All reviews spices restaurant large fridge grand room grand seaview modern hotel bose speakers oceanside room dry land room opens spectacular hotel pool access room sun beds and parasols the managers cocktail evening sunbed issue beachside pool lovely thai highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

We were staying in a sister hotel La Flora and got offered to change to La Vela which is newly opened. After viewing the hotel we decided to upgraded to a pool access room and I have to say it was the best decision we made. Waking up to a pool right outside your doorstep is heaven and the grounds of the hotel are beautiful. It is a huge resort with many different pools. The breakfast buffet each morning was extraordinary everything you could want. The staff and service were excellent, highly recommend!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank corktraveller789
Alex K, Manager at La Vela Khao Lak, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Dear corktraveller789,

Thank you very much for your kind compliment and special thanks for your great support to La Flora group.

I am glad you enjoyed your holiday with us and looking forward to welcome you back to La Vela

Reviewed 6 December 2017

La Vela has so much potential but unfortunately it fell short on quite a few occasions which was both disappointing and unexpected.

The plus points:

It looks beautiful, is very modern and sleek, and the restaurant and bar areas are very nice places. The pools, infinity pool and beach are really fantastic and it’s very easy to do absolutely nothing here. The rooms are also very well appointed with tons of storage space, great TV channel selection, huge bathroom and a lovely outdoor space with a Jacuzzi bath. It’s also very close to the local restaurants and bars which we thanked the lord for every day.

The negative points:

The food: The main beach bar was incredibly overpriced and had almost zero vegetarian options. I eventually had the waitress agree to make me a green curry with vegetables but for 300 baht plus, I could buy 2/3 of these in Bang Niang for better quality. I understand it’s a hotel restaurant so do expect to pay more but the price was so high that we ate there once on our first night and had lunch another day which was also a massive disappointment. The nacho salad contained no salad, a dribble of cheese and about 10 nachos. My girlfriends salad also lacked some of the ingredients it was supposed to contain. We mentioned this to the staff but they ignored it and brought us the bill. It has the potential to be brilliant and packed as the views are beautiful but I rarely saw more than 2 or 3 couples dining as they probably had the same thoughts and experiences as us.

Breakfast was OK but nothing special. If you (like me) are vegetarian the choices are bread, cereal, eggs, fruit and salad. If you are vegan then I have no clue what you could eat other than bread and fruit. The options were all meat and fish which was incredibly disappointing. Tons of dishes and sushi but all containing meat/fish.

I had miso soup one morning as I had asked the staff if it contained no meat and fish. I had the same soup the next day and it contained some floating bits that to me looked a bit suspect. I asked the main chef and he said it had contained fish. The one I ate yesterday had contained fish as well. Very very unhappy with this as I have been vegetarian for 12 years+ and don’t like being told food doesn’t contain something when it does.

The main chef did everything he could to help me at breakfast and offered spring rolls and a vegetable stir-fry but that’s not really what I fancied for breakfast each morning.

Set Dinner: As part of our package we received a set 3 course dinner for two. We took this one evening but left during the main course as it was terribly poor. There wasn’t a single vegetarian option on the menu again and I was told they could make a papaya salad and noodles and vegetables in soy for main. Not exactly a tantalising prospect but I went along as my girlfriend had some decent meat options and it seemed OK. The starter came and went and was fine and then the mains arrived. All of our food was served cold. The rice and the main and my noodles. We really aren’t the kind of people to kick up a fuss and if this was in a small restaurant we may have let it slide, but as this is a big international hotel they should be doing a lot better, so we sent the food back. The waitress apologised and then the food was sent back to us and this time it was tepid and lukewarm. Incredible. It had probably been re-heated for less than 5 seconds. At this point we got up and left and I went to reception to let them know. They apologised and said that the manager would be in touch to speak to me and would I like to eat there again. Obviously I chose not to eat there again and I am still waiting to hear from the manager.

On checkout we had no-one ask us if we had enjoyed our stay and the personal touch was really lacking. I also had my free included massage added to the final bill.

I wish I was writing a great review of La Vela as it has so much potential to be an incredible place but it really suffered in a few areas and missed the little touches that should put it above other hotels in the area.

If you ignore the food and overpriced drinks it's a great hotel, unfortunately for us that is an important part of our holiday and the reason we won't return to La vela.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SDO81
Alex K, Manager at La Vela Khao Lak, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear SDO81,

I am very sorry to read your feedback. We should manage and serve your request better.

Khao lak is a very beautiful destination so hopefully you will return to Khao lak at least.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

Me and my friends stayed at La Vela Khao Lak over a long Friday to Sunday, having decided to treat ourselves to a weekend away from Singapore.

The three of us stayed in a Pool Access room which was huge. This description goes for both the supersize King size bed and sofa bed which was in the room. I can speak highly enough about how great the Pool Access rooms are. That being said, do not spend all your time hanging out in your room and the immediate pool area to your room as there is so much more to explore at the resort.

For instance, Kokulo Beach Club is a highlight and place that is a must visit to enjoy a chilled vibe and sunset drinks.

Breakfast was standard buffet which was great. Lunch options are also good. But I'd suggest venturing out and exploring the immediate area as there are a number of restaurants close by (which are all pretty cheap cheerful and very nice).

In short La Vela Khao Lak is a must for anyone heading to Khao Lak. Plus, from here you can walk to Bang Niang Market and do all your shopping as well.

Lastly, I need to say a special thank you to Ava who greeted me and my friends upon arrival to the resort. She could see that we were all in the mood for a drink (or 5) straight away and wasted no time in showing us where the nice drinking spots were on the resort and gave a few recommendations also for a few bars close to the resort also.

It goes without saying that me and my friends will be visiting La Vela Khao Lak again at the earliest opportunity.

Room Tip: Honestly, this resort has rooms to suit all budgets. You'll be hard pressed to find a bad room at this place
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Daniel C
rm372, Manager at La Vela Khao Lak, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2017

Dear Daniel C,

Thank you very much for chosen La Vela Khaolak for your holiday.
In deed Pool Access room is perfect, from the size to the comfy!

Kokulo beach club is really a great place to enjoy the sunset, music and drinks.
Saturday pool party is talk of town now.

Your recommendation is really appreciated. Look forward to welcome you again soon

Reviewed 15 November 2017

I surprised my wife with a cheeky trip to Thailand for our 20th wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. We visited in July which was rainy season, it was fine weather was very kind to us. 10 night holiday.
The hotel was not fully open as some areas were still being developed new breakfast restaurant opened while we were on site.
Location excellent for access to the village and the beach during the day, the hotel has a really beautiful fool by the beach as well as a very large pool at the mid station.
Room was excellent we had a ground floor corner swim up suite with great terrace for lounging as well as an out door whirlpool.
The food was great personally I loved it from breakfast to dinner it was excellent. We ate at the hotel quite often and didn't get bored with the menu, wine was a tad on the high side price wise but we still had a bottle every day with dinner or lunch all of Thailand is similar for wine. I enjoyed a Thai breakfast every morning and my wife really enjoyed her fresh fruit and our very naughty pancakes with maple syrup.
The staff really made this place quite special for us, Joe kept me going with the odd beer as well as my lunch, Jay Jay & Maprang were very gracious people & Aoy the restaurant manager was so attentive to our requirements, Chet & Todtu also looked after us so well. On the opening of the new restaurant Chad gave us a great tour of the breakfast and the different foods, on a daily basis AEK was my main guy for breakfast he was exceptional.
I do offer a special thanks though to Aoy, Maprang & Joe cheers guys you made our anniversary trip very special. We wish you all every success in your life's path.
Beach, the beach required attention whilst the beach is public land if it were my hotel I would still have a team of people pick up any debris washed in by the sea every morning first thing directly infront of the hotel. it is a minor point but an important one.
We walked the beach many times and safely crossed the little inlet to the sea. take a small amount of local currency with you there are plenty of folks wanting to sell you a cold beer or a soft drink along the way and its a nice way to relax for 10 minutes during the walk.
Your located two minutes walk from the heart of the village the villagers are lovely.
There is a great artist locally on the main drag across from the 7-11 he's called Ratanachai Chaiyarantana The shop is called GALLERY he has painted by Thai Royal Appointment and has a wonderful story to tell his Gallery is really worth a visit.
We loved our time and location we visited may local restaurants and enjoyed the culture.
The Spa and the treatments were lovely we used the spa at 3 or 4 times, the gymnasium was well enough equipped for me and I visited most days as well as enjoying the yoga class daily together.
Thanks to everyone who made us smile from our heats.
I hope the hotel goes from strength to strength.
If your in the area and love elephants you should consider visiting the Phang NGA Elephant Park we love elephants and found the park quite special for the elephants and the keepers.

Room Tip: Corner Ground Swim up facing the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trevort808
rm372, Manager at La Vela Khao Lak, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Dear Travor T,

Thank you very much for your feedback. From you comment looks like team at Kokulo made your stay so memorable! Well done to my team. They were true gems of La Vela.

Your comment is really great for people to understand more about La Vela & Khaolak area.

Thank you very much again and hope we will have a chance to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

We just got back from 8 nights in a Deluxe Pool view room. Based in the quietest corner of the site, it was perfect for a couple like us. Pool Access rooms are also great but you tend to hang around your room all day (obviously) and don't get to experience the rest of the facility.
Great modern design as well - Kokulo Beach Club was a highlight. And the rooms are brand new, big, modern, and have huge King Beds. All the mod cons are handy and the staff are terrific (especially Pascal).
Breakfast was standard buffet but fine. Lunch options are pricey, but you can always walk up the beach approx 200 meters where there are a couple of lovely Thai Ladies with their cheap food carts. Otherwise walk out the front door and you have a number of restaurants close by (Give me Five is nearby, and is cheap cheerful and delicious). All in all this place is must for someone heading to Khao Lak.....and from here you can walk to Bang Niang Market and do all your shopping as well.

Room Tip: Don't think there's a bad room in the place actually.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Daniel B
rm372, Manager at La Vela Khao Lak, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

Dear Daniel B,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. I am glad you happy with our facilities and services.

Regarding the prices our prices are include Tax & Service Charges plus material we use and of course we are more expensive compare to outside restaurant. In term of variety it is good to have choices of both from hotel & local.

Thank you for your stay and hope we will have a chance to welcome you again.