All reviews small luxury rain shower stone walls junior suite american breakfast private garden hot tub small pool visit antigua rooms are beautiful spent two nights quiet street sitting area second floor roof terrace the location is perfect lake atitlan
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

I studied Spanish in Antigua for seven weeks and wanted to finish my journey with a lovely hotel stay. My aim was to relax and enjoy the space.

Because of my status with Hotels.com, I was supposed to get an early check in, but I couldn’t get into the room until 3:00 pm. I went around the corner and explored the Santa Domingo Hotel museums. (Wrote a separate review on that.)

Once I did get to my room (Los Caballeros), it was perfect! The stone walls and the secret little garden with a gorgeous fountain and small hot tub - not to mention the palatial bathroom with a gorgeous tub built for a small army - was a slice of heaven.

Everything was perfectly clean and designed for comfort. The rain-head shower - as others have mentioned - is fantastic! The water pressure and the heat are heavenly. The tub can easily fit two for a romantic evening and there is space on the sides for candles and wine glasses.

The bed linens are soft and cozy, the bed itself is wonderfully comfortable. You can lie in bed and listen to the fountain that is just outside in your very private (and quiet) enclosed garden. There is a tv, but I never turned it on, and a mini-bar for your convenience. Internet is strong and there is a good connection throughout the hotel.

I ordered a cheese platter and wine and sat in the library looking out over the communal garden while reading about the other small boutique hotels of the world. So relaxing to listen to the water fountain in the main garden and enjoying the quietness and serenity of the hotel.

Later that night, I wanted room service but didn’t want the menu from the room. So I walked over to the restaurant (a 20 second stroll across the garden) and ordered off their menu (risotto). They gladly delivered it to the room.

In the morning, I again ordered room service for breakfast. A fantastic little American style breakfast with eggs done perfectly and yummy bacon. The coffee was great and came in a press (roughly two cups) and I ordered a delicious freshly squeezed orange juice.

The grounds are beautifully maintained and the staff is kind and helpful. They help you speak Spanish (if you wish) or are equally adept at speaking English.

At night, the grounds come alive with candles galore and there are lights in the trees that provide a beautiful glow across the garden.

This hotel deserves its spot on the Small Luxury Boutique Hotels of the world. I was alone, but it’s a romantic spot for couples or friends to enjoy Antigua. It is not far from anything (nothing in Antigua really is) and would be a fantastic little base from which to explore.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
GrupoAzur, Manager at El Convento Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Dear Guest!!

It was a pleasure to wellcome you to the magic that awaits you behind these humble 15th century spanish doors!!!

We appreciate the comments and rate you gave to El Convento Boutique Hotel, we are looking forward to wellcome you home again at La Antigua Guatemala. We are glad that the restaurant fulfilled your espectations as well as our Staff, we will share your kind comments with them!!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 September 2018

This was our second visit to this special and beautifully designed boutique hotel. We are happy to give 5 stars to all of the employees now, as everyone was warm, attentive and genuine. The check in/out process now leads the way in providing great service (this is a vast improvement from 2009). The restaurant, room service and housekeeping employees have always displayed great service, and they are the reason we decided to return. There are lots of little places to stop, relax and have a refreshment throughout the hotel. This makes for beautiful photos and cherished moments. We will definitely return for a visit.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GrupoAzur, Manager at El Convento Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2018

Dear Guest

We appreciate the comments and rate you gave to El Convento Boutique Hotel, during the last months we did many renovations in order to fulfilled our guest expectations, we will share your comments with our staff , I am sure they will feel proud to read them.

We are looking forward to wellcome you home again at La Antigua Guatemala.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 September 2018

Location close to everything however we übered everywhere. The übers translated to less than $2 of our US dollars. The inside is beautiful and just outside is a breathtaking view of a mountain. You must stay here

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GrupoAzur, Manager at El Convento Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Dear Miss Dominique!!

We are glad to receive your comments, thank you for letting us know that your stay at El Convento Boutique Hotel was incredible and that the views from our terrace are appreciated by our guest.

We enjoyed having you home and hope you come back soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 September 2018

Nice boutique hotel within walking distance to the arch and the plaza. Some rooms do not have windows or a bathtub so I'd recommend ensuring a view when booking. Great service and the staff is always cleaning and maintaining the property

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GrupoAzur, Manager at El Convento Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Dear Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to comment about you recent stay at El Convento Boutique Hotel, we appreciate it very much and we will share it with our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you again in La Antigua Guatemala and El Convento Boutique Hotel.

Regards,

Reviewed 31 August 2018

This hotel was gorgeous. The rooms were better than I even expected. It was quiet and so tranquil. Just what I was looking for. The staff was quick to answer and questions and to meet whatever I needed .

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GrupoAzur, Manager at El Convento Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

Dear Miss Carolyn:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at El Convento Boutique Hotel.
We are delighted to hear that the rooms and other areas of the hotel were tranquil and that our staff was quick to answer your request.

We are looking forward to wellcoming you again in La Antigua Guatemala and at El Convento Boutique Hotel.

Best Regards,