I loved the room and the artwork they have all over the place. I asked for the name of one of the artist (Kiyoshi Ikezumi) and now follow his work and will probably buy some work of him in the future. The best about this Ryokan is the staff. The mother and daughter at the front desk were very friendly. Only one minor thing at arrival when a male staff member tried to offer a paid upgrade even though the room I booked was perfect for me. I booked the Ryokan together with dinner and breakfast. It is offered in a public room, comfortably floor seated but with enough privacy. I loved the food (quality and quantity) on all three occasions (three because I didn't wanted/needed such a rich breakfast the second morning and they were glad to just put a croissant, banana and fruitjuice apart for me). There is a room for people enjoying their first night and another for the second. I found this a pitty while it seemed I was the only one enjoying second dinner the second night. I would have preferred to be seated with all other guests, but they don't want guests to see different courses. I wouldn't mind. The contact with the cooks/servants was lovely and made this a unique experience. There are numorous temples and shrines nearby. I did an evening half hour running session and really enjoyed the neighborhood. If I would go again I would inform myself about rentalbikes. Everything is in walking distance but the walk to the Hida Takayama Folk museum was quite long.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank Mark_Daemen
Reviewed 16 June 2018

I came from HK and it was the first time I stayed in Oyado Yamakyu (for 2 nights). The place is an old building yet everything is well-maintained, with lots of historic treasures and collections, particularly they have collections of clocks, oil lamps and telephones. I likes telephones!!! The hotel is not close to the train station but they provide shuttle bus service. In fact, it's a great walk from/ to the Takayama train station from the Ryokan which takes only less than 20 mins (if you are not distracted...)... very straightforward and you won't get lost!!! Food in Yamakyu is plentiful and taste great! All the staff are helpful and friendly; they cannot speak a lot of English but are willing to communicate with you as much as they can. The last pic taking session offered by the staff is superb and they give you back the pic when i leave. Pretty impressive! That's customer service. You want your guest to return again! This shows the way! Great job and great experience!!! I like it.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Tigger211
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

This little ryokan completely exceeded my expectations. Up on a small hill, directly next to fabulous shrines. The food was fabulous, and lots of it. Service was wonderful. Room simple but lovely. The onsen was nice, one indoor and one outdoor. We spent 3 fabulous nights there. We loved the town also. The inn was a lovely walk to the old town, only about 10 to 15 minutes.

Date of stay: June 2018