Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Elizabeth T

Beyond Expectations

Review of Turtle Island
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 3 weeks ago
Beyond expectations! ...and we truly weren't sure what to expect as we seek locations that remain "untouched" and true to the culture and its people. The attention to detail in all areas...and those we didn't even think about...are so well thought out and executed. From the minute, we landed we were embraced with the love, care, and genuine friendship of the most wonderful people - we miss the staff and the friendships made and counting the days to our return as we will be back! Luxury accommodations, 5-star food, unmatched scenery...but in the most unpretentious environment - five-star flip flop vibe! Sundresses and bare feet for dinner! The beauty of no Wi-Fi(except in one area) allows real connections and conversations with other guests and staff - no casually drifting to grab or look at phone. We loved our afternoons exploring the beaches - all diverse and unique - starfish at one, coral reef for snorkeling at another, velvet sand and shells for days at another...etc...We also loved the self-sufficiency and enviro-friendly sustainability of the island and realized how most of the world complicates and compromises so much in an effort to produce what Turtle Island does so simply and beautifully! The food was amazing, and the pastry chef is single handedly responsible for adding some pounds to our return weight for the seaplane back to the mainland! ...and we are not sad about it! If you choose to go - and we highly recommend it - you can engage in as much or as little as you want, but we highly encourage plugging in and spending time with the staff as you will leave changed - and for the better - from spending time with the Fijian people. We are eternally grateful for our time at Turtle and left heart and soul refreshed! We look forward to our return!
Date of stay: June 2024
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Island Manager, General Manager at Turtle Island, responded to this review
Responded 3 weeks ago
Bula Beth & Kimbrough ,

Thank you so much for your glowing review! We are absolutely thrilled to hear that your experience at Turtle Island went beyond your expectations. Thank you for your recommendation and for encouraging future guests to immerse themselves in the Turtle Island experience. We eagerly await your return and look forward to welcoming you back to soon. Sota tale! Love your Turtle Island Family
$744
  • Booking.com
    $744
3.7 km from Turtle Island
Restaurant
The double bure (semi-detached)
$748
Reception New
71.5 km from Turtle Island
Free parking
Pool
Gathering place for meals, tea and happy hour
26.0 km from Turtle Island
View more hotels in Nanuya Levu
All reviews bure mama private beach other guests our honeymoon new friends fijian staff communal table deep sea fishing sea plane fijian culture the entire staff welcome home long beach picnic lunch once in a lifetime lobster magical place
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was our 8th trip to Turtle Island. There is no place like it in the world. It is not like any vacation you have ever taken in the past and you will want to return over and over. In 7 days, you will LOVE the staff like your own family and you will have new friends from all over the world ! The food is amazing! The water & beaches are gorgeous. The accommodations are 5-star. There truly are no words that describe the magic of this place!!

Date of stay: June 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Island Manager, General Manager at Turtle Island, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Bula Jerry and Butch,

Thank you both so much for your incredible review! We are beyond grateful for your kind words and thrilled that you had such a memorable 8th trip to Turtle Island.

We are delighted to hear that Turtle Island holds a special place in your hearts and that you find it unlike any other vacation spot in the world. Your appreciation for our staff, the food, the beaches, and our accommodations means the world to us.

Thank you once again for your loyalty and for choosing Turtle Island. We can't wait to welcome you back for your 9th visit! Sota tale! Love your Turtle Island Family

Reviewed 3 June 2024

Indescribably wonderful; truly a special experience! The staff attended to every possible detail with the finest hospitality. The week was a perfect blend of socializing, private time, relaxing, adventure, amazing food and drink, new experiences, and just plain fun. Vinaka to the Turtle Island staff! We have booked a second trip already.

Date of stay: May 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Island Manager, General Manager at Turtle Island, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2024

Bula Carolynl & Bruce,
Thank you so much for your glowing review! We are thrilled to hear that your stay with us was indescribably wonderful and that you enjoyed every aspect of your experience on Turtle Island. We can't wait to have you both again on the island. Sota tale! Love your Turtle Island Family

Reviewed 21 May 2024

Turtle Island was a dream. My now fiance and I visited this May to celebrate my birthday and we also got engaged. The staff is excellent. They made me feel very special on the night of my birthday and assisted my fiance with his proposal. The food was exceptional, I am a vegetarian and the cook went above and beyond to make me my own creations. The private villas are lovely. They include a double shower, two toilets, two sinks, a spa and outside day bed. You also have your own section of beach right out front. The views are incredible. The snorkeling is beautiful. The people are the best.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Island Manager, General Manager at Turtle Island, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2024

Bula Danielle & Jordan,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt review! We are overjoyed to hear that Turtle Island was a dream for you and your fiancé. It's wonderful that we could help make your birthday and engagement so special.

Congratulations again! We look forward to welcoming you back for more incredible moments. Sota tale. Love your Turtle Island Family

Reviewed 15 May 2024

Talking about Kava. It’s the most magical root plant on earth in my opinion. It was harvested from the roots of a tree and the older the tree is , the stronger the Kava will be. We’ve drank kava for five night straight, starting from 3 a night to 10 tsunamis on Friday. It comes in three different sizes, low tide, high tide and tsunami. It makes your tongue numb a little bit and it tastes like medicine. But you know what ? The best part is that I slept like a baby which never happened for the last seven years since I had William, my oldest son. I wish Kava can be introduced more in US. I truly believe in its power to bring people back to nature and improve the sleep quality in the most natural way, not by drinking alcohol or medication.

Bill is the manager of operations on Turtle Island. He looks serious most of the time. And I can tell that he has millions of thoughts in his head because his mission is to make the guests happy. I also believe that he is playing a big role on this island like a father to lots of the younger staff. They all respect him very much.

Mama Lo is our Bura 7’s mama. She is a quiet person and doesn’t talk too much. But I can tell that she has the warmest heart and takes care of her Bura families very thoughtfully. She seems super patient with every single request that we put out there. And she tries her best to meet our needs. We have danced together so much on Friday night. And It’s sad and unfortunate that we are leaving the next day. Mama Lo has four kids and she is divorced. Luckily she has her sister who can help taking care of the kids when she is away from them. We will be back mama Lo. We won’t make you waiting for long.

Turtle island asks their employees to work 5 weeks and the gives them one week off. During the family time, the island will be shut down since all employees are sent home to enjoy time with their families. The island owner, Richard, has done such an incredible job taking care of the Fiji community and his staff. Everyone here are beyond happy.

Jerry and Inia are the funniest guys on the island. Both of them have great smiles, especially great at the “Kava Smile” after drinking the typhoon bowl of Kava. It was hilarious!
Inia was the guy who picks us up from the ferry. He also took us to the Butterfly reefs for snorkeling.
Jerry has a lot of knowledge and history of the island. He jokes a lot and makes himself a very fun person to hangout with.
Erami feels like a big uncle to me. He is always so warm and carries big smiles on his face. He teaches us the first rule on the island, which is “Kip smiling”. I love the optimism the entire island brings. He is going to be 55 on May 12th, 2024. It’s Mother’s Day on the 12th and all man will cook for the women. I don’t know if I want to eat food on the island that day. Luckily, we are leaving on the 11th.

Mere, there is no better song like “You are the sunshine , the only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray “ to describe the greatest character you have.

Last but not the least, our fishman of the week, Micah, has helped us caught a yellowfin tuna. Everyone enjoyed it. So as me who loves sashimi and sushi. Micah is like a big brother I’ve never had. I can’t wait to be back to catch our next 100 lbs fish that I lost this time.

Tracey, one of my favorite Bura friends who stayed in Bura 8, once said that Sera is the Fiji queen. I couldn’t agree with her more. She always greets me in the cafeteria every morning with the biggest smile on her face and a small kiss on my cheek and a warmest hug. It was the best smile I could ever get every morning and the best part is that I got tons of energy to start my day with.

There are so many staffs that greet us every day with Bula bula and the big smiles. Unfortunately, I don’t remember all of their names. But when I come back next time, I hope to get to know each one of you.

I believe the cocktail and dinner time is the smartest idea for getting people together. Unlike other resorts, we are “forced” to sit down at the same table together and talk to our neighbors of the day. It’s a great way to make friends and we have never missed a day and we will never miss the opportunity to meet more people in the future when we come back.

I’ve seen many many beautiful places in China and US. But nothing is nearly comparable with this Turtle Island. What makes this place unique is the people here. Your hospitality, your happiness and your power of love are the most inspiring and memorable things here. There’s no other place on earth that deserves to be called our second home than here. I wrote this from the bottom of my heart.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Island Manager, General Manager at Turtle Island, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2024

Bula Ben & Li,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience! We’re thrilled you enjoyed your stay and the unique charm of Turtle Island. Your kind words about our staff and the special moments you had mean a lot to us. We can’t wait to welcome you back! Sota tale! Love your Turtle Island Family

Reviewed 30 April 2024

This is the experience of a lifetime for seasoned travelers. It is a one-of-a-kind experience which emerges you in the 4,000-year-old history of the Figi people. The Island itself is an amazing story and one of the most beautiful places on earth. All while doing it in first class luxury! This was our second trip and the friendships you make will last a lifetime.

Room tip: It is the South Pacific, bring your bug spray, lots of it, and the strong stuff. Despite, the bugs it will be the trip of a lifetime.
Date of stay: April 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Island Manager, General Manager at Turtle Island, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2024

Bula George & Kathi,
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are honored to be your home away from home. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon! Sota tale! Love your Turtle Island Family