Open today: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Review Highlights
Cotopaxi day biking tour

The tour was really well organised and the lunch was great. It was nice to go on a tour that did... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Leonie S
via mobile
Stunning beauty on bikes in the Ecuadorian Andes!

Our family booked the 3 day Cotopaxi-Quilotoa-Chimborazo trip as part of a 2 week trip in Ecuador... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Heather R
Arvada, Colorado

All reviews mountain biking bike tour guide fernando ginger tea wild horses day trip brownie biking experience mostly downhill homemade lunch nice homemade hot springs single track own pace spectacular scenery safety briefing cotopaxi volcano
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

Alex was a lovely guide - and the scenery of the 2 day trip around Cotopaxi / Quilitoa was stunning. It was great that the jeeps follow you around off roading incase you get tired or the altitude affects you. Would definitely recommend the Biking Dutchman group. Lunch was tasty both days too - with homemade guac made on the mountainside for our tacos one day!

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Propietario at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

It was such a delight to read your Review, for which I am so thankful.
Alex, as well as the rest of our crew, has a passion for biking in the nature that is really contagious! We strive to make your trip memorable in each way and are really happy when our clients give us a "Thumbs up!"
I was particularly thrilled with your perception that we offer "A fantastic biking trip to suit all abilities" Wow, we made it possible!
Thanks again for your great Review which brightens my day!

Reviewed 17 April 2018

We booked the Biking Dutchman based on a recommendation of a friend. We were not disappointed. Everything went as expected. Our guide was very knowledgable and made sure all riders had an experience that meet their ability. The food that was provided was freshly made. They even made accommodations for allergies. The bikes were of high quality and in good working order. It was a fun day and a great experience.

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Gerente at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Your wonderful review was received in our office in Quito with delight. Even though sometimes I miss the personal contact with our clients, to read your kind words give me a better idea of your experience.
I am happy to hear that we met your expectations and that you can say that the day with the BIKING DUTCHMAN was "a fun day and a great experience". What else could I wish for?
Thanks for doing a trip with us and also for writing this awesome review!

Reviewed 17 April 2018

My girlfriend and I got into Quito late in the evening and sent an email hoping to do the 1 day bike tour the following day. We were pleasantly surprised to get a response soon after that we could do the ride and we met up with the crew the following morning.

This bike trip was the highlight of our whole trip! We rode in the vehicle with Jan, the dutchman, and he was very informative, as well as entertaining with his numberous stories of countries in the world he had previously lived. It was pouring rain when we left Qutio, but the weather subsided when we got up to the mountain and the clouds parted to show off the beauty of Cotopaxi. It was breathtaking to say the least.

We all were fitted with a bike and a helmet which were in great working condition. We headed down the road using our breaks often with the steep grade and then headed off road for some single tracking. The landscape was gorgeous and there were other active volcanoes we were able to see, as well. Jan biked with us while his other guide drove the Land Cruiser on the driving path if we need any supplies or assistance with our bikes. The tour was very professional and it was great to meet other people on the tour from Brazil, Norway, and Dubai. At one point, my girlfriend's wheel needed addressing as it was rubbing on the brake pad and Jan's guide was quick to remedy the problem and get us on our way.

There were a few places where we had to bike uphill, but overall is was mostly downhill riding for 32km. We stopped by a creek to have some lunch that Jan's wife, Ana, had made including pasta salad, spanakopita, and brownies, along with ginger tea. The food was great and it was nice to have a homemade meal. We got back in the vehicles and headed a short distance away to then get back on the bikes for the rest of our ride. We finished on the road that leads into the park and were lucky enough to just miss the rain.

I can't recommend this tour enough! I felt safe the whole trip and the views were spectacular. I hope that if we make it back to Quito again in the future, that we can do a multi-day trip with the Biking Dutchman!

Thank you so very much for writing such a detailed Review, sharing your experience with our potential guests.
I can´t thank you enough for your kindness; your comment "This bike trip was the highlight of our whole trip" is nothing short than amazing!
Jan, the Dutchman, taught so many young Ecuadorians to be exceptional guides. Nevertheless, he is still much loved among our visitors, for his kindness, experience but particularly for all his fun stories of an outstanding life.
The crew is happy to resolve all your queries right from the beginning, of which we are proud! Of course, nothing could really be possible if the site wasn´t what it is: Something out of this world! We are blessed to have found this combination 28 years ago and to be at it, with enthusiasm and joy!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

What a great way to get out and see Ecuador. The perfect day trip from Quito. Even the weather cooperated. Jan, the biking Dutchman himself led the trip. Ana was a delight to coordinate everything through. The country side we rode through was remarkable and varied. The food was fantastic. And, to top it off, we ran into the Minister of Tourism for Ecuador and posed for a picture with him. We finished the bike trip in some of the nicest hot springs I have ever visited. Two thumbs up! Highly recommended.

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Director General at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

What a wonderful tool TRIP ADVISOR is: It allows us to interact with our clients and hear some feedback, which most certainly helps us in our daily task of making clients happy!
A smile on the faces of our customers is a tremendous way to boost our confidence. We aim to do sustainable tourism in Ecuador, our home. We hope to show visitors some of our hidden gems, like Papallacta.
I appreciated your comment "Ana was a delight to coordinate everything through"; I am literally speechless, so I can only say Gracias.
The 1-day tour to Papallacta is a favorite among our customers, as it is a varied trip, with different eco-systems. As far as riding is concerned, I particularly love the Chaquiñán (the old railroad line) that is now a famous trail for bikers. I am proud to share with you, that it has been declared "The best Bike-Lane in South America". Quiteños and tourists alike enjoy the ride along the canyon of Chiche River. A real delight!
Thank you for not giving up on this trip. We did pull it off, didn't we?!

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We had a first class bike trek through many of Ecuador's most beautiful areas.
Jorge was our guide and Patricio our driver.
And our group consisted of just three, my daughter and myself- Canadian and a young English woman.
Jorge and Patricio were great and kept us entertained and educated. My daughter is fluent in Spanish which helped the group interaction.
I felt that Jorge directed our activity level towards our abilities. We were probably moderate bikers with most of our riding done on roads.
Our trip, although taxing for me, would have been relatively easy for expert mountain bikers.
The scenery was spectacular from Cotopaxi to Quilotoa to Chimborazo and then the Baños to Rio Negro ride.
Great paved roads through spectacular scenery, fun, quiet non paved roads and trails and a little bit of challenging single track made it interesting for everyone.
Beware that it will be cold at night and the first 2 nights are in simple, rustic haciendas. The food was basic and plentiful.
We got as high as 16,500 feet and a few days of acclimatization before the trip would be helpful.

This was an excellent tour that introduced you to highlites of Ecuador's high terrain on multiple different types of surfaces.

You would definitely require some biking experience to feel comfortable doing this trip but expert mountain biking skills are not necessary.

Biking Dutchman T, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

We were thrilled with your positive response. Thank you for taking time to write and encourage other users to book a fun adventure with the BIKING DUTCHMAN.
We love the excitement of our daily lives and being able to show the highlights of our beautiful Ecuador to our visitors. We feel truely blessed with it and strive to make also HAPPY CLIENTS!
Thanks for choosing us for your travels and never forget ECUADOR, our home.