Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Stanley Leung
San Francisco, California

From the WORST InterContinental Experience I had, to the BEST. A second chance given…

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Aug 2021via mobile
The first few paragraphs is a pre-visit testimony written on August 7th. These were written 3 days before my visit to Sanya InterContinental Resort:

I previously came to the InterContinental Sanya Resort along with my two friends between June 28th and July 2nd. We in advance from March booked a Club InterContinental Room. Which was later upgraded to the Premium Club Room with a small pool. Unfortunately, the safety and standards of the resort was completely off my standard expectations after visiting 14 InterContinental Hotels in a year. Many safety protocols were breached including trespassing, alcohol offerings to drunk parents in front of young children, and room electrical malfunctions. The service standards from instant service, to select instances of customer service which were lacking to the standards. I was relatively disappointed, it was my second time using my Spire Ambassador Membership. I ended up writing my longest InterContinental poor review.

After being touch and speaking with many of the hotel managers including the Guest Relations Manager Nikki Ma, Assistant Club Lounge Manager Albert Li, Assistant Front Office Manager Terry Geng, Director of Rooms Terrance Sheng and General Manager Weifang Li; we have agreed on a set of compensations that would motivate a second return. We just did not know when.

From August 10th to the 13th, we initially planned a trip to Xiamen in Fujian Province. We wanted to try the InterContinental Hotel there, but also to visit many attractions there. However as I type this before my trip, there is a medium-risk area 1 kilometer next to the hotel. We scrapped the plans for Xiamen and decided to return to Sanya.

Upon notifying Assistant Front Officer Manager Geng and Director of Rooms Sheng of our return, they immediately placed us in a 400SQM Two Bedroom Villa. According to the IHG Website, it has its own private pool, outdoor cabana, living room, two master bedrooms and many club benefits that we have experienced to a lacking degree on our first stay. We were offered a hotel pick-up and drop-off at Sanya Airport. To my delight, because my travel group was arriving in Sanya at different times, Mr. Sheng arranged two complimentary pick-up journeys instead of one. A compensated 1000RMB Food & Beverage Credit is also awaiting us at the hotel. We were also given free laundry service. All of which combined are certainly a warm offer for my return after a disastrous stay. It was one of, if not the best compensation offer given by any previous poor-performing hotel. My expectation for this stay is significant improvement, that’s all.

The next few paragraphs reflects my experience through daily entries.

After a nice and solid stay at the InterContinental Shanghai Hongqiao NECC, and a solid study into InterContinental’s standards at the hotel, I was ready to embark on my trip to InterContinental Sanya Resort. After a 3 hour flight to Sanya Airport, Chauffeur for InterContinental Sanya Resort Harley Xu was standing by at the arrival hall with my written name on it. Harley escorted me to his Mercedes Benz and kindly drove me to the Resort’s Club InterContinental Lounge. I should note that the procedures on COVID-19 prevention spread was completely safe. Harley got me to disinfect my hands with hand sanitizer provided. He introduced me to the features of this car. I was impressed by my car ride. So has my two friends who took a later flight and had the same experience with him.

Assistant Club Manager Albert Li, Assistant Front Office Manager Terry Geng and several staff members of the Club Lounge greeted me at the Club Lounge Entrance. Albert and Terry offered me a Perrier served by the staff members. From there we went directly to the Two Bedroom Villa (Villa 3101). It was stone’s throw away from the Club Lounge. Significantly and conveniently closer to the Club Lounge than our previous Premium Club Room. Albert and Terry briefed me on what to expect in this stay. Albert gave me the room card along with my benefits. Both inspected my Green QR Code, Travel Pass and Nucleic Acid Test Report. It was certainly the most personalized check-in experience I have ever had with InterContinental. It certainly beats any check-in experience I had.

Let’s talk about the Two Bedroom Villa. This Two Bedroom Villa has two master bedrooms. One master bedroom is slightly smaller than the other. Both have their own master bathroom with the same difference in size. If you had a third person, that person would stay in the significantly smaller bedroom with its own shower room and toilet. There are no windows in that room. According to Albert, it’s meant for babysitters and traveling housemaids. The two master bedrooms have queen beds whilst the small room has a single bed. Each master bedroom has its own closet. The two master bedrooms have direct access the patio and pool. The private pool is about 15 meters long by about 3 meters. Surrounding the pool are its own cabana, lounge chairs, lounge day bed, seating chairs, tables and a pool shower. The living room has its own long L-shaped couch, indoor lounge chairs, a Samsung TV, sink and other basic amenities you would find in a living room. The ventilation of the entire villa was significantly better than any InterContinental I have been to in both rooms and suites. The power outlets are universal. The villa has a private entrance/exit to the Club InterContinental Executive Pool and Lounge. There are plenty of counters with sinks designed for kitchen-house use over bathroom use. There is a powder room for none-staying guests. It is certainly the best space I have stayed in. There is no other InterContinental Suite I stayed in that beats the extent of what I’ve seen in the villa. I’ve been in 6 InterContinental Suites. None of which beats this villa through common sense.

After my check-in and settling in, I returned to the Club InterContinental Lounge for the first time since my first visit. I had afternoon tea service coordinated by many of the Club Attendants including Vinnie and Fionna. I liked the service and the selections were unique and delicious. I had several cakes, bakery good and many other things that you would have for afternoon tea. After some swimming in my villa pool, I returned to the Lounge for Happy Hour. The options felt like you could have dinner with those choices. Those choices includes beef stroganoff, roast chicken, sandwiches, gnocchi and other delicious options. Through Vinnie and Terry, I managed to request a random mocktail off menu. It was certainly an enjoyable one. At that point, Albert told me that my friends were inbound for arrival after their later flight to Sanya. I got some pictures and witnessed them treat my two friends with executive treatment. Duty Manager Amanda Chen was there instead of Terry this time, and helped check my two friends in the Villa. Amanda also gave them their room key and their benefits including my forgotten 120 RMB Food Voucher which was better late than never. I was somewhat dissatisfied with the room service, as one of the dishes I ordered (Hainan Chicken Rice) was missing its main side dish (Chicken Rice). My friends’ meals were more exceptional otherwise.

As of this paragraph, I’m writing this on Day 2 of my stay at the InterContinental Sanya Resort. Understandably, the COVID-19 rise in China has affected travel, thus causing a rather more quiet scene at Mediterraneo All-Day Dining for buffet breakfast. Therefore the amount of options or maintainability of a buffet is decreased to fit a 30% capacity. However, some of the health and safety concerns I have is the bugs that fly around the food and restaurant. Based on my opinion, more insect spreading prevention is needed. The food choices were good at least. Still of the same quality as last time. I liked the small wontons and scrambled eggs. We were also given some fresh coconuts which enhanced our impression of the All-Day Dining Restaurant Breakfast against the tropical atmosphere. I had the honors to finally meet Director of Rooms Terrance Sheng. I had the opportunity to thank him for inviting us back to the resort with the abundant amount of benefits in return for giving the resort a second chance. Sheng addressed my concerns with the breakfast bug situation and the Hainan Chicken Rice incident. He and Guest Relations Manager Nikki Ma addressed them promptly. We would like to recognize servers Niki Wan and Louis Lin for the personalized breakfast service for today. I would also like to recognize Housekeeper Kira Zhou for getting my laundry done, and cleaning this nice villa. I would like to note that we had yet another disappointing electrical failure with the curtain. Fortunately we can still move it by hand, though nothing was done to have it fixed. Certainly it was a major comeback disappointment. The last time I came, there were multiple electrical failures with the bathroom and patio. Although I was disappointed, I was told that there are major renovations planned. This electrical malfunction epidemic in this hotel will for sure be fixed after that renovation. We have decided to try the Chinese Restaurant in the resort, Terry managed to arrange for that.

As of this paragraph, we have reached the our final night at this hotel, which is Day 3. We had breakfast once again at the Mediterraneo Restaurant. The experience was somewhat as good as the first breakfast, but slightly better just based off where we seated. In addition to the names mentioned, we would like to recognize Alvin Chen for his serving at the breakfast. We were visited by Chef de Cuisine Mike Wu at the Mediterraneo. He made sure everything was fine, which the breakfast service was of course. We went to Dadonghai for some surfing, Front Concierge Members Barry Hua and Kelvin Chen facilitated us to our taxi. Earlier we asked Terry to book us a reservation at the Ocean Pavilion Restaurant, for a final Chinese dinner. We booked it at 6:30PM. This was until we found out that a COVID-19 test was required to get back to Shanghai. Club Lounge Supervisor Kevin Zhang helped us do some research and got us to the right Hospital to do a test. Executive Sous Club Chef Gage Zhou who was our club chef arranged the reservation to be moved to 8PM. He was also there to check up on us with the perfect Happy Hour service. After a surprisingly quick COVID-19 testing visit, we got back before 7PM. We asked Katrina Kuang and Vinnie Huang to move the reservation to 7:30PM. Dinner was the most memorable part of this trip so far. Because of the chicken rice issue we had, Director of Rooms Terrance Sheng has issued us a free dinner to my deep surprise. Mr. Sheng if you are reading this, I thank you for this incredible experience. Executive Head Chef Yuan of the Ocean Front Pavilion crafted a menu specifically designed for our tastes. The highlights were coconuts, steamed sea grouper, stir-fried beef, vegetables, soups and cold dishes. All of which were to my moderate expectations. We were looked after by the following waiter, waitresses and head server: Cindy Gao, Sunny Cui, Luis Liu and Wendy Wang. All of these servers were above and beyond. We were impressed by how either Cindy or Sunny used their bare hands to catch a wasp that flew to our table and released it elsewhere. It was very impressive. All servers were vigilant, attentive and professional. Of all of my Chinese Restaurant InterContinental Hotel Experiences at 4 Restaurants, this is the best Chinese restaurant I have ever dined at. We should note that we were treated like no other guest group at this hotel. Duty Manager Jack Ding made sure that we had a good stay so far. We appreciate his check up. We managed to get our drink vouchers specially redeemed at the Beach Bar with my special exception. Though, I believe it is a standard to have the vouchers to be redeemed at the Beach Bar. We did have a lovely staff crew at the Beach Bar. The hospitable Emily Wang took care of our drink orders. That concludes the final night at my resort.

It is the final day of my trip here in Sanya. We had a moderate bug infestation in the villa. During the night we had multiple slug infestations around the bathroom area. I didn’t notice it whilst I was bathing in my bathtub, however when I was getting out of the bathtub, that’s where I noticed the slug. There was a wasp stuck in the toilet room of the second largest master bathroom. It is within my belief that for the renovation coming up in the near future for the resort, the resort should update bug entry preventions to the modern extent. Breakfast was mainly served by Susie Chen and the names that were mentioned. Chef Zhou helped create my Eggs Benedict, which were to perfection. My final afternoon tea was lovely. At 5PM, we checked out of the hotel. Check out was performed by Albert and Terry. Both had our luggages stored in InterContinental’s Toyota Van. Driver Rock Xiao professionally drove us to the airport.

As I write this review on the plane back to Shanghai, determining whether this stay was to be rated 5 stars was hard to decide. It all came down to whether it was worth the COVID-19 Pre-Departure Testing, the flight tickets and the room fee placed at standard room rate. My answer to that is yes. Although we have seen shortcomings in this hotel that made this stay imperfect, we have reason to believe that this is still an outstanding stay. We have reason to believe that those shortcomings such as the electrical malfunctions and insect entry prevention will be fixed when this resort will be renovated as planned.

Overall, we had an extraordinary experience at this resort. The way the resort treated us was as if we were VIPs, as they knew that this review was at stake, with their reputation on the line. Despite some minor expectations that were missed, me and my two guests have unanimously rated this hotel 5 stars out of 5 stars. The hotel had less than 7 days to prepare for our return, which is relatively impressive. The amount of effort that the staff members have contributed to our return was really touching to us as the guests. I understand that there was stress out of every single one of you staff members watching this and have taken care of us, including upper management. I’ll admit, my previous review was unsettling to read and write. It was to keep the basic standards in check and in place as one that visits a lot of InterContinental Hotels. To study the standards of a good InterContinental Hotel, I went as far as visiting the InterContinental Shanghai Hongqiao NECC hotel the night before, so I can properly judge this hotel against those standards. At the end, it’s honesty over being bias. There was improvement in this hotel in just one month and a half. It was the most highly personalized stay of any InterContinental visit I have done. All the small details were personalized from my friends’ preference to sleep on the couch over small room, to recognition of extra towels, to dining preferences at the dinner. The hotel has offered me so much to bring me back, because it was a determination to prove to me that they do not stand by what was stood out in my June trip. I recognize that as a factor to my review, and the hotel delivered.

If you look at my hotel reviews on this account, you would have noticed that I rank InterContinental Hotels based on a composition of my experiences, room and service. In my first review, I decided not to state that, because I ranked this hotel the worst out of those 16 hotels. After this stay, I have decided to state my ranking choice for this hotel. Initially this hotel was ranked at #16 out of 16 InterContinental Hotels I have visited. With such improvement seen in my highly personalized, yet overwhelming stay, I have decided to put this resort at #3 out of 16. If I was to rank all single visits I had to these 16 properties, it would have been the best visit I had with this brand. I ranked it above many hotels in which I had phenomenal experiences at, including the New Chongqing InterContinental Hotel, Shanghai Expo InterContinental, and One Thousand Island Lake InterContinental Resort. It will be a forever memorable stay in my life.

I normally recognize a maximum of 5 staff members and managers at the hotel, but I have chosen to recognize 20 more than what I normally do. I would like to take this moment to thank the following staff members and managers for their services and their extraordinary work:

To Club InterContinental Staff Members: You have given us some of the best experiences with Club InterContinental. It has placed my trust back into this Executive Club Program for future InterContinental visits. It has been a highly personalized yet above excellent experience at the lounge. Therefore I would like to thank and recognize:

Albert Li
Vinnie Huang
Fionna Zheng
Katrina Kuang
Kevin Zhang
And the rest of the Club InterContinental Team.

To the Mediterraneo Restaurant Staff Members: We had one of our best personalized buffet breakfast here. It was the most attentive service I have ever had. Therefore I would like to thank and recognize:

Niki Wan
Louis Lin
Susie Chen
Alvin Chen
Chef Mike Wu
Chef Gage Zhou
And the rest of the Mediterraneo Team.

To the Ocean Front Pavilion Restaurant Staff Members: This was certainly a high stakes service that was done for us. The vigilance and courage to serve us this dinner was so great, to the point that no words can describe the extraordinary work done behind this. From the kitchen staff to the serving staff, the performance I have witnessed was the best I have seen in any Chinese Restaurant in any InterContinental. Therefore, I would like to thank and recognize:

Chef Yuan and his kitchen brigade
Cindy Gao
Sunny Cui
Luis Liu
Wendy Wang
And all the other staff members at the Ocean Front Pavilion Restaurant.

We would like to recognize Front Lobby Concierge Members Barry Hua, Kelvin Chen and everyone else at the Front Lobby for their work welcoming us back to the resort after a long day and sending us to the our villa via Buggy Car.

We would like to thank and recognize Kira Zhou for her perfected housekeeping and handling of our laundry. We also like to thank those who did put laundry.

We would like to thank and recognize Emily Wang and the Beach Bar staff members for making our nice Beach Bar Drinks.

We would like to thank the drivers who took us to and from the airport safely, which was done in a safe and professional manner. We would like to thank and recognize:

Harley Xu
Rock Xiong

We would most importantly like to thank the Guest Relations Management Team. They have done a lot to receive my initial feedback, and facilitated my stay very carefully. For that, we would like to gratefully thank and recognize:

Terry Geng
Amanda Chen
Jack Ding
Nikki Ma

We would like to thank and recognize Director of Rooms Terrance Sheng of Upper Management for making this stay possible. He is certainly the one who orchestrated this entire stay. He helped partially lead such a phenomenal stay for me and my two friends. Thank You Mr. Sheng!

Finally, I haven’t met him yet nor properly spoke to him, but I would like to thank and recognize General Manager Li Weifang. You valuing my first feedback made me feel validated as a honest guest reviewer and loyal member at this brand. It is rare for me to give hotels second chances. Your July 27th reply to my first review had an impact on my consideration giving this resort a second chance. Thank You Mr. Li. Please pass on the recognition and appreciation given to these fine service men and women.

Congratulations on the resort being recognized as “Best Seller” on TripAdvisor in Sanya.

If I had the opportunity to return to Sanya, this would without a doubt be the resort of my choice. I look forward to my return to this resort, and to see its finished renovation soon.
Date of stay: August 2021
Room Tip: Book Club InterContinental. Best with an Ambassador Membership. Being a Spire Ambassador is better.
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Responded 19 Oct 2021
Dear Stanley1588,

Thank you very much for choosing our InterContinental Sanya Resort.

I'm so glad to know that you enjoyed your Sanya trip. Your recognition I will share with the departments immediately, they will very happy to know it. It's our pleasure and duty to make your stay comfortable and memorable. Hainan is a great island for your vacation, our hotel located at Xiao Dong Hai, beautiful and peaceful. The Beer Factory will perfect after you come back from hot beach, we have fresh brewed beer and many BBQ dishes!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Resort in the near future !

Weifang LI
  • Expedia.com
13.5 km from InterContinental Sanya Resort
View more hotels in Sanya
4,441 results
All reviews club room sanya resort beach bar club guests private pool area an upgrade hotel guests general manager tropical paradise big balcony nice beach service level facing the sea seafood language barrier ryan albert
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 August 2021

We have just returned from spending three wonderful weeks at the InterContinental Sanya Resort. It is difficult to find things to be critical of here. The management team really made our stay a memorable experience and as my wife and I reflect on our time, we really appreciate the attention to details that were quite evident to us every step of the way. Upon arrival at Sanya International airport, we were greeted by the hotel driver who helped us and our friends with luggage and a 40-minute trip to the resort. A shout out goes to Ryan and Terrance, as well as Albert, who made our stay an exceptional one. From the time we were greeted so warmly at the club entrance along with GM Li Weifang, everyone welcomed us back with much enthusiasm.

One of the trip highlights of the resort is the hospitality that was very evident to us. Our spacious pool villa room had fresh fruit provided every day. The room itself was just amazing. I happened to mention to Li Weifang that it was our 30th anniversary this past June and next thing we know, a bottle of champagne shows up in our room. It’s that kind of special attention and care that made our stay special. Our housekeeper 周小果 took great care of us every day and was always so joyful and pleasant.

The Meditterano restaurant, where we enjoyed the huge breakfast buffet, has friendly staff and are all very helpful. The chefs and restaurant attendants really work hard to do a good job, paying close attention to their duties. Rachel, the F&B manager has a great staff who take pride in doing a great job... a big shout out goes to Venture, who remembered us from last year, and his friendly and kind way of helping us, as well as Nikki, who went out her way to serve us- even with a mask on, her smile and smiling eyes can brighten up anyone’s day. We also had the opportunity to attend the seafood buffet. The choices of food and the quality was delicious. I was surprised by the sheer variety of food and desserts and will make this a regular part of our return. The Beer Factory highlight for me, had to be the warm pretzels- even though we had a seafood platter (yes!) there is something comforting about warm bread.

The club happy hour and teatime offers a variety of hot and cold food and beverages including cocktails (limited menu) beer, wine and even champagne! The club staff was very helpful, and food was often replenished when it got tapped out quickly. It was one of our favorite hangouts spots every day, but you may have to get there early depending on the crowd level.

The resort itself has many pools. The club has a separate pool with sand on the bottom and has a nice view of the Bay. The palms that surround the pool really give the feel of a tropical paradise. It is well maintained, and the landscaping is consistently attended to daily. The detail given to the grounds is just amazing. If you are a sandy beach person you will be disappointed as this beach is mostly eroded coral and the ocean is considerably rocky. However, it’s a great place to explore at dusk, with many visitors looking for crabs and other sea creatures with their flashlights.

Upon leaving Albert and Terrance made sure we were all set with our hotel transportation back to the airport. Our driver was very considerate and even asked us if the temperature in the van was good for us, as well as telling us the trip time. The InterContinental Sanya Resort is a difficult place to leave. We look forward to our return in the future and highly recommend this resort once again.

Room tip: Pool Villa if you like to be close to the ground.
Date of stay: July 2021
media social, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2021

Dear F9370AWbriank,

Thank you very much for staying at InterContinental Sanya Resort.

We are pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your stay and I will share your comments with our team. Dine in Ocean Front Pavilion which is open to the charming tropical view, capturing the gentle breeze. The restaurant features local cuisine and serves BBQ dinner buffet on every Friday and Saturday.

We look forward to your next Sanya trip!

Weifang LI

Reviewed 21 July 2021 via mobile

A huge shout out to the amazing ladies working the bar Tuesday and Wednesday in the club lounge. So quick, so helpful and so much fun thank you Tiffany and Bambi. Even went out of their way to create mocktails for the kids.
Well worth the club experience

Room tip: Beach is not great but pools more than make up for it. Club worth it when you factor breakfast, late lunch and dinner with drinks. Do it!!
Trip type: Travelled with family
media social, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2021

Dear Karen T,

Thank you very much for staying at InterContinental Sanya Resort. We are pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your stay and I will share your comments with Tiffany and Bambi, this is the same service standard for every staff. The Beer Factory will perfect after you come back from hot beach, we have fresh brewed beer and many BBQ dishes!

I hope you will choose InterContinental Sanya Resort again when you come to Sanya next time! Have a nice day!

Reviewed 16 July 2021 via mobile

Best service ever! I have stayed at Intercontinental Mauritius, Beijing (Sanlitun), Melbourne etc… This is by far the best service I have ever experienced. The staff at the club are a credit to the GM. I love Albert and Bambi! So attentive and caring. I hope you can hold onto them. They’re exceptional in every way! I don’t want to leave my tomorrow. Best 10 nights ever !

Room tip: Book here. It’s way better than Yalong Bay
Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
media social, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2021

Dear James R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at InterContinental Sanya Resort. We are very glad to know that our staff Albert and he service helped in making your visit enjoyable. Meanwhile, we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Our Beach Bar launched new afternoon tea will makes your vacation more colorful and joyful.

Thank you again for your feedback and support and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you!

Reviewed 26 June 2021 via mobile

Third time we came and for the third time we are leaving saying the same....let’s plan to come back soon!!!
Wei Fang and her team (Ryan, Silver, Albert and others) simply made our stay even more special. Their responsibility, attention and carenes with all details were amazing.
The hotel also offers all kinds things you might wait for relax and enjoy the nature!
Definitely if you decide to go...look to stay in the club area...it’s a kind of investment 😀😀.
Once again many thanks for all support to our family (me, my wife and my little son).
Fernando Borges, Juliana and Felipe

Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with 单个酒店

Dear H3796GNfernandob,

Thank you very much for Choosing our InterContinental Sanya Resort. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay in our Resort and very much appreciated for your feedback. I will share your comments with Ryan, Silver, Albert, this is the same service standard for every staff. I also want to recommend the Beer Factory for you, the great BBQ plater and fresh beer will bright up your Sanya trip. We are looking forward for your 4rd times visit.

Reviewed 19 June 2021

Spent two nights at InterContinental Sanya Resort during Dragon Boat Festival holiday. Fantastic views, services, and service. I would recommend getting a club room or a villa for getting an close to perfection vacation experience.

Special thanks go to Nikki Ma from hotel guest relations for room arrangement, hotel intro, and so on. Definitly a stop that i'll revisit in my

Date of stay: June 2021
media social, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2021

Dear 315xiec,

Thank you very much for Choosing our InterContinental Sanya Resort. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay in our Resort and very much appreciated for your feedback. We are honored to have your recognition of Nikki. The hotel has set up a Planet Trekker specially for small guests. At different times of the day, there are different activities to lead small guests to carry out hands-on and brain moving children's activities, such as floating blanket challenge on water, cake making and other rich parent-child activities.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Resort in the near future.