Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Magnificent Lemurs

Manitra of MER was very helpful in arranging my independent touring in Anjozorobe National Park and... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
mmaxwest
The ultimate of organising your tour in Madagascar

We had our trip arranged through Mer Madagascar Endemics & Resorts by Manitra and we were really... read more

Reviewed 5 weeks ago
Gecko065
Hengelo, The Netherlands

All reviews once in a lifetime new york times our honeymoon his knowledge perfect itinerary an amazing trip spent days day trip mer mani arrangements nyu scholarship ranomafana sites budget article
Reviewed 21 March 2018

I had to travel from LA to South Africa to present my PhD proposal, and on a whim I bought a plane ticket to Madagascar to celebrate after. I've always wanted to go there, ever since I had to read a book about how 80% of the wildlife isn't found anywhere else on earth. I found out the date of my presentation about 3 weeks before I had to be there. Now, I'm definitely a person who has no problem randomly deciding to go to country I've never been to with pretty much no plans. I also really love traveling alone, some people don't get it, but I like doing what I want to do when I want to do it, and spending that much time with another person often results in then getting on my nerves. As much as I love meandering around foreign lands, with a new job my vacation time is precious. I immediately started feeling like this time I might have gotten in over my head. First, I bought the ticket for the end of February/beginning of March, which I found out after was the tail end of Typhoon season. Second, I seriously underestimated the size of the island, and the public transportation available. Flights around the island are expensive compared to flights within other countries in Africa, like $600 round trip expensive. And as far as i can tell, you can only fly from Antananarivo to other cities or vice versa. So if I wanted to go to Morondava and Nosy Be, I would have to fly from Antananarivo to Morondava, back to Antananarivo, then to Nosy Be. I decided that either I was going to end up staying in Antananarivo and doing a coupe day trips, or I would have to get some help. So I relented and turned to the internet. It was the off season, many parks and hotels were closed and a lot of the advertised tours weren't available. So I decided to just email a couple places, tell them where I wanted to go, and see what they came up with. Manitra considered my tight schedule (only 5 days, including the days I flew in and out) and what I was hoping to see, as well as my budget and came up with some itineraries. Although I got some other responses, I was impressed by the obvious care and consideration he put into his plans. I felt like he really wanted me to experience Madagascar as much as I did, and he was going to do his best to make than happen. Considering I'm not normally the guided tour type; I've never even booked a resort vacation; I was impressed. He managed to come up with a plan that included my most desired points of interest, without feeling rushed or stressful. He arranged all the tours and guides, and was very communicative, He even made a point to come to my hotel when I arrive to greet me. I would highly recommend Manitra and his company for anyone who wants to make the most of their Madagascar vacation.

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank joslynf507
Reviewed 11 February 2018

Manitra will design a tour for you that suits your desires and pocketbooks and make it amazing! He has many years experience and has worked with some of the best expedition leaders in the world who have aided in honing his extensive skills and knowledge.

I have kept friends with Manitra for ten years.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank Jan R
Reviewed 20 January 2018

We would rate Manitra as the best wildlife and culture guide in our more than 40 years of global travel including eight trips to Africa. He is a warm and friendly person who speaks excellent English and who is interesting to travel with and talk to both about life in Madagascar but also events in the world. He knows Madagascar tourism very well and helped us navigate some of the most interesting and out of the way places, along with an endless array of fascinating lemurs! We would travel with him again in a heartbeat.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank SantaFeUser
Reviewed 5 December 2017

I used Manitra a couple of years ago for a few trips across Madagascar. The cars he used were clean and reliable, the drivers were safe, and he was able to take us to some of the coolest treasures in the country. He's a little more pricey than some other tour guides, but definitely worth it.

Date of experience: December 2017
1  Thank enokimushroom
Reviewed 3 November 2017

Manitra helped my sister and I plan an incredible two week trip all over Madagascar. He was so helpful and knowledgable! Without his help, we never would have had such a great trip. He's the best!

Date of experience: December 2016