“Great Food”

Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You hungry? Famous for American and German food served "Family Style". Hearty and light portions including chicken, hand cut steaks, roast beef, sauerbraten, wiener schnitzel cutlets, Amana made brats, pork chops, catfish, sandwiches, salads, homemade soups and desserts...Including rhubarb custard with meringue topping, chocolate and coconut cream pies. Pies to Go. Children's and Carryout menus. Local, American and imported wines, beers, and cocktails. Serving daily Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Banquets and on Sundays a Four Entree Brunch Buffet. The Ox Yoke Inn is "An Amana Colonies Tradition Since 1940." It's main dining rooms were built in 1856, and is a National Historic Landmark. Five generations of the Leichsenring family have owned and operated the restaurant.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had the porkchop which was extremely flavorful. We opted for the plated meals instead of the family style- I'd say it all depends on what you like for sides and how hungry you are! Of course, you must save room for dessert. They bring out an entire tray so you can see the options which makes it hard to say no. It took a little while to get our food- the family style diners seemed to receive theirs more quickly though.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A friend and I where traveling along I80 and decided to travel to the Amana Colonies to grab something to eat and look around.

Growing up in IA and still living in IA, I don't recall coming to the Amana Colonies but I would challenge people to visit the Amana Colonies and stay over night as you will be intrigued as you walk through this area of the Amana Colonies.

The Ox Yoke Inn is a very neat and clean restaurant and has excellent tasting home style cooking. I had the Salmon which was good and my friend had the ham. There is parking in back of the restaurant and has a small gift shop when you first walk into the restaurant. You must enter into the restaurant on the back side of the building.

We purchased one of the 12 desserts that are brought out on a plate for you to review before purchasing to eat. We selected one of the pies which I would recommend purchasing as they are made from scratch and are very large pieces. The pies are not those that are trucked in from a large store and then unpackaged and thrown on a plate to make it look like they made it.

The resturant has a small outside patio on the back side and has plenty of inside seating. ENJOY!

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

We had drinks in the cellar and it had an intimate pub feel. The bartender was so kind, helpful and informative. We had drinks, dessert and coffee in the cozy setting.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We got this recommendation from our B&B host and it was definitely and excellent one. It was Easter so it was very busy but as it is quite big we did not wait. The service was good and quick.

We ordered roast beef (delicious), fried chicken (recommended), fried pickles (very good), German Bratwurst.... and two desserts to share.

We arrived late for Sunday Brunch but my wife checked the offer and she thought that was better to order from the menu.

I strongly recommend this place and to visit it with enough time or even to spend the whole day there, since it is a cozy village.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

13 friends and family met to eat at this restaurant. We were treated so well. Only waited a short time to be seated. We had a wonderful, accomedating waitress. Wendy got our food and drinks to us in a timely fashion. She made sure we had whatever we needed. The food was excellent. My husband commented often that he would like to come back again. Having such a pleasant waitress made our visit especially good.

Been to Ox Yoke Inn? Share your experiences!