“Simply the best 'Com ga' in Hoi An”

Com Ga Ba Buoi, Hoi An
Ranked #447 of 1,193 Restaurants in Hoi An
Reviewed 1 September 2015

I tried to visit 'Com ga Ba Buoi' three times. After disappointed about 'Out of order' twice, I luckily had a dish of 'Com ga ba Buoi' in the third time. First of all, this was the best out of three places I tried 'Com ga' in Hoi An in reality. The host in my homestay also told me that 'Com ga Ba Buoi' was simply the best in Hoi An.

Somebody might be not happy with the way the staffs served. However, I told you one thing: if you want to taste real traditional food in Vietnam in general, please do not go to restaurants with better service. Food made by local people, which is being desired and appreciated by local people, is usually the best. In my opinion, the staffs there were OK, not too bad. When I saw my dish of "Com ga Ba Buoi', I forget everything else. ;)

P.S: the house is small and very local, so do not expect a good seat or nice view. Due to its fame, it is quickly filled up by guests, make sure you will go early, around 10:30AM.

Date of visit: August 2015
Write a reviewReviews (240)

Reviewed 25 August 2015

I was impressed by the staff there. They advised us should take as less as possible because "you may have eyes bigger than stomach" and yes, he was right haha. Their foods were really yummy.

Reviewed 19 August 2015

chicken in chicken rice are most of the time boiled chicken (unless you ask for other kind) so im not gonna give my opinion on the chicken. But the rice was poorly cooked, either they used low grade rice or they cook the rice 1-2 days ahead of serving time and it was chunky tastelessly bland. There is little seasoning or sauce over the rice. SUPER SLOW AND IGNORANT SERVICE. I dont know why it was so crowded, maybe some famous people have gone there and give recommendation of it. I bet those famous ones havent tried any better chicken rice. I'm not gonna come back ever ever ever. I'm a picky Vietnamese so you might trust me on this.

Reviewed 30 July 2015

The best Com Ga aka Chicken Rice in Hoi An. Make sure you get there early as they often run out at about 3 pm. The servings of the chicken are very small so you can order an additional side of just chicken.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank zip22
Reviewed 14 July 2015 via mobile

We came on a Saturday at 1.30 for lunch - it was packed with customers and were told they had run out of chicken. It was chaotic in there and we felt the customer service was abit abrupt. We were told we could return again at 5pm that night.

However we returned 2 days later. The customer service had improved - the same guy we spoke to on our first visit was very helpful showing us how to put all the ingredients together to eat the dish properly.

It was delicious! We ordered 4 plates of chicken with bone intact (95000 a plate), 5 plates or rice (10000 a plate) and soy milk with corn (15000 a bottle). You also get a bowl of chicken broth to share. Plus a plate of salad - carrot/papaya? (mix this with soy sauce and chilli on the table to make your dressing), plus dipping sauce for chicken made of salt/pepper - make sure you add lime juice and chilli to this. There is also a bowl of separate broth without greens in it - this you pour over your yellow rice to "wet" it and give it flavour. Mix the green herbs and onion slices (under your chicken) into the rice before eating. YUM

One of our more delicious "street food type meals" had in Hoi An. Make