All reviews covered courtyard jishuitan station minute walk circle line taxi driver charming courtyard hutong style home away from home real beijing bed was very comfortable dumplings courtyard hotel living room english speaking staff forbidden city chinese wall
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

My two teen daughters and I stayed here on a 2 night stop over after a month in Thailand.
Beds were divine! Room super clean, and the place in general is completely unique and special. Can’t comment on the location because our visit was just long enough to go see the major sights, but we LOVED this place. Don’t hesitate!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Citizenvenice
Reviewed 17 July 2018

we stayed at michaels house for 4 days in July 2018.

This is authentic Beijing as I recall from my first visits in the early 1990es.

Rooms are nice, clean and the right size, all with entrance towards the courtyard.

Location can be difficult to find, but after the first time then no problems. it is walking distance to the metro, and for the more adventurous also walking distance to central Beijing.

Service is swift and efficient - and they are ready to help if needed.

We were very happy to choose this place over the many concrete box hotels in Beijing. This place has a soul.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2018

As a medical journalist, MD, I seek solitude in a busy city as my traveling goal for many years. I found Michael's House. A charming hotel covered with ivy nestled in an alley or Hutong in Beijing. The major attractions of this city are within walking distance. It's thoughtful accommodations and cordial services; the gathering of global trotters enjoying conversations over breakfast and it's modern conveniences are enjoyable. Plan to visit it's other location in Guilin soon.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank painter228
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

OK so you've stayed in a Japanese riokan, an English coaching Inn and maybe a Mongolian yurt so why not stay in a hutong in Beijing?
It's quite fascinating, very comfortable and the staff are the most helpful and charming people in Beijing - not that there is much competition in the helpfulness or charming stakes from other Beijingians.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Philip B
Reviewed 16 April 2018

Three colleagues chose Michael's House because it is near Beijing Normal University and because of great reviews on Trip Advisor. We were hoping for "hutong boutique chic" of the caliber of Red Wall Garden where I stayed a few years in 2015.
On the plus side: The staff was very helpful and could converse reasonably well in English. The place is kept scrupulously clean, both in the rooms and public communal area. The beds and bed linens are top, top notch.
So why not 4 or 5 star? First, let's say my 3 star rating is really 3.5. I found the billing situation a bit unexpected. I booked three rooms for me and two colleagues. My credit card was charged the full amount immediately rather that just holding the reservation. For expense account purposes the rooms had to be individually paid. The manager assured me that the original charge would be canceled and our individual payments would be processed. I am still waiting(7 days for the cancelation 5 days for the new charges) for this to happen and realize it might take longer than normal due to international transactions. Also another unexpected, albeit minor irritation, was being told that our rate did not include breakfast although in all the write-ups of Michael's House had "free" breakfast. I probably didn't read the fine print somewhere. The breakfast was nice but not a 4 star breakfast and it seemed to emerge bit by bit rather slowly beginning at 7:30.
The courtyard sitting area with over stuffed furniture made a nice spot for our colleagues to share a bottle of wine but the homey feel is starting to wear and may soon be shabby. Along the same line, the wall of my room, N4, had a hole in the plaster and probably could use a little paint.
The double rooms, S1,2,3 are very small . When I made the reservation only two such rooms were available so I added a bigger room N4. It had a sitting area with nice couch. I recommend opting for the bigger room.
We stayed 3 nights at Michael's House and feel it was a good place to be. I didn't check out the area for alternatives so can't say if this is the best locally.

Stayed: April 2018