All reviews khao san road great location room was clean wet room no lift place to sleep the river guest house small street bars and restaurants stayed here for nights minutes walk away visit bangkok the main road guesthouse wifi shower
Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

Just 7 minutes walking from Kaosan Road but in quiet place so you don't get the noise of partying.
Also the place is near Chao Phraya river.
It's a clean hostel and has 24 hours reception.
We will repeat.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

Over the last few months of travelling when we have stopped over in Bangkok we have stayed at Erawan House and had no issues. The first couple of times we simply turned up and booked a room for 600 baht a night with aircon. It is a standard room however the location is good and you won't be disturbed by music!

The most recent visit we saw that the rooms online were pricey or sold out. I opted to email them to see what they had available and for how much. The prices had gone up to 800 baht a night however it was a busy national holiday weekend. When we turned up the hotel seemed to have been given a little attention since out last stay in May and was much nicer with free tea and coffee also available. The rooms were also much newer with a new TV, towels, bedding and bathroom. With it being busy in Bangkok the hotel was fully booked with people being turned away.

Never had any problems, good location and nice basic rooms. Just book in advance (email them) if your staying in peak season!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

The location of this place is ideal. Away from the noisy street but still close to it. Its walking distance from khao san as well as the pier. Helpful staff and a good stay overall. Clean rooms and staff know english so it helps.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2016

My teenage son Alex and I checked into Erawan House for seven nights, kicking off the start of our month's holiday in Thailand. I was eager for him to capture the sights, sounds and smells of this exciting, exhilarating and vibrant city with its amazing nightlife – but, just as importantly, I wanted him to have good night's sleep so that he could re-coup his energy for the next day's activities.

Erawan House proved to be the perfect hotel to provide this!

Checking in was completed within a few minutes with the minimum of fuss, and immediately afterwards, our luggage was taken upstairs to the first floor where we were shown our room.

Although the room was very basic and compact, it was clean and fully functional. Moreover, the size of the room didn't really bother us because we'd be out for the best part of each day.

There were two single beds which were really comfortable with mattresses which were neither too hard nor too soft and bedding which was both clean and well laundered. There was also adequate open hanging space with a clothes rail although only one small drawer.
But again, this was ok because most of our clothing would be kept folded away in our suitcases anyway.
There was a TV and fridge but as the channels were mostly foreign, we didn't use the TV.

The en-suite wet room comprising of WC, wash basin and shower was also very small and you had to be very careful when showering because in the absence of shower curtains, water would quickly drench everywhere! But we soon got into a routine of having our wash and shave and using the WC first before showering to save everywhere getting soaked, including toilet paper and towels which we'd keep outside until showering was finished.
Again, not too much of a problem. Just had to be a little bit forward planning and careful when using the wet room that's all.

The air conditioning was very efficient and worked perfectly but with temperatures and humidity of 36 degrees Celsius it really had to be. In fact, on occasions it was a little too efficient because on a couple of nights I woke up feeling cold having to get out of bed to increase the temperature on the air-con! But that was my fault and not of the aircon's.

Each morning, our room was cleaned thoroughly and to a high standard. Excellent!

The hotel staff were really nice and during our week at the hotel we built up quite a raptor with them, having a laugh and joke each day as we'd come and go.

Inside the foyer, there was two franchises – a travel agent to the right and a tailor shop to the left and, ironically, although we shared a few laughs with them all and enjoyed a bit of banter, I became saddened by the behaviour of some of them. Let me explain:

Every time Alex and I would come and go in and out of the hotel, we'd be approached by the two guys who ran the tailor shop touting for business. Ok, so no big deal you might say. And, although they were never aggressive or used hard sell tactics, after a while you became a bit fed up with them continually pestering you.
One morning I made the mistake of saying, “Maybe later!” instead of being more assertive and saying, “No!”

To them that was a green light and they became more persistent. This resulted in me buying four suits - two for Alex and two for myself!
Ok, that's not to say we weren't pleased with our purchases or they weren't good value for money, because all four suits were made to perfection and fitted us beautifully. But we could have done without it. And I suppose at the end of the day, you could say I created the problem myself by not being assertive enough!

I can't make it out because I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!

Whoops, I'd better keep to my review, sorry about that!

Secondly, I asked one of the girls at the travel agents, ( her name was Kung ), to book Alex and I a trip to Chiang Mai by VIP bus. We were heading North to do some trekking for a week.

I'd travelled by VIP bus before so I knew they provided a brilliant service in addition to a great deal of comfort. I specifically said to Kung, “We only want to go by VIP bus.” and pointed to the picture on the wall above her head which advertised the VIP Service. “Yes,yes, I understand.” she replied. So she was in no doubt whatsoever of what I required.

The following morning, a guy came to the hotel to collect us. We walked with him to a bus stop where after waiting for half an hour, we met up with lots of young backpackers before heading across the road to board a run down, beat-up old bus - which was definitely not a VIP bus!

To say that I was angry is an understatement. I kept on apologising to Alex because I knew what an ordeal this journey was going to be – and I was right!

The air con wasn't working properly, the seats were ripped and frayed, there was no light in the toilet downstairs and the stench of urine drifting up through the bus from the toilet directly below us was disgusting, - in addition to the overpowering stench of sweat circulating all around us.
The ten hour journey was dreadful and we couldn't get off the bus at Chiang Mai quick enough to get some fresh air!

I've now learned that some unscrupulous travel agents do this. They book you one of these death traps which are completely unregulated having been bought cheaply by equally unscrupulous bus operators who charge 350 baht for the journey. The travel agent charges 500 baht for the same journey making themselves 150 baht profit from each traveller.

So please be beware everyone if booking a VIP bus from the travel agent at Erawan House Hotel and don't fall into the same trap! If you do, you'll have a nightmare of a journey....Believe me!

Anyway, back to my review of the hotel.....

Whilst we were there, the hotel didn't provide breakfast ( as they have done, from reading other reviews ) but with so many wonderful restaurants, cafes, bistros and street food on the doorstep, we were spoilt for choice.
In fact, most mornings we would have the wonderful buffet breakfast at Rambattra Village Inn and Plaza, no more than 200 yards from the hotel heading towards Khaosan Road.
This lovely restaurant is part of a hotel and provides a superb buffet breakfast for 250 baht.
Each morning, we would sit by the hotel's pond which was adorned by exotic plants and water lilies watching the fish as we enjoyed our breakfast in the sunshine. Super!

Erawan House is very handy for Khaosan Road, the colourful and vibrant spectacle that is the Mecca of backpackers with its noisy and boisterous crowded cafes blasting out live rock music, market, shops, massage parlours, street traders and of course the continuous and endless convoy of tuk tuks and taxis slowly cruising up and down vying for business, oh, and not forgetting the masses of fun seekers looking for that cheap tee shirt or trinket, delicious street food or something more unsavoury!

Utter madness... But compelling and not to be missed!

The Cha Phraya River is also on the doorstep and a five minute walk will get you to Central Pier where the river taxis will swiftly speed you away to other parts of the city or connect you to Sky Train. From there you can visit Terminal 21, the most modern and beautifully designed shopping mall ever!
We used these two modes of transport repeatedly, because they are fast, efficient and very cheap.

Lastly, if you come out of the hotel and turn right you can pick up the number 15 bus on the main road which will take you to MBK or Siam Discovery, two other ultra modern shopping malls out of the space age. If you like shopping, don't go, otherwise you may come back skint!

So in conclusion I would sum up by saying that Erawan House is a clean, no frills, well-run budget hotel which is centrally located. Yes, it may be a bit tired but it's also very functional and ideally placed for a week discovering Bangkok. It's also exceptionally good value for money.

A week's accommodation for Alex and I on a room only basis was just £127. I think you'd agree that's good value. I'd definitely use this hotel again and recommend it to others but, at the same time advising them to stay clear of the tailor - and book tours elsewhere!

Good luck everyone ….and happy holidays! Lee.

Stayed: June 2016
2  Thank Lee A
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed there two times — first time we had a nice room however needs slight renovation. Second time room was freshly renovated, shiny and spotless! Good location and stuff, laundry washing only 35 baht/kg. Note: better to use nearly Phra Artit pier for sightseeing, than taxis!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple