See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 August 2018

I spent 4 days in Suzhou this month for a business conference and I must say that I am actually quite impressed with Suzhou and its surroundings. I did not quite see the Venice of China as is illustrated in the tourist magazines but the city was indeed criss-crossed with water canals with some pretty Chinese style bridges, generally very green and well built up with several modern Western style quartiers and leisure spots. Marriott Hotel was one of those relatively recently built up hotels by the lake and the golf course with its twin hotel Radisson firmly attached right through its bowels and sharing common management conference facilities and amenities. The cleanliness and quality of the material and finish was fairly visible everywhere in the hotel from the reception to the rooms to conference facilities and bars and restaurants. The room was big, clean and comfortable with many little luxuries and sleeping was a joy on the big, comfortable bed and in the quiet setting of the hotel. The staff were nice and friendly with a big smile (at least most of them), however, the majority was very inexperienced and spoke hardly any or very little English. That, of course, made life a little difficult and complicated when it came to asking about the food at breakfast or ordering a coffee in the reception cafe or checking the availability of spirits at the bar. Overall a reasonably good stay but once the staff is better trained/experienced and can communicate with international customer much better, it will be a great business and leisure hotel for all.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views of the golf course and lake.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Zeta Y, Public Relations Manager at Suzhou Marriott Hotel Taihu Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for choosing Suzhou Marriott Hotel Taihu Lake. As a Marriott valued guest ,we see that there are few areas for improvement based on your feedback. Please accept our apology for not meeting your expectations during your stay. We already shared your comments to related department and concerned people to take actions to improve.
Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose Suzhou Marriott Hotel Taihu Lake the next time you're in Suzhou.

Reviewed 7 July 2018

I stayed at this hotel during a long weekend holiday. Honestly, the hotel exterior and the room are modern and stylish with quite decent views of the Taihu Lake. Had the service been just no awful, this trip could have been a pleasant one. Unfortunately this was not the case - it terms of service quality, the management has disappointed on all fronts - none of the good impression from the hardware could undo the damages from the genuinely terrible service attitude and unprofessional staff conducts. The hotel staff, including the junior management like the Front Desk Manager I had the interaction with, are urgently needing for more proper trainings on client interactions and better understand their responsibility. Below is a list of issues during my stay (which were reported but the hotel gave zero response/apology for), ranked by my perception of severity.

(1) A number of unattended minors (below the age of 10) played around with fitness equipment in the gym in extremely reckless manners (such as jumping on and off treadmills) that could lead to severe injuries. Upon witnessing this, I immediately reported this to the staff at recreational center front desk, claiming that this is extremely dangerous for both the users of the fitness equipment and the kids. The first staff responded negatively with the statement that "the kids entered the room with their parents holding the room key so we are not responsible for maintaining the ordinance within the gym". I could not believe this how they deal with this and immediately asked for the escalation to her senior and highlighted the legal ramifications should there be any injuries - who immediately responded and entered the gym for this. While I appreciate the second staff's prompt reaction, the apathetic response from the first staff demonstrates the working attitude of the staff overall in this hotel (which is my perception after interacting with the other staff).

(2) The room wasn't ready when I arrived at 3:30PM (despite I had completed online check-in and entered 3PM arrival on the Marriott App), and I had to wait for 2 hours until 5:30 PM to get my room. To make this matter worse, the front desk manager, Shawn Gu, who spoke with me extremely impatiently, insisted that even if I had done the online check-in, the hotel doesn't have to get the room ready, and that I better learn more about the Marriott hotel policy rather than getting upset about the situation.

First of all, I was checking-in 3PM in the afternoon which is already beyond than the ordinary check-in time (12-1 PM), and the majority of hotels would have been apologizing for not having the room ready and politely ask the customers to wait. In addition, online check-in service at Marriott means a promise to get the room & room key ready upon arrival unless Force Majeure, so what the FDM (Shawn Gu) was talking about was completely outrageous. As an elite member of Marriott for so many years, it has been rare for not having the room after online check-in, and it was probably the first time that the hotel staff was trying to arrogantly "educate" a customer about the hotel policy rather than apologizing.

(3) One-day prior to arrival, I have contacted the agent via the Marriott App regarding the bed type (2 Twin/Double) and the possibility for upgrades as an Elite member. The agent said the request was taken and they will do their best to offer the upgrades.

On the day of arrival, I learnt from the change of room type on the Marriott App that the room was upgraded for one-level (as per Marriott Policy), but the bed type looked wrong (showing King Bed). I contacted the hotel's agent by phone who transferred my call to the GSM (Guest Service Manager) on duty. The GSM told me that he did not see the request on bed type preference but did see the room has been upgraded. He said it is too late to change the bed type as the Double Bed is sold out and offered me to set up the bed linen on the sofa and told me that the room would be ready on my arrival at 3PM. However, when I arrived that the hotel at 3:30PM, I was told that the room was not upgraded, and the bed linens are not set up. Subsequently, I was told that the room was not even ready as mentioned on bullet 2 above. To make the matter worse, the bed linens on the sofa was not ready after I waited over two hours and getting into my room exhausted. It took them another hour to eventually get the bed linens on the bed which was ridiculous.

In short, from the 3 incidents above (with so many other more trivial glitches too much to elaborate), I left the hotel extremely unpleasantly and none of this issue was properly addressed as I receive no apologies and believe the FDM just concealed my complaints. Well, this is why evidently why there are so much issues with the team on this property. It's taking me some time to write this and post this on Tripadvisor but I think it's worth it to voice this out - please avoid this property if you are looking for a holiday escape without experiencing the sheer high amount of disappointments from your hotel service staff.

Stayed: June 2018
Zeta Y, Public Relations Manager at Suzhou Marriott Hotel Taihu Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Dear chenris,

Thank you for choosing Suzhou Marriott Hotel Taihu Lake during your recent stay and for sharing your detailed review with us. I am delighted to learn that you were satisfied with the hotel environment and facilities. Unfortunately, I deeply regret that room arrangement was not up to your expectations, which marred your arrival experience. Please accept my deepest apologies also about other incidents you noted on your review. I have discussed those opportunities with our guest service team who is currently reviewing this issue with the departments concerned.

Once again, please accept our deepest apologies as we failed to provide you with an exceptional weekend with us. We thank you for your insightful comments and would appreciate the opportunity to further discuss the issues with you.

Should your schedule permit, you can reach out me, by email at Eric.Gj.Chen@marriott.com for further discussion. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

Good experience and the Hotel is located near the Beautiful lake. The hotel staff is very nice and fridendly. The hotel lounge is quiet in Friday evenings and HH provided menu good instead of buffet. The service staff Eva and Tracy are very nice and kind -:)

Review collected in partnership with 单个酒店
Zeta Y, Public Relations Manager at Suzhou Marriott Hotel Taihu Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Dear golfzhang,

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel service and food & beverage experience at our Executive Lounge, very nice to know Eva and Tracy are impressed you, we always put a high premium on providing genuine care and comfort for our esteemed guests.

We look forward to welcoming you with another equally pleasant experience on your next visit.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Amazing clean room & great staff. Special thanks yo Tracy, Cynthia & Tiffany. All the best for all of you.
Amazing scenery of Taihu Lake. We can enjoy cycling and playing golf here.
Good weather and unforgetable memory

Review collected in partnership with 单个酒店
Zeta Y, Public Relations Manager at Suzhou Marriott Hotel Taihu Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Dear whacsa,

Thank you very much for your brilliant review. I am trulg grateful to hear that the service provided byTracy, Cynthia and Tiffany went above and beyond your expectations. We always strive for perfection and only want to provide the finest personal service and facilities for our guests to enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Hotel very nice and clean, new Hotel with good standard and very good landscape.
Their staff also nice and very helpfull, new few of them name Cynthia, Tiffany and Tracy
Will surely comeback for next trip in suzhou.
;)

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Zeta Y, Public Relations Manager at Suzhou Marriott Hotel Taihu Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Dear evn11,

Thank you very much for your lovely review!

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful journey with us and enjoyed our exceptional service. We are pround that the service provided by Cynthia, Tiffany and Tracy lived up to your expectations. Marriott always put a high premium on providing genuine care and comfort for our esteemed guests.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours Sincerely,