“Trekking Toubkal Adventure”

Trekking Toubkal Adventure - Day tours
Ranked #643 of 782 Outdoor Activities in Marrakech
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offers a wide range of mountain treks from the Mount Toubkal and Mt M'Goun, to the more gentle Valley of Roses, Berber villages and valley treks or Jbel Sirwa regions. We offer also a variety of Mountain Biking & Cycling holiday in Morocco, Short Day Excursions and multi-day bike trip holidays from Marrakech.
Reviewed 29 June 2015

I'd rate the experience as average to poor, and things got really awkward at the end. Oh, be sure to bring cash, they don't take credit cards. Anyways, my husband and I selected Trekking Toubkal Adventures because they promised they would accommodate my special diet needs. I have a wide range of allergies. Unfortunately, the tour coordinator, Houssain, did not seem to communicate this to the guide and cook, even though we called the day before with a reminder, so I was a bit hungry the first day. But, so was my husband, even though he ate what I couldn't eat. The food that was available, while good, wasn't exactly plentiful. I had to laugh, after the guide told me frankly that there was nothing I would be able to eat for breakfast, and was about to leave it at that. When I told the guide that I wouldn't be pleased at embarking on an 8 hour hike with no food in the morning, he said he would find some eggs, which I do appreciate. The guide was fine on the mountain and took care to help us during the decent when things got tricky, so no complaints there. However, I was deeply dissapointed at the lack of planning regarding my dietary needs. Also, the tip was very awkward. We brought along 10% of the cost of the hike for a tip, which is very standard from my experience, especially given the fact, that we weren't exactly wowed by the service. We gave the whole tip to the guide to split with the cook as he saw fit (usual practice on hiking trips I've done), but the guide wanted to keep the whole amount. We told him that he had to give some of it to the cook, he then kept telling us that it wasn't enough, and wouldn't stop winging about it. When we insisted that he split it with the cook, he indignantly gave us some money back to give directly to the cook. Anyways, it was all very awkward, and unpleasant, and ruined the end of what was otherwise a nice hike.

Anyways, as some advice for people using this tour operator. Bring cash to pay for the hike. If you pay a tip, give it at the very, very, very end of the hike, before you get in the taxi (10% - 20% is the global standard depending on your satisfaction with the service). Bring extra snacks for the hike, as there isn't much food on offer. We usually do that anyways, but were scrambling to get ready in the morning after a wedding, so we weren't on our A game.

Reviewed 19 June 2015

Myself and two friends did the two-day Toubkal trek and had a tremendous experience. We were picked up from our hostel in Marrakech by Houssain and he personally walked us to the pick-up caravan. We started our trek in Imlil, where our accommodations at Riad Atlas Toubkal were second to none. Abraham and company cooked us dinner and breakfast to get us ready for our two-day trek. Our guide, Hassan, had vast knowledge of the Toubkal trek and was kind enough to sit with us and eat with us at the refuge base camp. Other guides didn't give the personal attention that Hassan did. Our experience working with Houssain was outstanding and would recommend to anyone interested in hiking Mt. Toubkal.

1  Thank Patrick V
Reviewed 16 June 2015

From start to finish myself and two friends had a great experience working with Houssain. We were able to complete the trek from Imlil to the summit of Toubkal in June 2015 in two days, which would not have been possible without Houssain and his incredible team. Houssain always answered my emails and questions leading up to the trip, he was early to pick us up from our hostel and super friendly. Our accommodation at Riad Atlas Toubkal the night before our trek was great, including both dinner and breakfast. We were all a bit nervous about completing the trek but our guide Hassan was amazing and extremely helpful. Our night at the refuge Hassan sat and talked with our group before, during and after dinner while the other guides did not spend the same time with the trekkers, his interest in our lives back home and great conversation set him apart from the other guides. Overall wonderful experience working with Houssain and everyone at Toubkal Trekking.

Reviewed 9 June 2015

My friend and I did the 3 day round trek to Mt Toubkal at the beginning of May 2015, and we met two other friends who met us on the 2nd day. Houssain was incredibly professional and hospitable - firstly he was very responsive on email, organising transfers, accommodation and meeting up with our friends. He picked us up from Marrakech airport and took us to Imlil, and also sorted crampons for us, where we stayed in a cute Riad with dinner and breakfast included.

The next day we started the hike with a great guide called Brahim. The hike was the 3 day version (rather than the 2 day trek straight up Imlil valley and back). The first day was great and not too hard, staying in a great refuge on a terraced farm with the sun shining, with a river below and stunning mountains and waterfalls as the backdrop. Yummy food, and very good toilet and bed facilities (hardly anyone there which was nice). The second day was tough but rewarding, up past the waterfalls and climbing through snow! Arrived at Toubkal refuge and relaxed for the afternoon. The refuge is full of people and very god atmosphere. OK toilets. The ascent of Toubkal was incredible - leaving early and hiking through snow. Brahim even waited in Imlil until the nice new taxi picked us up to go back to Marrakech. Very good service.

Only slight downside was my two friends who met us on the third day at Toubkal refuge - they were not given much information in Imlil and were guided by a man who took off with his mule half way up Imlil valley and left them random food for lunch! Not a huge deal as it was easy to find your own way. Just thought I'd mention this as feedback rather than a major criticism as the company is otherwise great.

All in all I highly recommend this company. It was great value. I also recommend the 3 day hike!
Alex

2  Thank abaird24
TrekkingToubkal A, Owner at Trekking Toubkal Adventure - Day tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2015

Dear Alex,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback; we really appreciate that. we hope to see you again with us next time for another trips.

Best Regards