Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Richard A
Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Four Night Sanya Holiday

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 17 Jul 2021
The staff work very hard to make your stay pleasant. The hotel is at the end of the road surrounded by the beach and a hill. It is very clean. The rooms a good to stay in usual with other hotels we have stayed in. The breakfast was interesting geared more to Chinese people rather than western person. The pool is good ,very big, the water was very hot and I found it difficult to swim in, but great just relaxing, it does need a bit more shade areas. I liked that a lifeguard told a parent off for leaving their very young child on their own so she go off and have a swim on her own (shocking parenting). Great access to the local shops, beach front restaurants.

Would I stay again yes. I would look at the executive package
Date of stay: July 2021
  • eDreams
16.3 km from JW Marriott Hotel Sanya Dadonghai Bay
View more hotels in Sanya
2,423 results
All reviews executive lounge korean bbq marriott platinum pools are great fantastic resort sea view moto
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 July 2021 via mobile

After staying during New Year at JW Marriot we decided to come back in July
I booked for us and in-laws via the Marriott app, all went very smooth. We arrived at the hotel, got some breakfast included (thank you), whenever we needed some assistance the staff was there, very friendly and helpful. Rooms are spacious.

For our two girls the kids club is just a Maut, they really enjoy it, pool area is what you would expect from a JW Marriot. We also like to proximity to the autograph hotel next door. This extended resort feeling nicely. Great

Food - from buffet to Korean BBQ, Chinese and western food you will find your favorite. We liked it.

In summary - was a great stay and we will come back again. Thanks 😊

Room tip: In case you get bored of the area - we booked a taxi to Atlantis water park. A great day break from 10AM to 9PM. A 45min drive away… worth!
Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank CongCongHuiHui
Reviewed 20 May 2021 via mobile

It's was a nice visit. As a Platinum member you can freely use benefits. Had no problem with Executive Lounge and upgrade of room. From all reviews earlier I have not experienced any problems except that staff speaks little English. But for me it was not a such a great problem since I used translator and my limited knowledge of Chinese. Everyone is nice and says hi. Especially Lili from the lither which served us each morning chilly and knew already what we drink. Alan from Executive Lounge is very attending and helpful. And Jina kept room our room clean.
Thank you very much for a nice vacation.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2021 via mobile

My upfront conclusion is two fold:
1. This property needs to invest more in the front line service staff
2. The higher up the brand chain you go, the less benefits you receive as an elite member.

Property itself: facilities are nice, rooms spacious. Three things that were disappointing: sauna was closed for an unexplainable reason, access to the pool was not really thought out (had to go out the main doors across the arrival laneway), and hotel didn't have direct access to the beach (this part was the function of the physical location, where the seashore was really rough).

Lounge: as an elite member I became spoiled by access to lounge facilities. To me, this is one of the most valuable perks of loyalty membership. Here, the lounge itself was quite nice, but the selection and quality of refreshments quite poor. I get that this is a perk and that hotel does not have to provide it. However, if provided, it creates expectations.

Service: by far the weakest part of the experience. First to note two positives: housekeeping staff were very good, as were the cooks and junior busboys at JW Kitchen. The rest of the front line service staff were rather bored and disinterested. Some examples:

- on arrival front desk was busy. Since I already had a confirmed room on the executive floor, I asked a passing staff member if I could check in at the lounge. She gave me a "deer in the headlights" look and walked on. I chucked it up to poor English language skills. I continued standing in the middle of the lobby looking lost, when I saw a manager nudging another staff member in my direction. I could not tell what he was saying, but he was clearly pushing his colleague to talk to me. She looked reluctant, perhaps unsure what to do. Finally, the manager noticed that I noticed and asked if I was an elite member. After an affirmative answer, the task for the reluctant colleague became clear - simply take me and my party to the lounge. She did.

- At the lounge: the process was very slow, with a staff member confused about some part of the process and having to call on another colleague, who finally arrived from front desk. Her english name on the tag was Hannah. She finally checked us in, but warned that my lounge benefit - while available to me and my wife - did not extend to my daughter who happened to turn 12 a few months ago and, therefore, no longer counted as a child. That was a disappointment. I understand that Bonvoy policy maybe only member +1, though in many hotels I have been allowed member +2 (and with colleagues, not family). I think the application of this policy needs a rethink, as a sensible thing would be to extend member's benefits to all occupants of member's room - particularly since, in any event, you typically cannot have more than 3 people per room.

The most bewildering part came later: in an attempt to correct the situation Hannah offered access to the happy hour snacks for my daughter at no charge for 2 days out of our 5 day stay. That was nice, but why only 2? Apparently, the accounting department could not allow more. Since when the accounting department dictates what a service manager can or cannot do for clients?! Then, she advised that for other services at the lounge (evening cocktails etc), the additional fee would be about $40. So, if my wife and I drop by to have a glass of wine in the evening and our daughter was to sit with us, she would have to pay $40 in case she had a bottle of water or a glass of juice? Or did they think a 12 year old kid would be imbibing with the alcoholic refreshments they had on offer? As an aside, while Chilean red and white wine served was nice, liquor selections were mainly displayed by empty bottles. The only one that was full was gin.

- in the JW Kitchen restaurant busboys and the guy who manned the coffee machine were very courteous prompt. Manager (I figured she had to be a manager, since she was the only person wearing a suit in the dining room), walked around with a demeanor of not wanting to be there.

Since the purpose of the trip was a relaxing vacation, I tried to minimize my interactions with staff to avoid aggravation. I was much more impressed with a Courtyard property that I visited in Chengdu just a few days prior; and disappointed that a higher level brand delivered lesser level of service.

I think my disappointment was exacerbated by my high expectations because (a) I usually receive outstanding service as an Elite member in Bonvoy hotels and (b) I received very good reception from this specific hotel on the phone when contacting them regarding my reservation prior to arrival. This could have been an excellent experience that hotel chose to turn into a lesser one.

Overall, 5-star look, 3-star feel.

Intercontinental just over the hill in Xiaodonghai offered us much better treatment last year, pretty much on all counts. Not sure how keen I am to explore other members of the Bonvoy group in Sanya.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank 152maximb
Reviewed 28 April 2021

Hotel has huge playground on the second floor, sand side at the pool, shadows, water toys and 50 cm pool for kids. They left us a baby toothbrush and baby shower kit.

As for the activities with kids I would recommend:
-Romance park performance & playground
-Nawang Monkey island and cable car with an amazing view (its 89 km but its the best activity we did (20 mins taxi to train station, 20 mins train to Lingshui and another 25 mins taxi). You can buy tickets in advance on Trip.com
-Yalong bay forest park - 30 mins drive, pickocks, ostrige, orchid gardens and glass bridge. Take break and kenguru to carry small kids. its fun, but physically challenging. Bring bread to feed fish.
- Atlantis aquapark and aquarium- 50 mins by taxi. Take water and sunscreen, can rent towels there. Food is Chinese (but you can bring yours); it was ok, but tiring due to big distance. They have amazing underwater restaurant and show (C show- atlantis sanya) can buy tickets on spot.
-Luhutou park- 5 mins drive. Boring, but decent view at night.
-Dadonghai beach doesnt have big waves (unlike yalong bay), but it also doesn't have showers, and its not good to go with a baby stroller through the sand. There is sea access behind the neighboring hotel. Adults can take towel from hotel and go for a swim. Not recomended for kids.
- Great bar with a view on entire Sanya in Phoenix island for adults

You can ask the concierge for help buying tickets in advance for activities. Ther are always taxi by the hotel, so transportation is easy.

Big thanks to hotel management for great service and flexibility, we enjoyed the stay and will be back!

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 15 March 2021

The JW Marriott Sanya is a huge hotel with nice rooms, lobby, swimming pool, fitness center, and restaurants. While the building is nice, the management and service at this hotel is not five-star quality and is the worst service I have experienced at a JW Marriott Hotel.

When I checked in, I was not greeted at all, and the girl at the front desk continually looked unhappy while checking me in. The check in process was chaotic as there were many guests cutting in line.

The executive lounge was a chaotic experience with several misbehaved children, adults listening to TV shows/DouYin without a headset, and guests camping out for hours waiting for their midnight flights. The staff in the lounge did not refresh or refill the food regularly during afternoon tea and during dinner. But the most appalling was how dirty the lounge was. Lounge staff raked trash/debris from the tables onto the floor when "cleaning" up after a guest. The only toilet in the lounge was also filthy (one night there was vomit on the rim of the toilet). Housekeeping would come to refill the towels, but did not clean the toilet or the floor. The hotel only offered a few liquors, and it was odd that they don't offer vodka. Only one sweet red wine was offered and no sparkling wine was available. Definitely substandard to what you get at other JW Marriotts. Perhaps the oddest thing in the lounge is that Coke Zero was kept in the back room and the only way to get one was to ask a staff member. Very odd.

Date of stay: February 2021