See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 May 2013

In true Vietnamese fashion this resort was great when the owners took care of it but now have passed management onto to a clueless relative that neither cares nor has the ability to run the place correctly. Upon check in there was no one to great us, I had to search the lobby and finally found a girl eating noodles in a back corner. I booked online and thusly that created additional confusion but once it was finally sorted out it was on to our "Suite". Our "suite" was just a big with a terriblely hard king size bed, a tiny TV and uncomfortable bedding. The room was quite large however the tiny AC unit they have barely was able to bring the room under 30c during the entire 4 day stay. No Hot Water and the in room safe didn't work. The grounds of the hotel are actually quite nice and it has a good stretch of beach. However they were no staff anywhere to be found. No Pool service, it looks like there was once a pool bar, but that had been ripped out and was no longer staffed. The food was terrible. Typical Asian buffet breakfast, no western option. Not everyone wants to eat congee at 7am.Our first 2 nights the resort was a ghost town. Then there was a holiday weekend and many Vietnamese families checked in, this was problematic because the suite has no sound insulation so we were woken up at 5 am on the last 2 days by cackling old Vietnamese people screaming (chatting) in the adjoining room. The Resort has potential but sadly under current management I don't see it ever being realized. Bad service, tacky décor, uncomfortable rooms. I literally created a tripadvisor profile to inform about this place....on yeah and it was a 170 USD per night :(

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JimmySaigon
Reviewed 9 January 2013

How do I explain quite how awful this hotel is? I will summarise with a few of our experiences there and explain that it never got any better........

On arrival we checked in and were escorted to our rooms down a very badly lit path by a security guard who started by offering me drugs and then proceeded to point to my other half and her daughter and give me a lewd wink and a thumbs up. Hardly an auspicious start and it should have made me leave there and then......these were the people supposed to keep us safe. Indeed, If the area hadnt been fully booked and we hadnt arranged to meet people for New Years, I would have.

The outside of the bungalow despite being tired and shabby was perfectly located on the beach (i found something good to say! Yippeee!). The interior was definitely below standard. Spartan in a beach resort is acceptable. Dirty, badly maintained, with a wardrobe that could only fit five items, no chest of draws etc was not. One bathrobe was covered in blood stains. The safe didnt work....despite signs everywhere saying we must use. The telephone didnt work. The hot water didnt work. The bedlinen was stained. The beds had more lumps than ive ever seen. The TV didnt work ( and never did properly the entire stay) etc etc etc.
I decided to go to reception to try and get the problems fixed.....(and here it gets worse...)....I was first asked whether these things were actually important? this was by a gentleman who reception assured me later was the General Manager..........
After a number of visits to reception and thee hours later, about half the initial issues were fixed and I had been sent a bottle of wine by the Gm....no note...no apology....nothing. To add insult to injury it was Dalat wine which is a lottery at the best of times....and of course this time....no winning ticket. We never did get all the problems fixed.....but we were woken early every morning by loud dance music from the hotel's pool bar which was nice....almost as nice as the gecko droppings on our toothbrushes. Asking for two wine glasses......response was "No no no no no.....hehehehhehehehehehe". I could go on and on....but am hoping that any reader has got the drift.
The mind boggles that anyone would stay here........unless like us its the only place available.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pippinc
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed at the Ocean Star resort for the weekend,cant fault location as its right by the beach,buffet breakfast was excellent too,from first appearances the resort looks pretty impressive but you will be disappointed when you see the rooms.2 star at best,tired,shabby bedroom and mouldy bathroom.Difficult to understand why as it wouldnt cost too much to refurbish and refurnish,they charge enough after all.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank andyr817
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We decided to splurge the last three nights we were visiting Mui Ne beach in Vietnam, so we paid $120/night to get a sea view bungalow. The room lists for $200/night according to the brochure the receptionist showed us, with breakfast included, so we were told we were getting it for a substantial discount.

Pros: The view from our bungalow was incredible, we were able to sit out on the deck and look at the South China Sea. The beach was a 20 second walk from our bungalow. The bungalow itself was huge, with a double bed and a twin bed and enough left over floor space for 4 more beds if we needed them!

Cons: Mildew in the bathroom, huge water stains on the wall beneath the A/C unit, no working hot water the first two days we were there (It was finally fixed for the third day).

Having previously stayed in bungalows on beaches in Malaysia, Bali and Gili Air, we couldn't help feeling that we were paying WAY TOO MUCH for this place.

Ocean Star tries to be a modern boutique, high end resort, but they fall short and the price is too high. We could have gotten a room across the street without a view for $20/night.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AndyouandI
Reviewed 7 January 2010

My friend booked for 3 families to stay in this hotel from December 31, 2009 till January 2, 2010. We were forced to use the package including hotel room and gala dinner. According to the hotel, there's no room available except two bungalows facing the beach and next to the swiming pool. The rate is 130USD/night, and the gala dinner is 50USD/adult. After we checked in, we got an envolope with an announcement informing that the galar dinner would be organized at the swimming pool so all daily activities at the swimming pool and bar, restaurant will be closed till morning of the following day, and the activity will last till morning of January 1 with noise but not specific time given. We were thinking it would be up to 1 or 2 am to celebrate the New Year so it was fine. The dinner started so late that all our children were so hungry. Most of the people were Russian so the MC just spoke in English and Russian. Except the traditional dances, all songs were in Russian. So the Gala dinner turned out to be for Russian. After 12pm, about 50 Russian out of 200 guests (including children) stayed and started dancing with so noisy music. They monitored the music and sound by themselves. At 1.30am, we called the hotel to ask for the Manager but could not talk to him/her. The receptionist said the music would stop at 2am. My baby (more than 1 year old) was crying and startled a lot as the music was so loud. After 2am, nothing changed, I went to look for the Manager but could not find any. We approached the sound system owner and he said he wanted to go home too as he also thought the party was up to 1 or 2am like before but he could not contact the Manager. And we learnt that the Russian had a contract with the hotel for a party up to 5am so they said they have all their right do do whatever they want. There were nobodies there to help us, only some waitress and securities. Our holidays were ruined by such a greedy and irresponsible hotel !!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family