“Kashmiri Food at its best”
Review of Matamaal

Matamaal
Ranked #193 of 2,985 Restaurants in Gurugram (Gurgaon)
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Description: Inspired by the pure irresistible, mouth watering culinary traditions of the Kashmir valley; Matamaal was born. Nalini Moti Sadhu thrives on preserving this ancient culinary art keeping in view the contemporary trends and food choices globally. Matamaal is your bespoke connect to the Kashimiri Culture and cuisine. Driven by the passion to keep it all alive, Nalini Sadhu started her journey into the art of food in the early 90's. We hope to share our experience with you as well!
Reviewed 23 May 2018

Think Kashmiri cuisine and think Matamaal. This place run by a Kashmiri family churns out the most authentic Kashmiri dishes. The ambience and the colors of the restaurant transport you to Kashmir.

Being a vegetarian, I was skeptical about going to a Kashmiri place but man they exceeded all my expectations.

I ordered for Nadur Monge for starters- crispy lotus stem fritters fried with rice flour and spices. They made for perfect starters.

For the main course, I ordered for Kashmiri Dum Aloo and Paneer Roganjosh. Let me tell you, the restaurants that do Kashmiri Dum aloo otherwise, don’t even come close to the authentic taste this restaurant givs you. My personal favourite was Paneer Roganjosh- big chunks of Paneer in a gravy made of whole spices. This was lip smacking good. Kashmiri breads accompanied the main course.

We also ordered for Phirni to end the meal on the sweet note.

The best part of the meal was Sheer chai- salted pink coloured tea- soothing after a spicy meal.

Highly highly recommended.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

I am a veg and Kashmiri food i was under the impression was only for non- veg . But having a veg thali changed my perception . The veg thali is big enough for two and you better be hungry to do justice to the meal . I loved it so much that i repeatedly visit it with my friends visiting me .

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

While whole of Gurgaon headed out to hills and a few to Deserts am glad we stayed back in Gurgaon.
My SIL has taken upon herself to satisfy her palette with some Kashmiri food and she’s been on a mission since Feb for this. With exams (boards for kids) getting over past Monday they had gone to Khyen Chyen and boy they did return pretty dissatisfied. While they liked the overall setup, decore etc food certainly did not leave a good taste in their mouth.
Saturday’s lunch was another attempt to try a new place and either arrive on a conclusion that our taste buds were not meant for Kashmiri Cooking or maybe fall in love with it all over again !!
(PS- I was not part of the guests here but family was 3 adults and 2 teen, same feedback in chorus - Not Again !!)

Sat || Lunch || Matamaal:
An artistically set up small yet pricy (yes) restaurant on 3rd floor at DLF City Court, Sikanderpur, Gurgaon. Seems to be run by a family and that reflects in their taste as well.

(Refer to the bill for what all we had - don’t miss the BigF discount which they accepted with a smile)
Our journey included...
Kabab’s for starters
Rice and Rajma the all time favourite
All Kashmiri breads
And loads of (veg) meat (cooked without onions/ ginger/ garlic)
...and end it with a Phirni

Loved every bit hospitality / staffs attentiveness / owners pit-stop conversations / n overall the taste.

The taste of their rajma and Rohan josh n rice also the mutton kofta and gostaba that mealts in your mouth complimented with Lavasa bread are still so fresh in my mouth.

Phirni did not impress me much as I’ve had better in some other places.

Overall a super satisfying experience - ‘Shukriya’

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Best Kashmiri food ever had outside my own home. Would highly recommend people to try it out as a night out for food once in a while. The range of food items will not disappoint. Was very surprised with what was on offer. Delicious food overall!

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We decided to have our Holi lunch there with the family of 6.Greeted and seated warmly by Nalini and Surendra Sadhu from Kashmir, we had a fabulous feast of all our favourites from Yakhni, Gushtaba, Rista, Rogan Josh, Haak and a yummy pickle. The breads came fresh from their own bakery.Tried all types.The food was aromatic, flavourful and truly authentic Kashmiri.Planning a lot more meals here or ordering in.
The place is cozy and small and the experience large and beautiful.
On way out bought the lovely Kashmiri Honey, red chillies, walnuts, spices etc.
Wonderful experience.