“Great local place ”
Review of Sunset Diner

Sunset Diner
Ranked #47 of 135 Restaurants in Asbury Park
Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Honest. Good diner food. Typical jersey diner. The waitstaff are either over the top nice or super rude just as it should be. They've been around forever. I can't find any fault here with the food. It's not the four seasons but it's typical jersey diner food Greek owned.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed 28 January 2017

Two women, here on a Saturday afternoon, enjoying the omelettes. The omelette that I had was so large, I mentally prepared to eat only half, but it was so delicious that I finished the entire plate! It had red peppers, asparagus and mozzarella and was served with hash browns. I would definitely eat here again!

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 12 December 2016

We ate breakfast here early on a Saturday two years ago. What we remember was that everyone looked at us like "Hey, you're not a regular here!" But this was more than made up for by the great service, absolutely delicious omelets, and memorable service. We returned last night with a group, and were curious to see if dinner would be as good. It was as good or better! We all started up with a cup of matzoh ball soup, and all of us raved about the texture of the matzoh ball (in between dense and fluffy) and the taste of the soup: It wasn't just broth, but a nice soup with pieces of chicken and carrots, as well as orzo. We had a variety of dishes, including Chicken Souvlaki, Greek combination, Yankee Pot Roast, Filet of Sole, and the Sunset Burger. Again, all of us raved about how tasty everything was. And everything was on some kind of dinner special, so we all got the soup, veggies, sides and dessert. I had the Chicken Souvlaki: Tender, marinated chicken on skewers, hot pita wedges, an ample serving of Greek salad and a generous portion of authentic tzatziki. I love Greek food in diners, and this was the real deal. For dessert, most of us chose the bread pudding, which was so moist and flavorful none of us needed the whipped cream which was offered. Everyone took a doggie bag home. And the cherry on the sundae was that for six of us, with all the yummy food, soup-dinner-dessert and leftovers, the bill came to just $86, including tax! Where does that happen any more?! And the cherry on the cherry was the caring and warm service provided by our server, with each of us called "Honey". We'll definitely be back, and our ultimately goal will be to one of those people looking at newcomers and thinking "Hey, you're not a regular....but you're in for a treat!"

Date of visit: December 2016
1  Thank Ken J
Reviewed 19 September 2016

Maybe this was just a glitch of the day (Sunday afternoon, after the main lunchtime) but an otherwise good dining experience was brought down by 2 fairly long-unserviced bathrooms, windowsills with sticky debris that attracted small flies, and seats that had not been brushed off. That said, our meals were good and our waitress outstanding. The space itself is pleasant and comfortable. I had scrod with basil, garlic, and tomatoes, found it fresh and well prepared. My husband had more typical diner fare, a feta omelet, and it too was good. My salad was delicious and fresh except for one tiny slimy fragment of lettuce, which should not have been there. This is not a greasy spoon joint... my feeling is that attention to detail was a little off. It was good enough overall that I will likely give it another chance when in the area.

Date of visit: September 2016
1  Thank JerseyJean
Reviewed 4 September 2016

Great inexpensive place for great food and good value for your money. They have generous portions and a large selection of foods to choose from. You can get a great meal there for breakfast, lunch or dinner. All of their meals are very good. My favorite is their steak and eggs. Good value for the money. Service is also very good. Nice clean restaurant.

Date of visit: August 2016