See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 December 2015 via mobile

I live and work in China and travel extensively throughout the country. My employer often books hotels that are owned by their group to save money. The hotel they booked for me in Haikou is quite poor so I took the initiative to book myself into this Howard Johnson so that I could have a comfortable stay and be well rested for my work.

Sorry to say that I regret it and have been left feeling like I spent 5 star prices for 2 star quality at best. I checked in and was given a room beside the elevator which is a noisy location given the high traffic area. Then my TV didn't work so I had to request to change rooms. By this time I was too tired to complain further when I was greeted in the new room by fresh human hair on the carpet and table.

After settling into my new room And doing some of my own cleaning I decided I would enjoy the hot spring and sauna. Too bad most of the hot spring pools weren't in service and the ones that were looked like they hadn't been cleaned ever. The sauna was off and smelled like urine so I decided to relax by paying for an overpriced massage in their spa. Credit to the staff that the massage was actually well done. However given the price and the attempted extravagance of the spa construction, I was left disappointed at the lack of effort to make any spa experience other than the massage itself.

I then went looking for a drink but found the cigar and wine bar which was advertised as open was actually closed. So I went for dinner at the Japanese restaurant on the 2nd floor. The sushi was flavorless and the ramen was made of a completely different type of noodle. At least the local beer was cold. Even if I had to pay 28 rmb just for a Tsingtao.

In the morning I went for the breakfast. Most of the treys in the buffet had been emptied already and not refilled and it was 915am. So I was left with the scraps and a watery coffee which left me disappointed again and wishing I had just gone to a Mcdonalds.

After checking out, concierge tried to sell me their hotel car service. I politely declined as it would have cost 3 times the price of a normal taxi. I requested a normal taxi but they still quoted me a much higher price. Finally after they seemed completely unwilling just to get me a normal taxi I left and found a taxi on my own.

I am aware this is a smaller city in China and expectations have to be adjusted. I consider myself to have a pretty good handle on the hotel situation in China. However this experience ranks as my worst ever value for money hotel experience. So much so that I would be likely to avoid Howard Johnson hotels anywhere in the world if I can help it.

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank DSW987
Reviewed 12 August 2015

Always thought Howard Johnson is a 4 or 5-star hotel, after staying here, I don't think I would try another Howard Johnson anywhere. Room was just ok, the AC was loud, food was absolutely not pleasure, we even skipped breakfast. So isolated from the city, just a couple of Chinese restaurant nearby and a Chinese coffee shop we dared to try.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank ZhiyiQ
Reviewed 12 August 2015

Howard Johnson resort Haikou is a memorable stay for us. Read so much negative review from reviewers and was abit let down. We were really surprised by the hospitality of the hotel staffs and their friendliness.

Environment was great and clean with Swimming pool, Hot Spring, Sauna and gymnasium.

Reception staffs was friendly,though we hardly meet hse keeping staffs, our room was always very clean. Chief Concierge,Mr Damon Wu was very helpful with our transportation.I would like to say to him"thanks" There is Foc shuttle to the City,10 minutes drive. As for us, no problem at all traveling around....

Stayed 7 nights. And planning forward to be back again soonest.

Room tip: Higher floors is always quieter.
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2015

What attracted us to this Hotel was the Natural Hot Spring and outside pool, the hot tub baths and the pool could be done with a good scrub, I would agree with the previous comment more like a 3 star, food was OK but expensive for the quality, the lobby staff very friendly and helpful, English good, overall our stay was OK but I don't think we will stay at this Hotel again.

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2014

Our recent visit to he Hojo Haikou was not long after the typhoon. There was a little destruction from the storm but repair work was well under way. The rooms within this hotel are fantastic but the rest really let's this hotel down apart from their two speciality restaurants which were also fantastic. The main lounge is just ok but closed after the first day and we were sent to another bar within the hotel which didn't seem to have any stock and was extremely cold. The main restaurant was used by us for snacks at lunch time as the lounge was closed and Breakfast which was your standard fayre. The pool area was nice but the staff weren't very attentive and didn't feel we required either parasols or mattresses for our sun beds.

Date of stay: August 2014