“Fantastic day trip with my girlfriend and met some great people!”
Review of Biking Dutchman

Biking Dutchman
Ranked #9 of 101 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "There’s a reason the South American Andes is spoken about with awe, and the cone of Ecuador’s Cotopaxi volcano is the icing on this mountainous hunk of cake. Scraping the sky at more than 5800 metres above sea level, the stratovolcano is currently snoozing after chucking a tantrum in late 2015, when it spat smoke and ash into the air. Rug up for altitude and thunder down its foothills on a 30-kilometre cycling trip with Biking Dutchman Tours. A back-up vehicle will carry you up high, where you’ll swing onto the saddle of a 21-speed mountain bike and head off-road, winding through ancient lava fields and past wild horses grazing in grassy plains studded with wildflowers. Stop at Incan ruins, enjoy a homemade picnic lunch, and spot the snowy giant reflected on the surface of Limpiopungo Lake... " GET LOST MAGAZINE
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 April 2018

My girlfriend and I got into Quito late in the evening and sent an email hoping to do the 1 day bike tour the following day. We were pleasantly surprised to get a response soon after that we could do the ride and we met up with the crew the following morning.

This bike trip was the highlight of our whole trip! We rode in the vehicle with Jan, the dutchman, and he was very informative, as well as entertaining with his numberous stories of countries in the world he had previously lived. It was pouring rain when we left Qutio, but the weather subsided when we got up to the mountain and the clouds parted to show off the beauty of Cotopaxi. It was breathtaking to say the least.

We all were fitted with a bike and a helmet which were in great working condition. We headed down the road using our breaks often with the steep grade and then headed off road for some single tracking. The landscape was gorgeous and there were other active volcanoes we were able to see, as well. Jan biked with us while his other guide drove the Land Cruiser on the driving path if we need any supplies or assistance with our bikes. The tour was very professional and it was great to meet other people on the tour from Brazil, Norway, and Dubai. At one point, my girlfriend's wheel needed addressing as it was rubbing on the brake pad and Jan's guide was quick to remedy the problem and get us on our way.

There were a few places where we had to bike uphill, but overall is was mostly downhill riding for 32km. We stopped by a creek to have some lunch that Jan's wife, Ana, had made including pasta salad, spanakopita, and brownies, along with ginger tea. The food was great and it was nice to have a homemade meal. We got back in the vehicles and headed a short distance away to then get back on the bikes for the rest of our ride. We finished on the road that leads into the park and were lucky enough to just miss the rain.

I can't recommend this tour enough! I felt safe the whole trip and the views were spectacular. I hope that if we make it back to Quito again in the future, that we can do a multi-day trip with the Biking Dutchman!

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Gerente at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Thank you so very much for writing such a detailed Review, sharing your experience with our potential guests.
I can´t thank you enough for your kindness; your comment "This bike trip was the highlight of our whole trip" is nothing short than amazing!
Jan, the Dutchman, taught so many young Ecuadorians to be exceptional guides. Nevertheless, he is still much loved among our visitors, for his kindness, experience but particularly for all his fun stories of an outstanding life.
The crew is happy to resolve all your queries right from the beginning, of which we are proud! Of course, nothing could really be possible if the site wasn´t what it is: Something out of this world! We are blessed to have found this combination 28 years ago and to be at it, with enthusiasm and joy!

All reviews
"own pace"
in 16 reviews
"spectacular scenery"

Reviewed 3 April 2018

What a great way to get out and see Ecuador. The perfect day trip from Quito. Even the weather cooperated. Jan, the biking Dutchman himself led the trip. Ana was a delight to coordinate everything through. The country side we rode through was remarkable and varied. The food was fantastic. And, to top it off, we ran into the Minister of Tourism for Ecuador and posed for a picture with him. We finished the bike trip in some of the nicest hot springs I have ever visited. Two thumbs up! Highly recommended.

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Director General at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

What a wonderful tool TRIP ADVISOR is: It allows us to interact with our clients and hear some feedback, which most certainly helps us in our daily task of making clients happy!
A smile on the faces of our customers is a tremendous way to boost our confidence. We aim to do sustainable tourism in Ecuador, our home. We hope to show visitors some of our hidden gems, like Papallacta.
I appreciated your comment "Ana was a delight to coordinate everything through"; I am literally speechless, so I can only say Gracias.
The 1-day tour to Papallacta is a favorite among our customers, as it is a varied trip, with different eco-systems. As far as riding is concerned, I particularly love the Chaquiñán (the old railroad line) that is now a famous trail for bikers. I am proud to share with you, that it has been declared "The best Bike-Lane in South America". Quiteños and tourists alike enjoy the ride along the canyon of Chiche River. A real delight!
Thank you for not giving up on this trip. We did pull it off, didn't we?!

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We had a first class bike trek through many of Ecuador's most beautiful areas.
Jorge was our guide and Patricio our driver.
And our group consisted of just three, my daughter and myself- Canadian and a young English woman.
Jorge and Patricio were great and kept us entertained and educated. My daughter is fluent in Spanish which helped the group interaction.
I felt that Jorge directed our activity level towards our abilities. We were probably moderate bikers with most of our riding done on roads.
Our trip, although taxing for me, would have been relatively easy for expert mountain bikers.
The scenery was spectacular from Cotopaxi to Quilotoa to Chimborazo and then the Baños to Rio Negro ride.
Great paved roads through spectacular scenery, fun, quiet non paved roads and trails and a little bit of challenging single track made it interesting for everyone.
Beware that it will be cold at night and the first 2 nights are in simple, rustic haciendas. The food was basic and plentiful.
We got as high as 16,500 feet and a few days of acclimatization before the trip would be helpful.

This was an excellent tour that introduced you to highlites of Ecuador's high terrain on multiple different types of surfaces.

You would definitely require some biking experience to feel comfortable doing this trip but expert mountain biking skills are not necessary.

Biking Dutchman T, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

We were thrilled with your positive response. Thank you for taking time to write and encourage other users to book a fun adventure with the BIKING DUTCHMAN.
We love the excitement of our daily lives and being able to show the highlights of our beautiful Ecuador to our visitors. We feel truely blessed with it and strive to make also HAPPY CLIENTS!
Thanks for choosing us for your travels and never forget ECUADOR, our home.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

We booked a 3 day trip but sleeping at 12,000 feet left DH with a splitting headache, shortness of breath and pounding in his chest. We could not continue. Our mistake was starting the tour the morning after arriving from Guayaquil. Jorge and Cesar took us back to Quito to our hotel. They offered us some options for the third day. We chose to go to Otavalo. We saw 2 lovely lakes and had the best meal I have had in Ecuador. All home grown or harvested. Very fresh. Kudos to Jorge and Cesar for being flexible and providing options.

Our first day of cycling was fun. I'm not a mountain biker and will get off and walk when conditions are out of my skill set. The ride down from the parking lot was fun. There were a few soft sections I walked but nothing crazy on the downhill. I don't do rock gardens so walked those. The ride was not super technical and DH did most of it. The more experienced mountain bikers in our group buzzed through the entire ride. When we finished it had started to thunder and lightening so Jorge and Cesar took us to a Refugio for lunch where we could get hot drinks. More flexibility.

Lastly the simple inn we stayed at lacked smoke detectors. This was worrisome as we had a wood stove for heat in our room. One of the staff tried to build a fire by pouring gasoline on the wood. We stopped that quickly. I hope this safety concern will be addressed.

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Director General at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

I apologize for the late response! We were so sorry to hear about your husband's illness. However, it was a release to hear that we could offer you some alternatives, so that you would still have some fun in the Ecuadorian Andes. The altitude is, indeed, a problem if you just arrive from Sea level. Luckily nothing more serious!
Regarding the simple inn where we normally stay: They came a long way since we first stayed with them in their hut, more than 26 years ago, yet we must admit that it lacks most of the comfort and commodities we are so used to have in our daily lives. The reason we are loyal to them is because they are inhabitants from the area who improved their lives thanks to tourism and we like to encourage this sustainable way of living, instead of nearly starving with agriculture, in a land that is barren.
Yet, we understand your concerns and will tackle this new improvement with the owner, our friendly host Humberto Latacunga, who is always open to new technology.

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I booked this cycling tour from Nono to Mindo at short notice. The bikes and other equipment provided by the company (helmets, gloves) were all in good condition. Our designated guide and driver Alex deserves special mention for his excellent English, friendliness, and exceptional attention to customer service. Regarding the ride itself, Quito is at very high altitude, so we appreciated the fact that it had been thoughtfully planned to be mostly downhill along lightly-travelled backroads, even though it meant a lot of braking. The scenery was stunning, beginning with the patchwork-quilt of green fields, hills and volcanos that is so characteristic of Quito, and then descending more than a thousand metres along the dizzying series of switchbacks into the wonderful Cloud Forest, with its birdcalls, cicadas, waterfalls, silver leafed palms and dense foliage. The homemade lunch provided by the tour company was simple but delicious, and the venue that was chosen for it was truly memorable: Bellavista, a lodge set on a hilltop inside the heart of the forest, complete with a stunning hummingbird viewing area. The day concluded in the charming town of Mindo with a good tour of the chocolate farm Quetzal, supposedly one of Ecuadors best. Highly recommended.

Ana_Lucia_Noboa, Gerente at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging Review in the Tripadvisor.
The Brownie we send comes from this area and is a good sample of the delicious food that you can find in our country.
I am happy to hear that your overall experience was satisfactory and that you can highly recommend us! We strive to be on top of every detail to ensure a great tour to our clients.