See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 August 2016

I almost didn't go to Vuna. Transportation from Matei is infrequent and involves a bus change in Naqara. I'd heard there was no accommodation and nowhere to eat. It had apparently been devastated by Cyclone Winston in February.

Fortunately I decided to go. I phoned Salote at Vuna Lodge in advance and booked a place to sleep. True, the place had not yet reopened completely, as the dorm was indeed severely damaged. But Salote agreed to let me stay in one of the rooms of her home for a reasonable cost. She is a lovely and gracious hostess, and what a good cook! You don't have to eat there, but honestly there's no other choice unless you bring your own food. I had brought along cereal for breakfast and some instant noodles, and there was no problem using the kitchen to heat them up.

The view out front is gorgeous and I think I got one of my prettiest sunset photos ever! I went snorkelling one day, however the coral is all broken after the cyclone and there wasn't much to see except for all the clothing and household effects that were washed into the sea months ago. Perhaps if someone had a boat and you could get a bit further from the shore, the reef might be more intact.

I also enjoyed wandering around the village and talking to the local people. Most of the homes were seriously damaged by the cyclone and rebuilding is very slow. The school a bit further down the road was also partially destroyed and some classes now take place in large UNICEF tents. I visited for a couple of hours, sang some songs with the kids, and talked with some of the teachers. On the way back I was fortunate to see how women pounded tree bark for hours to make a soft fabric called "tapa." I had the pleasure of meeting the village headman and presenting him with some "kava." The people everywhere were so friendly, despite having only recently lost their homes and possessions.

When you get off the bus just near the lower village, someone will point you down the path to Vuna Lodge, only a few minute's walk. On the way, on your right, you can stop off and see a small factory that produces virgin coconut oil, an interesting process to watch.

Salote could use some financial help to rebuild her lovely lodge, so if you know any generous benefactors ... well, contributions for building materials and paint would be greatly appreciated. (By the way, this is MY idea, not Salote's.)

There is also a blowhole in the vicinity, active during high tide, but too far to walk. I had hoped to see it, but without my own transportation, I was unable to get there.

If you have time during your stay in Taveuni, try to stay a few days at Vuna Lodge. It's a welcoming, picturesque, and peaceful place which is hard to leave.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Janet W
Reviewed 27 May 2016 via mobile

Room was nice and big with own toilet and shower. Shower was cold and preasure was poor. The owner, Salote was nice.
They only had one room to rent for the travellers. The cyclone destroyed some of their buildings so Salote and her mom was living one of the double rooms.

Location, far away from everything. Bus runs 3 times a day if you want catch that. Taxi drives asks different prices 10-60FJD.

It was bit sad, Salote said that they used to get fresh fruits and vegetables from garden but that cyclone destroyed everything. And it takes while to grow again.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janika P
Reviewed 22 August 2015

This place is a small wee gem by the beach in the village of Vuna. It is clean as a whistle, with an absolutely beautiful garden. It is very good value and the meals are huge and delicious. The owner and her helper are delightful. Salote took me out on her boat to snorkel in the lagoon and drove me to a horse riding place in her car. Thank you Salote.

Room Tip: I had a spacious double room with a private bathroom. There is a large veranda facing the sea and the sunset.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Caz B
Reviewed 4 September 2014

I have stayed here on one occasion and recently returned to have lunch. Once again I was struck by the peace and beauty of the surroundings and the people. It is basic but so clean and the kitchen is delightful. The verandah is set up to take in the view and a few steps away from the water's edge. Salote cooks beautifully - lunch was fish caught that night and was amazing. There is such grace and friendship here - without being intrusive. I recommend it for those on a budget but still wanting good accommodation and good food.

Room Tip: All are good
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank christine807
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Really enjoyed our stay in the double room. Solar hot water, power in the evening, nice shared kitchen. Beautiful grounds. Get off the bus (going south) at the large building on the left (and bus stop on the right) just before Vuna Village (sorry, but no better landmark and no lodging sign at the road when we stayed). Walk down the path past/behind the bus shelter past several houses and the path curves to the left and then you've found it. We had meals prepared by "one of the Salotes" and they were very good. The word is that Vuna Reef was really damaged by Cyclone Thomas and then the crown-of-thorns starfish, and so we didn't bother trying to snorkel out to that reef. (Took 2 great boat trips to Rainbow reef). If you swim out into the lagoon in front of the Lodge, go to the right an swim about 15 minutes to find a wonderful protected beach with lots of sand. I called the Lodge directly to book.

Room Tip: The double room is nice, but the solar-powered light on the porch may keep you up if its on/off pull-down string is still broken. Prepare to block the light with a towel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family