“Horrendous and heartbreaking ”

Seaview Elephant Camp
Ranked #95 of 99 things to do in Kathu
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We were out exploring the area today when we stumbled upon this elephant camp. “Camp” being the key word here, this is no safe haven for elephants.

I had read many terrible things about how these poor gentle creatures are treated in Thailand, but I witnessed it first hand today.

The first baby elephant you see, has a chain around it’s ankle that is tied to a tree and is in a tiny enclosure for tourist to take photos with. It moves back and forth, in what I can only imagine as frustration.

To the back you will see a “guide” with a stick that has a sharp hook at the end, which he uses to constantly hit the elephant with.

These elephants looked broken. It really pained me to see people still paying to ride them and take photos with them. We got out of there the first chance we could but I had to take a photo of how this baby elephant was being kept so that no one supports this sickening establishment.

2  Thank KylieMaartens

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Elephant Camp was exciting and you not only get to see and touch the elephants but even feed them! We could see little kids feeling so happy feeding the elephants. We stayed there for a few minutes.

Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

We went here for a trip, first we done the ATV’s that was really good. Then we went to the elephants it was so sad the animals were treated terribly and they hit them with a stick, we reported them to the tour company, it was awful. Then we seen the monkeys chained who could not move or play. Wish I had checked reviews before booking. This elephant camp should be closed down.

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

We ended up here accidentally after someone on our city tour bus had booked an additional trip here and we had to sit and wait for them.
Could not believe my eyes at the animal cruelty that is allowed to go on here, especially in 2017!
Poor elephants having to carry tourists around all day and sit whilst people take pictures on them whilst the men who guide them have long bamboo sticks with mental hooks on the end!
There is also a baby elephant chained up all day for people to take pictures with getting made to lift up its legs and move its head. I know baby elephants can be naughty but there is no need at all for a baby elephant to be chained up in a small area that wouldn’t even be sufficient for a dog for the full time this place is open for the satisfaction of a picture.
There is a monkey show here too which I am glad I didn’t have the displeasure of seeing as seeing the elephants alone were enough to make the biggest of grown men cry.
I would give it -10 stars if I could I cannot believe how many people voluntarily go here and pay to abuse these beautiful creatures.
The likes on your pictures are NOT worth it.
If you want to see the elephants close up and them being able to act naturally and getting cared for appropriately I highly recommend the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary Phuket!
Do not give these people your money they should NOT be allowed to operate!