“A score for the Hippies!”

Bombers Burrito Bar
Ranked #159 of 714 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Fast food
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 3 May 2018

This place is amazing. Some people don't get it, but over sized burritos are the star attraction. Yes, the place is run by a bunch of Millennial hipsters but to grab a quick, cheap eats lunch in the Capital area you can't go wrong with this place.

1  Thank Russ F

Reviewed 28 November 2017

I stopped in here while I was home visiting the 518. Bombers definitely has a hipster vibe to it, but it's had this since WAY before this word was in our mainstream vocabulary.

Bombers is a place people in the Capital Region seem to love or hate. I'm more in the like it camp. I think to most Gen Xers & Millenials Bombers is a Capital Region institution!

It's a rite of passage to come here with a few friends on your birthday and get your free giant margarita!

The food here is Americanized Mexican, but I think it's pretty decent. I'm not much of a french fry person, but they do have some interesting flavored ones that some of my friends love. I'm mostly vegetarian, but I know the wings are another local favorite.

Personally, the margaritas are what draw me in. If you come at happy hour, the margaritas are $6 and there are various other drink specials as well. There is a nice variety of margarita flavors to choose from and I don't think I've ever had bad one in my 12 years of patronizing this establishment. The drinks usually have a decent amount of alcohol in them and they are served in mason jars.

Over the years the service has been mixed at this establishment. This place does get really packed at night, especially on the weekends.

If you aren't into booze or if you have had your drinks elsewhere, you might wish to stop into their first floor (basement?) restaurant for get take out or eat at one of the tables. There is no waitstaff downstairs, you order at the counter and they shout out your name when the order is ready.

If you dine upstairs, it's table service and there is also a bar. This is a fun place to visit at least once. Word of warning, the bathrooms are upstairs and they are usually consistently gross.

I was in town at the end of March and stopped in to this location around 3 PM on a Sunday afternoon. Bombers was quite dead, I was surprised considering they have the happy hour that day too. Most of Lark was fairly quiet, perhaps it was due to the rain and chilly weather.

I recently learned that the original owner Matt Baumgartner has sold this establishment! The legend is that Matt won $ at a casino and invested it to start this business! He has since became quite the Capital District entrepreneur and owns various bars/restaurants.

I'm dreaming of my Bombers frozen margarita as I type this in South Florida!

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

So I downloaded this app just to write this review. It's one thing if you're going here to drink, but the food... I didn't know you could mess up nachos that bad. I ordered vegan nachos with tofu... although I did not request BBQ anything, they were completely drenched with super sweet sauce (prob sweet baby rays). The salsa was also gross and the guacamole was ok. The chips were the saving grace, but most of them were swimming in BBQ sauce and tons of vegan cheese. I ate about 1/4 before I started feeling ill. My husband got a chicken burrito and he said the rice wasn't fully cooked! The kids shared a BBQ chicken nugget burrito that was more cheese & BBQ sauce, once again, than anything else. Super gross. No way I'd ever go back. Oh, and he staff... not exactly friendly. At least we only spent $32

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

After attending LARK-fest on Saturday (9/23/17), we wanted to continue giving our business to locals, so we decided on eating dinner at BOMBERS.

With the place crowded, we were worried about getting a table... But the sweet host & hostess worked together to clear a booth for us (party of 4), and we were seated in under 5 minutes.

My husband ordered a plate of nachos (as an appetizer) for the table to start with, and then we proceeded to order putt entrees (nothing fancy: burritos and wraps).

After a slightly lengthy wait, the food arrived. ALL of the food arrived...ALL AT ONCE. (Appetizer with entrees). The waitress sets the food down and walks away. We have no silverware. So I go to the hostess and ask for utensils, she apologized and brought us napkins & silverware. Then, half way through our meal, all 4 of our waters are gone. Waitress has not checked back. So once again, I leave the booth and approach the hostess. She apologized, said the waitress was new, but SHE would personally bring us waters.

When the check came, the waitress deservedly received $0.01 & three pieces of advice for her tip: 1) don't make customers have to ask for utensils, 2) in a MEXICAN restaurant, with spicy food, don't make customers have to ask for water, and 3) even if the kitchen is busy, make sure appetizers come out as appetizers - NOT as additional entree food.

On our way out, the hostess was given a cash tip for all of HER hard work!!

(NOT sure if we'll go back anytime soon)

Reviewed 14 September 2017

A nice day for a stroll up to my favorite Burrito Bar, they have a location at my work here at the Empire State Plaza but outside on a nice day is always a treat seeing I work in the basement of my building. My BBQ chicken Burrito was delicious, prepared fast and very much enjoyed.