“Had a great time here but.....”
Review of Magnolias

Magnolias
Ranked #263 of 403 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Reviewed 5 March 2021

This bar charged an automatic 20% gratuity on my bill. This spot was a lot of fun on a Saturday night. Typical college crowd. Best to order cocktails that are well known as one bartender told me she didn't know what a B52 shot was. After a few shots and a couple cocktails, I did not notice they had charged me an automatic 20% gratuity. I'm about 50/50 on catching this 'charge' but that percentage drops on nights when I've been celebrating and I missed it this night. Having worked at bars and restaurants in college myself, I typically overtip. The next day, I did consider complaining but chalked it up as a reminder to be vigilant next time and because I had had a really good time.

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (3)
Reviewed 7 January 2019

My wife and I stopped in for a couple of drinks and to watch the first half of the Dallas Cowboys / Seattle Seahawks playoff game. They have large projection TV which was good for watching the game. The bartender was attentive and made us very good drinks.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed 28 August 2018

Now and again, a noisy bar on a Friday night is a great experience. But going into Magnolias in the heart of Athens' grid of central streets was less than pleasant.
Being loud, echoey and brash does not mean that a place has character or appeal.
We stayed for a swift drink and then left.
I'm not sure what's wrong with Magnolias. It doesn't seem to have found the right formula, although it may appeal to the huge student army in the town.
It's a sports bar, first and foremost, but it lacks soul.
Not our sort of place.