“My advice .. 'AVOID this restaurant'”

Hatraklin Bistro Meat & Wine
Ranked #25 of 1,844 Restaurants in Tel Aviv
Price range: US$10 - US$80
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Israeli, Grill, Wine Bar
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Between yhuda halevi street & lilienblum street
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I ate at this restaurant once before with a large group of people and it had excellent service, food and ambiance. So, I reserved a table here when my friend came for a visit - thinking that if they did so well with a large group, they would be even better with a dinner for two!

This time was different - and not in a good way.

A restaurant that is superb (in reality) should never need to say that they are the best. It's tacky at best. The experience should speak for itself and so when the waiter said this, I rolled my eyes and said, "uh..oh..."

Oddly, they didn't have a wine menu - even though they had many wines. What's with that? So, while we ordered a number of different glasses, we had to depend oh the waiter to bring what he thought would work for us. The wine was quite good - but, we didn't know the price until the end ...

The waiter rushed our table to make decisions on main courses to keep the kitchen organized. While we complied, the food took quite a long time to arrive.

When the food arrived, my guest wasn't happy with it -- feeling that it lacked flavor and was "chewy." (not the cute Star Wars Chewy either).

The waiter offered do bring something different, which he did rather quickly.

My food tasted good - albeit mediocre in a way that I felt it didn't get the attention that the food did the previous time. It lacked a "freshly cooked" experience.

When the bill came (and we didn't have to beg for it - unlike most restaurants in Israel), we found that we were charged for the substitute main course.

I don't like to think this way, but I can't help but think that becuase we spoke English, we wouldn't understand the bill in Hebrew - and not notice the double charge.

They removed the 'double charge' quickly, we paid and left - never to return :)

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,678)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We came to celebrate my birthday and the staff was so friendly and professional. The food was delicious. Excellent Israeli wine. They even give us a small desert on the house.
We had an amazing time. Will come back!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A friend who lives in TA had booked Hatraklin. The waiter introduce himself & said the restaurant was the best meat restaurant in Israel .. take my word, its not. He indicated there were 140 wines, so I thought a tasting would be ideal. No Pinot Noir was available, and in doing the testings, without a menu, I should have realised prices were unknown.

The waiter kept pushing the steaks, even though I prefer cheaper cuts of meat, slow cooked, We opted for the lamb kebabs, which were smothered in sauce, and the meat loaf. I was looking forward to a tasty tender meat loaf .. but it was an overcooked, m tasteless concoction.

The waiter suggested taking it back, and highly recommending the sliced sirloin, cooked on stone. When it came, the meat lacked flavour.

When the bill came, if we had not checked carefully, the waiter had not removed the meatloaf, as he had originally intended.

Our bill for two, after the meatloaf was removed, was IL 760 including service,

An expensive tasteless meal ..

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had some guests from Europe and we took them to this restaurant. The sausages were not tasty at all, the potatoes overcooked, nothing we took was any good. This restaurant is very pricey for what you get in return. I am very sorry but I would not recommend it at all.

2  Thank gabyhalperin
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

the food was great,every dish was served with delicate look and taste including the malabi desert and the banana homemade ice cream