“Dinner ”

Price range: US$1 - US$3
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Description: We serve noodle and spring rolls, summer rolls, and also vegetarian, typical Vietnamese food at reasonable price in the central, old quarter district of Hanoi.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Omg the pho is amazing here, good amount of chilli (hot chilli) considering all other phos we have tried have been very mild. The limes are good and juicy for the pho... I am not into soups but I'd eat this.... in fact I'll come here for lunch before leaving tomorrow night.... fyi the pho was my partners and I haven't eaten any soup/broth style dishes for close to ten years.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I enjoy food and eat a variety ranging from street food to more up-scale places and I have to say that I was greatly disappointed with my experience at this place. With all the good reviews and hundreds of them, I figured that I couldn't go wrong. When I entered, the lady (who seemed to be the owner) seemed expressionless. She in no way greeted me like I would a customer if I were the owner. But, I've heard that sometimes Vietnamese people can come across like that, so went in. There were already some customers and I sat down in one of the smaller tables (for 2). She brought me the menu and that moment I realized there was a staircase to the upper floor. I asked her if there was also tables upstairs and she just answered expressionlessly again saying it was the same upstairs. But, if I wanted she told me to order here and then go up as there was no staff up there. Anyway, I ordered, went up and saw the upstairs was completely empty and even a bit dark. Not inviting in any way, but did see a couple of foreigners out on the balcony-like area. I saw a 2-person table empty and sat down (noticing that someone had left half of their several summer rolls which made me worry once again about the quality of the food). I sat down and noticed how dirty the condiment bottles were. (For me, it's these little things that show how much love and care the restaurant puts in.) A young lady came to serve me and she was nicer, even turning the fan on for me seeing that I was all sweaty and hot. The food came and the first thing I noticed was the portion was ample. I ordered the stir-fried morning glory and the tofu and tomato stew(?) with rice. I could've done with just 1 of them (but I'd wanted some morning glory). The morning glory was ok as I like garlic stir-friend veggies, but the tofu and tomato I had a few tofu blocks and could not eat more because of the overpowering taste of MSG. If it wasn't MSG it was certainly something like MSG because I recognize the aftertaste (which bothers me a lot). I'm aware it's often used in SEA and even Chinese food, but can be ok if used to the right degree. This was too much. I even tried a few more blocks trying to make sure my judgment was correct. The rice served on the plate was also not good rice. I know the rice here is different to that eaten in East Asia (quality isn't as good), but this was just badly cooked rice with all the grain squashed (and it wasn't like that because it was 'sticky' rice).

Yes, I am a fussy eater, but it doesn't mean I only eat at high-end restaurants. I'm not rich. But, I know good food when I taste it and this certainly isn't good food. I don't know how this place could have so many good reviews. Was it just me that day? Or perhaps the chef was away (which made the owner frustrated hence the stern face)? Or were the people who left good reviews simply simple eaters with no understanding of good food? I will never know, but I certainly would not recommend this place. If this experience was at some cheap local place in an alley, then fair enough. But this place is supposedly set up looking like a clean place and mostly attracts tourists/foreigners. The portions are certainly big. Around $2.20 for a large dish of stir-friend morning glory and a tad bit more for the tofu and tomato stew. But, I would not come back as there are many mother eateries in the city that offer better food. I'd rather have a cheap bahn mi or pay more and go to a better place that knows food. Highly disappointed and I left more than 2/3 of my food (which wouldn't have happened at all even if I'd ordered two portions because I hadn't eaten all day till that very late lunch). Then I went to another good-rated place for bun cha and that place was totally 180 degrees different! Warm greetings, smiles, good simple clean-tasting food. So I have no idea how and why this place is rated this highly. If you're a fussy eater, go elsewhere.

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

Okay, it probably isn't the best Pho restaurant ever, but it was pretty good. Good and convenient (near the Cathedral) that we came twice. Both times we had the Pho (Pho Gai and then Pho Bo). Although, they might have put too many onions in the Pho, that was the only thing we had to complain. The broth was tasty and the Pho came in big portions for the price you are paying. We would recommend.

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

After long city walk we found this cozy place. The food was amazing. The lady was so kind when we ordered food. Spring rolls, bun bo nambo was so tasty even a fresh juice you have to definitely try!

Reviewed 26 September 2018

One of the best place to eat in Hanoi. Affordable, authentic and lovely vietnamese food! Our children loved it as we do! Great location in Hanoi center. Not to miss!