All reviews free shuttle train station different theme walking street the humble administrator's garden hotel is located shuttle service hotel card unique hotel would definitely stay here again included in the room rate excellent location shopping area breakfast buffet taxi driver chinese restaurant huge selection
Reviewed 1 April 2018

This hotel fell so far bellow our expectations. At check in we attracted a gang of about 5 front desk employees who all gathered around getting in each others way. It seemed like they just wanted to watch. None of them spoke a word of English and were extremely curt and borderline rude. We went back to the front desk later for various things and exactly the same thing happened. For a major hotel in a touristy area of a tourist city it's astonishing to have nobody with even basic English.

The room is adequate, but lacks the "soul" of the photos the hotel put out. It's the same room, but the feeling is not there. Whatever they paid the photographer who took those photos it's not enough because they've done a great job for the hotel. The room just feels like a bellow par and slightly worn business hotel room. The carpet was filthy (see photo) and the window is clouded almost all the way up making it impossible to see out of (see photo) so it just feels like a room without a window. The internet was fine and seemed reliable.

The elevators all were in a different, cool, style and the landing outside the rooms is unique and fun with bizarre hall of mirror mirrors along the way. It gives the hotel a sense of fun, and if they put that much effort into employing decent staff they'd have a great hotel. But as it with so many other things being bellow standard it gives the impression of style over substance.

Breakfast is great. It's way above the standard of the rest of the hotel. The restaurant itself was very crowded and it was a bit of a free for all at the buffet, but the food and coffee was excellent with an excellent selection of both Western and Chinese stuff. Breakfast is the reason I gave this hotel 3 instead of 2.

Check out was fine as we finally had someone who spoke English and knows how much difference a smile makes.

The location is good just 2 minutes walk from a metro station and on a side street of an extremely crowded and noisy shopping area. It's basically in the middle of the old part of Suzhou.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Excellent food and service at Soul Bar! Try Japanese Pork chop cutlet rice bowl and fish & chips! Cathy is wonderful! Hotel is super stylish and staff is very attentive. A boutique hotel close to excellent sites!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2018

I had two nights here during a business trip. It was a last minute booking and I wasn't sure exactly where I should stay as I haven't been to Suzhou before. I found the Hotel Soul on TA and booked with an online booking agent. Unable to confirm my banking details due to no verification possibility with my Chinese mobile number, I arrived without a booking.

The welcome was nice and friendly and the English was pretty good for this neck of the woods. My booking could not be found, which is understandable, but a good rate was negotiated nevertheless. I was given a room on the 4th floor and I must admit that I never asked for a non smoking room, but it wasn't offered either. I assume that due to the low rate that I was offered, this room was the only one available? The hotel has a very strange decor which is not offensive, just strange (to me anyway).

The room was large with a nice big bathroom, no view at all because the windows had a sandblast finish on them to allow light through but not to see though.
This was fine for me as I was going to spend most of the time out anyway. The smell of smoke was bearable but unpleasant.
Shower was great, nice instant hot water and strong pressure.
The rest of it was ok but everything looked slightly tired. At the rate I paid it was excellent value for money and I would definitely stay here again.

The front desk staff were very helpful and there is a lot to see around the hotel. The "walking street" is about 50 metres away but the real treat are the canals which are about a 20 minute walk away. I thought I had arrived in Venice when I saw the first canal. It is a truly beautiful area to spend time in and I suspect that it attracts a fair number of tourists as well as business people. Breakfast was good and on a par with most other Chinese hotels for range of food and quality.

The thing which stood out for me was the interest shown in me when I checked out and this just made the whole stay a little more pleasant. It costs nothing to make sure that the guest was satisfied and, for this, they get 100%. Well done to the lady who checked me out!

Room Tip: If you want non smoking, make sure you ask for it.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Was here in December 2017 on a family trip. This hotel surpassed the standards of any expectations. Service was amazing; from the moment we arrived till the day we left the hotel. All the staff we met were just so pleasant.

The most memorable was their breakfast buffet; one of the best ever!! And that is saying something. It was on par with a 5-star hotel buffet (or even better!). There was a huge selection of Asian (yummy local Chinese food) and Western cuisine.

Location-wise, it is right inside a shopping and food district, so there is plenty to see, buy and eat at the doorstep.

Just a little drawback was that they stated there was a free shuttle from the train station and I emailed them to make a booking but I didn't get any reply or acknowledgement at all. Would have been polite to at least reply even if it was not available. Other than that, everything else was perfect. Will recommend this place.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Leonice L
Reviewed 22 February 2018

1.Location: most tourist attractions of Suzhou are in walking distance from the hotel! 2.Our room on non-smoking floor was spacious and clean, so was the bathroom. 3. Breakfast buffet has a wide selection of dishes for any tastes (western and local), the food was delicious. 4.Reception stuff is very welcoming, helpful and English-speaking.
On top of that, I've somehow managed to forget my scarf in the room and found out that it wasn't packed several days later. After a phone conversation with the Soul Hotel reception the scarf was found and shipped to our hotel in another city faster than I could have imagined! Our stay in the hotel was thoroughly enjoyable! Thank you!!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple