“The best experience for us in Hoian”

Taboo Bamboo Workshop
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tour at Taboo Bamboo Workshop you will be surprised and excited to see all the different household facilities and things that we have created out of bamboo and that we use in our house. Take them home with you as a souvenir and enjoy this long lasting experience.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

בילינו אצל מר טאן 3 שעות קסומות. הוא מלא סבלנות ויצירתיות, ונתן לנו להבין את שלבי העבודה וליישם לבד. לנו ובמיוחד ליילדי (6,10,12) היה אושר צרוף אצלו.

We had the nicest time with Mr. Nat. 3 hours of working and learning, he was so patient with my little kids. Everyone built something he chose, and we took it home. So nice!!

3  Thank Sharon W
"craftsmen"
"bicycles"
"vietnam"

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

We spent a wonderful 3 hours at Mr Tan’s workshop. Our kids (age 7 & 9) made a boat and a pot with lid. We made a wind chime and a speaker for our phones. The atmosphere was very relaxed and we were given many clear and detailed instructions. It’s amazing just how versatile this material is. It was a lovely family activity. Would highly recommend.

2  Thank Anna D
Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

Amazing get away for an afternoon! Host and his family and all the people working here are really nice and you can see they love doing what they are doing. The surroundings couldnt be better, its just a lovely garden with bamboo furnitures and stuff. Recommended for everyone, I for one never really did anything like it, not really a handyman here, but I loved this afternoon, time flew by. Bring some snacks and drinks with you and enjoy!

2  Thank Kristóf M
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

In Vietnam on a bamboo design and research tour and Mr Tan went over and above to educate us all all to a very high standard and provided us with the most wonderful hospitality.
I highly recommend Taboo Bamboo Workshop to anyone even slightly interested, as it is an extremely rewarding experience.
- Floyd.

1  Thank floyd d
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2018

Taboo Bamboo Workshop

In 2012 I traveled to Vietnam for six months, trying to get information and scientific data for my P.h.D. project about bamboo’s function in South Asian cultures. At that time, I worked in a bamboo village in northern Vietnam. My second time in Vietnam was this year and I tried to find a place to improve my bamboo skills.

This is how I found Taboo Bamboo and get in touch with Anh Tan—one of the best-skilled bamboo craftsman and designer I ever met. After a short while, I asked him if I could work as a volunteer and Anh Tan agreed. Thus, I worked for almost a month at Taboo Bamboo and each day I enjoyed that beautiful place. Each day I learned new techniques in the processing of bamboo: splitting, carving, sanding, joinery, etc. Furthermore, Anh Tan and my colleagues, particularly B.L., helped me whenever I got difficulties with my own projects or new working techniques. Whenever I made mistakes, the motivating mantra was: “Don’t worry! We’ll fix it!” And indeed, this was a mentality of work that I adapted.

Taboo bamboo is a very special place, not only for me as a bamboo-enthusiast but also for everyone who is interested to work with bamboo. Thus, many groups (individual travels, families, groups, couples, etc.) came to Taboo bamboo to take part in workshops. And, in my opinion, people working with bamboo and realizing their small projects with the help of Anh Tan and B.L. were very satisfied and happy. In many cases, people attending the workshop made gifts for their friends and family or objects for themselves.

At all, for me Taboo Bamboo was a highlight in Vietnam.