Lowest prices for your stay
$565
Fully refundable before Sat, 27 Apr
No booking fees
Spargirl
Maple Ridge, Canada
Great hidden gem for privacy and relaxation
Review of The Fiji Orchid
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 Feb 2024
We stayed at The Fiji Orchid enroute to NZ for a stopover during a long flight and again on the way home, and it meet all our needs. The boutique hotel with only 6 Bures allowed for a very private and relaxing stay. The biggest win was the kind and attentive staff. Deepika the Manager was a real pleasure to work with. We very much appreciated the rides with Kesho. We also had the pleasure of joining them on Market day in Lautoka which was a great experience. Having access to Raymond's restaurant onsite for our meals was very convenient, They accommodated our food allergies including a wonderful gluten free bread and baba ganoush which was delicious. Asenaca was very sweet and worked very hard to ensure we had everything we needed during our visits.
Date of stay: January 2024
8.2 km from The Fiji Orchid
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
6.6 km from The Fiji Orchid
BBQ fish on the banks of the Ba River a stone's throw from the hotel
eDreams
      $441
      $576
    0.0 km from The Fiji Orchid
    View more hotels in Lautoka
    All reviews raymond burr sleeping giant mosquito net free in room wifi glass shower impeccable staff small establishment nadi airport tropical oasis boutique hotel the main house minutes from the airport hindu temple mini fridge perfect place to relax our honeymoon mud pools
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 23 December 2023

Before embarking on a long trip to Australia, I knew I would need someplace to decompress; to allow me to relax after months of stressful work. I decided to skip the busy resorts in Fiji (too many people) and searched for a smaller property. The Fiji Orchid fit my needs and I booked.
    What a fantastic choice I made! The grounds are lush, beautiful and well kept. The individual bungalow I booked is massive, clean and extremely comfortable. It was like a dream
    The staff are kind and attentive. Always with a smile and a warm greeting.
    I was fortunate enough to be able to spend some time with the owners; we struck up a nice friendship and I was able to learn so much about them, their business and the island. I intend to stay in contact with these lovely people
    I also intend to explore the South Pacific and I now have a base from which to do so. I will definitely be re-visiting The Fiji Orchid, before and/or after, any adventures I have in Oceania.

Date of stay: November 2023
    • Trip type: Travelled solo
    1  Thank markus027
    Reviewed 21 November 2023 via mobile

5 star prices, 3 star quality. Our bure was lovely, but not 5 star. The overall appearance was worn. The mosquito Net was cheap and had numerous holes. The garbage can in the bathroom was dented and rusty, the canvas roof was filthy…all not a big deal but when they are charging $720 FJ per night, it should be pristine.
    We had booked the Fiji Orchid for two nights to celebrate my 65th birthday, which was to be the second night. This was a highlight of our trip to Fiji. We planned on having my birthday dinner at the Orchid, after eating there our first night, we changed our plan. I ordered the consume ($26) it was a small serving with a few veggies in it, tasteless and bland. I ordered the creamy curried prawns as my main ($40) the prawns (several small prawns or large shrimp) were over cooked and tough. And they were not in a curry sauce, rather a sweet seafood like sauce. The exact sauce was served as a condiment at the Boatshed where we ended up for my birthday dinner.(and had an excellent meal)
    The worst part of the evening was the service. I realize that our server was “in training”, she was lovely, but over anxious. She hovered, walked by, constantly checking on our progress and ready to whisk away items finished with. Mid meal I put down my fork to take a sip of my drink, she was immediately there asking if I was done. It was not a relaxing meal, I left the meal feeling stressed and unhappy with the food and service. I told my husband, I will not go back for my birthday dinner!

Room tip: Pretty much summed up in my review.
    Date of stay: November 2023
    Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Peter Bourke, Owner at The Fiji Orchid, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2024

Bula Mary, thank you for taking your time to post a review of your experience with us. Firstly I must point out that The Fiji Orchid is a small, unique boutique hotel and while we do not claim any star rating, we are rated by the whom-evers as four star. We do not claim to be five star and our pricing is certainly not five star. In fact, as per Expedia, F$720 per night is spot-on the average price for a room night in Fiji. Five star resort accommodation in Fiji is F$2,000 upwards.
    Glad to hear that you found your bure to be lovely and that the drawbacks were not a big deal. But I am concerned about your comments on our food and restaurant, an area where we pride ourselves as being well above average. The kitchen and restaurant staff have read your review and are understandably upset with their performance on that night. Thank you for saying that you were not relaxed and were stressed and unhappy. I apologise to you, as do my staff who were on duty that evening, especially our trainee. It was certainly not their intention to make you feel that way. I hope your husband was okay.
    As a boutique hotel, we pride ourselves in delivering friendly, individual service to each and every guest,

Reviewed 9 October 2023

A tranquil, peaceful retreat set in magnificent gardens, we found the Fiji Orchid the ideal place before continuing to our ultimate destination in Fiji. If you don't find the larger hotels personable enough the Fiji Orchid is well worth considering. With only six bures it has a laid back l feel just right or our first night on holiday. We swam in the pool which we had to ourselves and eat like kings at their intimate restaurant surrounded by orchids. The food was outstanding and very reasonably priced . I can thoroughly recommend the Orchid as an alternative to the resorts at Denerau and it's about the same distance from the airport .

Room tip: the restaurant is outstanding but book early. It has become popular with locals
    Date of stay: September 2023
    • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 11 September 2023

The website photos makes this look like a luxe stay but the bures have a tired, worn-out feel and need a lot of maintenance. I suspect the pictures were taken fifteen years ago when the resort opened and not much upkeep has been done since. The floors are faded and scratched - a simple refinishing would go a long way. The structure has apparently settled as there are gaps in the joints and the bathroom ceiling sags. Speaking of the bathroom, the shower head has corroded out in a few places and delivers a seriously inconsistent spray.

Design-wise, the water closet is too small: everything is based on one-meter squares and it's smaller than an airplane toilet. (I hit my head on the door every time I sat down on the toilet). The water heater for our bure is much too small (probably 100 litres) and running out of hot water was the norm. Also no showers back-to-back, the heater needs recovery time.

While the photos show all of these wide-open doors to let the outside in, when we suggested it the staff said it was a bad idea because of all the mosquitos. They also helpfully suggested that we don't take a walk to the beach down the road as a number of guests have been robbed while walking down the road.

I'm not sure how the website can claim that the bures are 860 square feet; the interior space is 4x8 meters (344 sq feet) and including the outside verandah, the size is 52 sq meters (560 sq feet). Maybe the footprint of the canvas roof is 860 square feet but claiming that as the size of the bure is quite a stretch.

On the positive side: The grounds are beautiful, the staff was very helpful and the food was quite good. If the owners had just taken six months of the COVID shutdown to perform some routine maintenance, and if the grounds were in a safer location, this would have been an easy recommendation. As it is, we wouldn't return and I wouldn't recommend it to friends...

Date of stay: September 2023
    • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Bula George, firstly I must thank you for the autographed photo of Raymond Burr that you left for us, such a treasure. And I thank you for your review, being quite a contrast to our other reviews. It has been most helpful, especially your comments about the worn-out feel of your bure. That has made us spring into action. Since your stay we have refurbished that bure to the same standard as all our bures. So sorry to hear that you hit your head on the door every time you sat on the toilet. I'm not sure how that could happen as our toilet cubicle floor area (4ft x 4ft or 1.2mt x 1.2mt) is very much larger than the area of an aircraft toilet floor. You are mistaken with your estimate of the bure size. Your one metre squares are in fact 1.2 meter squares (4ft x 4ft).
    There are mosquitos about all over Fiji , being in the tropics, we do keep them to a minimum at The Fiji Orchid. Our staff are mindful of your comfort and will advise you to shut the wide-open doors around sunset, as this is "mozzie time" all over Fiji. Our staff will also helpfully advise you not to take a walk to the beach, not because it is not safe, but because it is a public beach and is not kept clean. None of our guests have been robbed walking down the road. Fiji is a very safe destination in comparison to most countries around the world. In my opinion, safer than going to most first world countries as a tourist. I hope that, while you will not be returning to The Fiji Orchid, you will return to the Fiji Islands.

Reviewed 31 July 2023 via mobile

Beautiful, peaceful location with wonderful staff, nothing is a problem to them, they are there to please.
    Accommodation, very comfy bed, rainwater shower, and good pressure. Food was magnificently presented. We had breakfast room service, such a luxury whilst on holidays.

Figero, the resident cat, will come and visit while you are having meals. He is sociable and wanders in to say meow! He is not a problem.

Two things I would like to mention, with having both knees replaced and a hip, I had difficulty getting out of the swimming pool, getting in was fine as I jumped in at the deep end. A handrail at the steps would be welcomed. With boardwalks either side of the bures, a fold out clothes line would be handy to hang wet bathers.

Special mention to Meme, Emily, "flashlight Johnny" to guide us back to bed.

Love to all, Paula & John Bure 6 😚😚