“Worth one visit - for deco and ambience! ”
Review of TRi

TRi
Ranked #1,188 of 14,730 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$77 - US$129
Neighbourhood: Bays Area
Description: TRi captures the pure essence of Bali - a unique dining experience by the beach, from its elegant, holistic design, to the authentic & contemporary cuisine. Chef de Cuisine: Denny Sumarko Chef De Cuisine: I Wayan Mustika
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

TRI at The Pulse, Repulse Bay - fabulous deco, Balinese inspired restaurant.

A limited menu, not too many veg options, small portions, service was hmmm but definitely worth a one time experience!

One thing to bring your attention to is the longggg bar - made from a single trunk of a tree, it can seat 40 people!

They also have pods for families and groups.

Date of visit: August 2016
CedricJacob, General Manager at TRi, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2016

Dear Neerja S

I would like to thank for taking the time to share your feelings about your experience at TRi. It is always valuable for us to read customer's feedback and work on details to keep improving our offer.

Our century table, made of teak wood, is definitely an impressive piece allowing to dine with friends or family to celebrate any special moment but even for couples who would wish to dine in a different atmosphere.

Regarding our Vegetarian offer, we just started a special vegetarian "Taste of Bali" set menu and added few dishes on our regular à la carte. Our restaurant is usually known to be vegetarian friendly and well appreciated by many customers. I am sorry to read that our offer did not reach your expectation.

I would be overjoyed to welcome you back to TRi, or any of our sister venue in Hong Kong.

With my very kind regards

Cedric Jacob

Write a reviewReviews (105)

Reviewed 21 August 2016

CONS:
A few snags keep this restaurant from being a solid 4.

1) We'd requested one of the special tables (I think they call them a lily pad) and were being walked to said table when the hostess stopped in her tracks and asked us to wait a moment. We stood in the middle of the restaurant for a minute or so until another staff member escorted us back to the hostess stand, where we were then asked to sit down, off to the side, for about five minutes more. This was odd as the restaurant was probably less than a quarter full at the time, and we'd made a booking, so couldn't understand the wait. When they brought us back to the dining area, we were seated at a regular table and the lily pad was now occupied. We were told that another one would be opening up in 20 minutes time, but it was an hour and a half later that we were transferred and able to enjoy our desert there. Not a big deal, but just sort of odd.

2) The prices are simply too high for what they're offering. The food is definitely of a high quality, with fresh ingredients and all was nicely-prepared and presented. However, we regularly eat at restaurants that charge similar prices, and feel that we get a better value for our money elsewhere. Their red wines start at $210 for a glass, which is a bit excessive. If they could manage to bring down the costs, even just 10% or so, it would help.

3) The decor really is beautiful, but something of the place is just on the wrong side of the line of trying too hard. Can't put my finger on it, but there's something that feels a bit forced.

4) The bar was, apparently, under renovation when we visited, so the drinks list was limited to wine & beer. I was a bit disappointed, as the cocktail menu posted online looks interesting.

PROS:

1) We are vegetarian, and every member of staff that we encountered was aware of which dishes were veg-friendly. They are clearly listed on the menu, and when we ordered an appetizer that was labeled vegetarian, the server made a point to note that it contained dairy and to check if that was alright for us. Hugely appreciated this attention to detail, as many restaurants are not upfront about certain 'hidden' meat products like stocks and fish sauce. Also, even the deserts noted animal products, which is almost unheard of. As a long-time veggie, I know to look out for gelatine in many deserts, but most restaurants do not acknowledge this. This is a major plus of TRi.

2) The food was, overall, of excellent quality. We particularly enjoyed the spicy Lawar Salad, made of green beans & asparagus.

3) The shining star at TRi is their sommelier, Marina. In Hong Kong, even at higher-end restaurants, you often encounter staff who are completely unfamiliar with the wine list and even uncomfortable opening a bottle in your presence. Marina was able to talk knowledgeably and confidently about the options, and had excellent table-side skills. She is definitely a good investment for the restaurant, and was a highlight of our visit.

Date of visit: August 2016

Dear Emily M,

Firstly, allow me thank you for having taken the time to write such a detailed review about your experience at TRi. It is always very valuable for us to read guests' feedback – positive or not - to help us work on our areas of improvement.

We are pleased to learn that you did enjoy our unique vegetarian offer which, I believe, is a big hit in our restaurant and much appreciated by many of our customers. Maryna also join me to thank you for the very kind comment - She is surely a passionate individuals about wine and knows how to talk about it.

We regret to read that your arrival experience was not the most pleasant. Indeed, our Lily pods are extremely popular and we keep doing our very best to accommodate any guest request. We will surely learn from your comment in order to ensure a smoother welcoming experience.

Our pricing reflects the high quality products that Chef Conor careful select. We surely want to ensure that our guest enjoys every single moment of their dinner and this goes by the quality of our ingredients, which are, for most of them, imported.

Once again, we thank you for having visited us, and your detailed review. We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back one day at TRi for you to see the improvement.

With my epicurean regards

Reviewed 20 July 2016

Very interesting Balinese restaurant inside the PULSE complex in repulse bay. Very nice ambience, all tables face windows overlooking the bay, and you have these "baskets" to host each table. Very interesting decor. Menu is not very traditional, all dishes are watered down to suit local mild taste. Would come back.

Date of visit: July 2016
CedricJacob, General Manager at TRi, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2016

Dear Kangelini,

On behalf on the entire team of TRi, both Service and Culinary, I would like to thank you for your detailed comment about our venue. It is always delightful to read that another of our customer has been thrilled by his/her experience.

As you mentioned very well, we do offer a more contemporary approach of Balinese cuisine in order to suit more palate and satisfy more people. This added to the ambiance, the decor or even the atmosphere help to create a very unique experience for each and everyone. Dining in our Lily pods, our century table, semi private spices room or even our regular table will bring to different universe each and every time.

Once again, allow me to thank you for taking the time to send us such a lovely review. I would be over joyed to welcome you once again in TRi or any of our sister venues arounf Hong Kong.

Wishing you a great weekend ahead.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 June 2016

Came here for birthday celebration with my family but had a terrible service.
Apart from the nice decoration, nothing was good about the restaurant.

Service was extremely poor.
1. Waitress was scolding us when we were slightly late for the table (but we had the courtesy to call and tell them about it). After we arrived, they made us wait for at least 5 minutes while they set the table, while insisting that we must return the table by 8:15pm.
2. They sat us at a table right next to kitchen where there was constant smoke coming out from the kitchen (as there was no door to the kitchen). They refused to change table for us (despite we having a young toddler and I'm asthmatic), claiming there's no further available tables. But there were the entire bar table empty, and several tables nearby available.
3. I ordered coconut rice. After 5 mins, they said their rice cooker broke down and unable to offer this anymore. Asked me if I would like to cancel this on the bill. I was like, so are you going to charge me for something that you can't offer?
4. The fried morning glory was totally soaked in some red sauce, which was very salty. I asked if the chef can just fried it without the sauce, the chef said that is the only fried vegetable that he knows how to make and that's the only vegetable on the menu.
5. The deep fried soft shell crab was the worst ever I've ever eaten in my life.
6. The nasi goreng was incredibly sweet.

Honestly I went to Bali many times and had Balinese food in Jakarta with local Indonesian, and the taste were totally different from this. Not authentic.

And staff were really unaccommodating and unfriendly, will NEVER come back.

Date of visit: June 2016
4  Thank MmmmmmmmmmmmmmmV
CedricJacob, General Manager at TRi, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2016

Dear MmmmmmmmmmmmmmmV,

On behalf of the entire team of TRi, I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing our venue to celebrate a Birthday party as well as for the time you have taken to share your feelings. It is always very valuable for us to read guests' feedback – positive or not - to help us tackling any area of improvement.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for having disappointed you during your recent experience at TRi. I do understand that the team, both service and culinary, has been doing their very best, to deliver what our guests usually praise for. I cannot agree more with you about the fact that our cuisine is not authentic/traditional but, on the other hand, this is not our goal - the reason why we really try to emphasize on the "contemporary" approach of our Balinese offer.

Let me tell you that I am personally terribly sorry that we missed out the opportunity to make this special occasion more memorable. We try to be attune to each guest's specific expectations and I am sorry that we did not achieve with you.

Please rest assured that, should you decide to return one day or visit any of our other venue in Hong Kong, we would be enthusiastically diligent in making sure that your experience with us is filled with memorable touches.

Feel free to reach out to me directly to make any future booking arrangements if you ever wish to do so. My email is cedric@lecomptoir.hk and my personal mobile number is +85252002060.

With kind regards,

Cedric jacob

Reviewed 18 June 2016

I had my first year anniversary coming up so I decided to book a special restaurant for this occasion. The overall ambience of this restaurant was super cool. It was lightly dimmed with a bali environment of wickered chairs and menus. The most cool thing about this restaurant were the lily pods. There are around 4-5 lily pods available so if you want to be seated in them, you will have to reserve well in advance. The pods were cool but slightly uncomfortable if you are tall because you will need to cross your legs to squeeze below the table. The food was fine but nothing to rave over. I think the main thing about this restaurant is the ambience and the lily pods. The food is just dressing on the side, which was still very respectable. Overall had a good experience there but be prepared to spend at least 600-700hkd per head for dinner for appetizer, main course and drinks. I will recommend this restaurant for a nice date or for a special occasion.

Date of visit: June 2016
CedricJacob, General Manager at TRi, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2016

Dear Ray L,

We are so pleased to read about your recent experience with us at TRi - it does mean a lot that you have taken the time to share your positive feedback and hope that it will inspire others to discover our Contemporary Balinese Restaurant.

We are delighted to read that you have chosen TRi to celebrate your 1st year anniversary and we all congratulate you on this occasion. The decor and ambiance definitely contribute a lot for such a special moment with your loved one.

Sitting in our Lilly pods helps to enhance the experience of our guest. We have noted that these can be a bit uncomfortable and already received the new base to lift the table slightly up.

I would be glad to hear more of your constructive feedback in regards of our culinary offer, if there is any room of improvement to make the dinner event more memorable. Feel free to contact me personally at cedric@lecomptoir.hk.

The entire team at TRi send you their best regards and look forward welcoming you here again soon