“Excellent Trip”

Biking Dutchman
Ranked #8 of 100 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "There’s a reason the South American Andes is spoken about with awe, and the cone of Ecuador’s Cotopaxi volcano is the icing on this mountainous hunk of cake. Scraping the sky at more than 5800 metres above sea level, the stratovolcano is currently snoozing after chucking a tantrum in late 2015, when it spat smoke and ash into the air. Rug up for altitude and thunder down its foothills on a 30-kilometre cycling trip with Biking Dutchman Tours. A back-up vehicle will carry you up high, where you’ll swing onto the saddle of a 21-speed mountain bike and head off-road, winding through ancient lava fields and past wild horses grazing in grassy plains studded with wildflowers. Stop at Incan ruins, enjoy a homemade picnic lunch, and spot the snowy giant reflected on the surface of Limpiopungo Lake... " GET LOST MAGAZINE
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband Collin and I just got back from doing 2 day tours with the Biking Dutchman. Our first day was in Nono-Mindo and the biking was fun and the scenery superb! Our guides that day were knowledgeable, spoke English well and always about safety as our first priority. Our second day started in the city on the bike trail and while we were only able to complete the first 16km or so due to snow we then went to amazing hot springs and had excellent conversation with Jan, one of the most interesting men we have ever met. He treated us like family this day and we could not have been more pleased with our tours. The food was also excellent! We would recommend to anyone!

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Owner at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

It was for us a source of joy to read your comments.
When Jan decided to settle in our beautiful country, he also began to build a new history for himself. His traveling had made him a very unique person, interesting and full of funny stories.
His background is the fundaments of a unique travel company too! My contribution has always been to put warmth to welcome you all as family, and a nice flavor to our homemade food! Family meals have always been very important to mine. Is a quality time when you can share your joys and sorrows with people who care!
Thank you very much for recommending us warmly, I am sure it helps to promote our business.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"safety briefing"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What a magnificent tour - starting with the very responsive Ana who kindly put me on the first two days of a eight day cycle. We were joined by the Dutchman himself - an ordinary looking chap yet incredibly knowledgable (even teaching me about my own culture!). Also met some fantastic people in the group (5 of us in total).

A great mix of cycling, scenery and learning. No wonder the tour is in the “top 100 things to do in South America” as per National Geographic. The views are breathtaking (as is cycling in high altitudes)! But if a beginner like myself can do it, anybody can! Thanks again Jan and the rest of the group!

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Gerente at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Nishant
After a failed first attempt, I was thrilled to be able to make you participate in a trip that is as unique as our country!
Jan is a real Ecuador´s lover, from the very beginning, when he decided to set foot in Quito and marry a dynamic Ecuadorian young woman! He always says that he first fell in love with my country. His vast culture, which he learned from many years of backpacking, makes him an outstanding guide and companion, as you can easily attest.
My beautiful country is yet to be discovered, is like a hidden gem that lies for adventurers to visit it!
Our culture is perhaps not as ancient as yours, but is very much alive and kicking!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Alex was a lovely guide - and the scenery of the 2 day trip around Cotopaxi / Quilitoa was stunning. It was great that the jeeps follow you around off roading incase you get tired or the altitude affects you. Would definitely recommend the Biking Dutchman group. Lunch was tasty both days too - with homemade guac made on the mountainside for our tacos one day!

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Propietario at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

It was such a delight to read your Review, for which I am so thankful.
Alex, as well as the rest of our crew, has a passion for biking in the nature that is really contagious! We strive to make your trip memorable in each way and are really happy when our clients give us a "Thumbs up!"
I was particularly thrilled with your perception that we offer "A fantastic biking trip to suit all abilities" Wow, we made it possible!
Thanks again for your great Review which brightens my day!

Reviewed 17 April 2018

We booked the Biking Dutchman based on a recommendation of a friend. We were not disappointed. Everything went as expected. Our guide was very knowledgable and made sure all riders had an experience that meet their ability. The food that was provided was freshly made. They even made accommodations for allergies. The bikes were of high quality and in good working order. It was a fun day and a great experience.

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Gerente at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Your wonderful review was received in our office in Quito with delight. Even though sometimes I miss the personal contact with our clients, to read your kind words give me a better idea of your experience.
I am happy to hear that we met your expectations and that you can say that the day with the BIKING DUTCHMAN was "a fun day and a great experience". What else could I wish for?
Thanks for doing a trip with us and also for writing this awesome review!

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 April 2018

My girlfriend and I got into Quito late in the evening and sent an email hoping to do the 1 day bike tour the following day. We were pleasantly surprised to get a response soon after that we could do the ride and we met up with the crew the following morning.

This bike trip was the highlight of our whole trip! We rode in the vehicle with Jan, the dutchman, and he was very informative, as well as entertaining with his numberous stories of countries in the world he had previously lived. It was pouring rain when we left Qutio, but the weather subsided when we got up to the mountain and the clouds parted to show off the beauty of Cotopaxi. It was breathtaking to say the least.

We all were fitted with a bike and a helmet which were in great working condition. We headed down the road using our breaks often with the steep grade and then headed off road for some single tracking. The landscape was gorgeous and there were other active volcanoes we were able to see, as well. Jan biked with us while his other guide drove the Land Cruiser on the driving path if we need any supplies or assistance with our bikes. The tour was very professional and it was great to meet other people on the tour from Brazil, Norway, and Dubai. At one point, my girlfriend's wheel needed addressing as it was rubbing on the brake pad and Jan's guide was quick to remedy the problem and get us on our way.

There were a few places where we had to bike uphill, but overall is was mostly downhill riding for 32km. We stopped by a creek to have some lunch that Jan's wife, Ana, had made including pasta salad, spanakopita, and brownies, along with ginger tea. The food was great and it was nice to have a homemade meal. We got back in the vehicles and headed a short distance away to then get back on the bikes for the rest of our ride. We finished on the road that leads into the park and were lucky enough to just miss the rain.

I can't recommend this tour enough! I felt safe the whole trip and the views were spectacular. I hope that if we make it back to Quito again in the future, that we can do a multi-day trip with the Biking Dutchman!

Thank you so very much for writing such a detailed Review, sharing your experience with our potential guests.
I can´t thank you enough for your kindness; your comment "This bike trip was the highlight of our whole trip" is nothing short than amazing!
Jan, the Dutchman, taught so many young Ecuadorians to be exceptional guides. Nevertheless, he is still much loved among our visitors, for his kindness, experience but particularly for all his fun stories of an outstanding life.
The crew is happy to resolve all your queries right from the beginning, of which we are proud! Of course, nothing could really be possible if the site wasn´t what it is: Something out of this world! We are blessed to have found this combination 28 years ago and to be at it, with enthusiasm and joy!