All reviews moon bar banyan tree rainforest experience private pool tented villas rainforest spa farmhouse restaurant undergoing renovations arabian oryx in villa dining tranquil place to stay through luxury escapes bird show complimentary bicycles renovations going standard villa bose sound system
Reviewed 27 February 2018

As you might have followed on my Instastories over the past weekend, I took a weekend getaway from the bustling city of Dubai and headed towards nature – this time the desert.

Just a little over an hour after leaving Dubai’s Downtown, I reached the immense property where the Ritz Carlton Ras Al Khaimah Al Wadi Desert is located – over 500 hectares of sand, dunes, and nature populated by groups of wild animals such as oryxes, gazelles, and small birds.

With such a large property, it would make no sense to concentrate all the guests in the same building, and that’s why everyone gets their own private tented villa somewhere around the property, 1 of the 180 villas there. A spacious retreat with 253 sqm in the middle of the dunes, as soon as you enter the gated villa a set of bikes awaits on your right in case you decide to explore the property. Once you step inside the building, the first thing your eyes will see is the vast heated infinity pool overlooking the sand.

But also a great concern on showcasing the Portuguese soul of the hotel to all the guests with custom-made traditional tapestry from Alentejo reflecting the picturesque colors of the neighborhood, furniture designed and manufactured in Porto, limited edition artworks printed in Lisbon, Vista Alegre tableware and Oprah-endorsed toiletries by Claus Porto.

Walking around the villa you will find not a typical hotel room, but something extraordinary – On your right the spaces overlap with a mix between the living room, the bedroom area with a massive king-sized bed and an office space resonating colonial vibes.
On the opposite side of the villa, there’s a different area, starting with a large bathtub in the middle of the room surrounded by mirrors on one side and the pool view on the other. Keep on walking further inside the room you will find a mix of a walk-in closet area and the shower alongside all the other bathroom amenities.

But the experience at the Ritz Carlton Ras Al Khaimah Al Wadi Desert doesn’t end in the rooms. Within the property, you will also find Farmhouse – the one open restaurant out of the three currently being refurbished in the premises. A spacious buffet area for breakfast and dinner along the shisha lounge open during the night.

If you’re up for more than lounging by the pool and eating all day, there are also activities (for kids as well if you want to keep them distracted the whole day) like horse riding, camel riding, falconing displays, stargazing activities and archery among much more.

At the end of the day have to stay it was a great experience and somehow a perfect getaway from the city when you need to run away from the traffic, get some “me” time and connect with the nature around you.
During the whole experience, the two things I have to highlight are definitely the intimate swimming pool (all for myself day and night) and secondly (maybe even more important) is the chance to observe the bright and clear starred sky in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Go for one of the private villas, just the pool is worth it
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnACMarques
AlWadiDesert, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Ras Al Khaimah, Al Wadi Desert, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Dear JohnACMarques,

On behalf of our Ladies and Gentlemen, I am truly grateful that you selected Al Wadi Desert as your hotel of choice upon your visit to Ras Al Khaimah.

I hope you will consider this exquisite destination as your home away from home and allow us to be of service again in the very near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

We were nervous because of a few poor reviews. There was no need. Tented villa was huge and perfect for my husband and I with our two daughters ages 7 and 11 (they slept on pull out sofa bed). The private pool was amazing and warm. My husband and I loved sitting out at night on the huge pool bed. No bugs!! Saw tons of wildlife, even a gazelle came to visit our villa. Highly recommend the sunset camel activity. Levy was super informative and told us a lot about the desert. It isn’t a long camel ride, but the sunset view was amazing and we got the whole bottle of prosecco which was nice. Beautiful photos. Kids enjoyed the horse lead ride but I’m not sure it was worth it. Breakfast was great. We used points for our stay but paid to upgrade to the tented villa which included breakfast. Dinner at farmhouse was fine but we opted for room service night two, also good and less expensive because we drank our own alcohol. The falcon show was great. We took a taxi to the liquor store and enjoyed our own drinks in the room. Alcohol is expensive, so even after paying the taxi we were better off. You have to wait about 20 minutes for a taxi to come, and then have it wait for you, the store is in a remote area. We also went to a mall, but it was totally under construction and a huge waste of time. Service was great and reliable, especially the buggy service. Unlimited bottled water is available everywhere, stocked in room for no charge.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristen H

Dear Kristen H,

It was an absolute pleasure to read about your experience with us!

We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience at Al Wadi Desert, and our Ladies and Gentlemen, especially Levy, contributed to creating a memorable experience during your stay.

Please let us know if you ever plan to visit us again, I will personally ensure we can create more unforgettable memories for you.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

We visited for our wedding anniversary. From start to finish the whole experience was a level above anything I have experienced before. The manager Mara emailed in advance and was fantastic at arranging everything. When we arrived she had even framed a wedding photo and left it on the table alongside a cake. Our host on the day, Karen, made sure everything was perfect.
The tented villa we stayed in was spectacular. One half is a vast bathroom and the other half is the main living space. Outside a large private pool. The villa comes with absolutely everything you might want, from a Bose sound system to pool temperature controls and even bikes so you can explore the enormous resort.
The thing that made it extra special was that every single member of staff makes a real effort. Everyone says hello from the manager to the maintenance men. It really makes it feel special.
Great place for a special occasion

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear TootingMike,

Thank you for your kind review, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Al Wadi Desert, Ras Al Khaimah.

I am pleased to know that your whole experience was a level above anything you experienced before and that we have made your anniversary staycation a truly memorable one. It is rewarding for me to share positive comments like yours to our Ladies and Gentlemen, especially your recognition of Mara and Karen has been shared amongst the team.

I hope you will consider this destination your home away from home and we are looking forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

This hotel exceeded our expectations on many different levels. The service is the best we’ve seen and we’re comparing it to the best hotels we stayed at. The staff are kind enough to get off the buggy and open our villa for us without us asking them to, and they wait for us to get in then leave the area. The hotel is luxurious, the restaurants are amazing with great ambience, the food is very tasty, whenever we ask for something there answer was always “certainly” which shows the professionalism and the great hospitality. The pool was huge and clean and temperature controled. We look forward to coming back again to this wonderful hotel it was certainly the perfect gateway.
Thank You Ritz Carlton Al Wadi Ras Al Khaima!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mohammed A

Dear Mohammed A,

We are delighted to learn that your stay at Al Wadi Desert has exceeded your expectations and we thank you for having shared your experience on Trip Advisor. Thank you for the feedback about the Ladies and Gentlemen as well the facilities, it is through comment like yours that we can improve our product and services.

We are hoping that you will allow us to be of service again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

We had a lovely meal at the Farmhouse restaurant for Valentine's Day last night and while we were blown away by the setting, the ambiance and the food, a few little things meant that we didn't have the full 5 star experience. Firstly, we were brought to our table but not given a wine list or drinks menu. No one came to provide this so I asked for the wine list. They brought the drinks menu and I couldn't find wine anywhere on it. I asked, and they said oh you need the wine list sir. Ten more minutes passed and still no wine list. So I eventually just had to order a white wine with the waiter and hope for the best. Then our food came. It was absolutely delicious, especially the Australian grass fed steak and the salmon starter. When asked if I needed anything else, I said yes, some mustard please. It never came. Not a big deal but they seem to forget a lot of things. Lastly, we asked for the bill. It came promptly and I had my card ready but no one came. I eventually had to get the attention of a waiter to come over to our table so we could pay and get our taxi. Like I said, great place, but these little things will probably mean that I will be reluctant to return. If a customer is paying a bill of AED 1000+ they need the service to be perfect.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris G
AlWadiDesert, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Ras Al Khaimah, Al Wadi Desert, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2018

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at our resort. It is reviews like yours which present the valuable opportunity for our teams to improve on our service.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your Valentine’s Day meal at Farmhouse and that the setting and ambiance enhanced your night’s experience. We would like to apologize for any occurrences that slowed the overall pace of your meal. This is not the level of service that we commit to our guests.

We sincerely hope for the opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton Ras Al Khaimah, Al Wadi Desert to provide you a much more seamless dining experience. Please contact me at amit.arora@ritzcarlton.com upon making your future booking. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Warm regards,