“Great Snorkeling but the rest was just okay”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 1 review

Reviews from our community

Trent O
North Richland Hills, Texas
“Great Snorkeling but the rest was just okay”
Reviewed 23 March 2016 for a stay in March 2016
people found this review helpful

I've got mixed emotions about my recent stay at Infinity Bay in Roatan. We had booked a 2 bedroom condo that I found on TripAdvisor for the majority of the trip (6 nights) and had to book a normal room at the resort for our last night due to conflicting bookings that night with the condo.

Observations about the Condo: The condo was on the 4th story with no easy elevator to speak of which makes for a lot of stairs, nice inside, and had your standard issue island themed furniture, basic living room, and balconies which had great views of the pool and to some degree the ocean. It was a two bedroom, 2 bathroom, laundry room, full kitchen, and living room setup. The wifi which is free in the rooms was spotty at best early on and didn't function at all towards the end of the trip even when trying to piggie back off the neighboring unit for some reason. The water pressure in the shower was non-existent and barely trickled out, 2 out of the 6 nights there was a distinct odor of sewage coming from somewhere outside the unit that was lingering, the TV was extremely fuzzy on all channels, and lastly the bed was overly firm and the pillows even more so, so sleeping was never very pleasant.

Observations about the Hotel Room: We spent our last night in one of the hotel rooms which also had a full kitchen and laundry room but was a 1 bed 1 bath style setup on the 1st floor. Immediate differences for the better were the great water pressure, consistent wifi signal with faster bandwidth, and comfier pillows. If given the choice between the two units again and discounting the price from the equation I would chose this room over the condo without question. The smell of sewage was extremely evident in this room though far more than our condo and again was seeping in from outside the unit somehow. That kind of smell should never be in any unit at a resort of this price point, period. If a budget hotel stateside can smell clean for $60/night then a $250-400/night resort room should certainly smell better.

Observations about the Resort in general: The pool is excellent, very large, great temp, lots of chairs, great views of the beach and ocean, and has a nice swim up bar. We spent a fair amount of time around the bar there and Steven McQueen as he's called was easily my favorite bar tended, a bit on the quieter side compared to the rest but his service was top notch.

The beach in front of the resort is again excellent, it has private security keeping you safe, lots of chairs however they were claimed early each morning so if you wanted a great spot you had to claim it before around 8:30am.

The best snorkeling I've ever experience anywhere in the world whether it was swim out or boat trip to a location. The first day I went visibility was easily 150ft or more with tons of wildlife. Highlights included a 2ft puffer fish, 1ft blue tile fish, 2ft eel of some kind, blue spot flounder, french angelfish, several species of butterfly fish, and many other species. People reported seeing sea turtles in the deeper parts of the reef and cuddlefish in evening trips as well. The coral is in great condition all things considered for a spot that sees literally hundreds of snorkelers a day the majority of the week. There is obvious damage in places from people standing on the reef but with a lot of the reef in the 10-20ft depths it is simply spectacular. The worst visibility I saw was still better than 50ft.

The staff were overall it seemed somewhat uninformed and the resort didn't function how I expected a 5 star resort to function compared to say a premier resort elsewhere in the Bahamas or Mexico. I had planned a massage and pedicure for my girlfriend when we arrived on the first day, I had included our arrival time from the airport and tentative time when I would like those services to happen after we got to the hotel when I set this up with an employee over email the week before...at the time I didn't realize it would take us 2hrs to get through their horrible customs line at the airport and another 45 minutes wait for the shuttle to fill up and then ultimately take another 30 minute drive to the hotel which couldn't have been more than 15 miles away. When we arrived over 2hrs late to the massage and I explained to that person what happened they just sighed and said yeah that's typical. If that is typical for a Saturday arrival in Roatan, and I booked my appointments 1.5hrs after arrival but should have been a minimum of 3hrs after arrival, they should have told me that timeline won't work. When I arrived and asked to speak to Andres whom I had an appointment with, the front desk person told me where I might find him and basically just sent me to go look for him myself instead of using the walkie or the phone to figure out where he was and set up our meeting. The activity planner had completely neglected to tell us that our planned trip to Cayos Cochinos Islands on Wednesday of our stay had been cancelled and I only found out that trip wasn't happening when I ran into the 3rd party trip person who runs the actual boat part of that excursion when he tried to sell me a trip then mentioned he runs the trip we were supposed to take and it was cancelled due to wind. This was on Monday after booking the trip the week before, this was also 2 days prior to our expected trip to Cayos Cochinos. We ended up changing our trip to the Pigeon Cay trip instead that Tuesday since Cayos wasn't being run and that trip never happened either because Ray couldn't get his 3rd engine running on the boat so we wasted the whole morning meeting up, loading the boat which was 45min behind schedule in the first place, then getting about 5 minutes out of the cove to realize with 2 motors it couldn't maintain speed to keep the bottom off the reef and they had to come back and cancel the trip. They offered to refund or re-book on Friday and we opted to just skip it all together and used that money to do a fishing trip instead.

The fishing in Roatan is not great, catch rates are low and typically small blackfin tuna, small dorado, and barracuda are the main catches during most of the year. We chanced it just to get on the water and did okay with 4 big barracuda on a half day trip ($700 for 5 people, 3 fishing) on Roatan Island Charters a boat with quad 350hp outboards that was awesome. Pretty much my dream center console at 42' and a top speed of 65 knots I'm told. That being said unless you just want to get out on the water I wouldn't spend the money to fish here, it's bad compared to south Florida/Bahamas/Costa Rica/Cabo San Lucas.

Observations about the food: The resort food I found to be just okay. It was standard snack style food for the most part at the Palapa bar and their main entrees left something to be desired. I had a romantic dinner setup for my now fiance and I after proposing to her the first night we were there and my steak was just okay and her pasta wasn't great. Their food director Andres however was extremely accommodating for my special requests to get that special night setup and was there to offer any help with anything I needed throughout my trip. He set me up with a great private dinner with white table cloth and flowers etc on our balcony for the special moment and had a personal waiter for the evening who was awesome.

Roatan in general - we ate at several other local places with my favorite being the Vintage Pearl right down the way from Bananarama a short walk from our resort. We ate dinner here 4 nights out of the 7 and only because I didn't find it until the 2nd night lol. Their filet mignon was out of this world and came in either a red wine reduction or cognac demiglaze depending on the night. Definitely check this place out if you visit.

Overall nice looking resort visually but I wouldn't personally come back here via plane or stay at Infinity Bay again probably. Roatan is great for snorkeling and diving for sure but for the price I paid to stay at Infinity Bay $400/night, I could have had far nicer accommodations elsewhere in the Caribbean or in Thailand. Also I guess I expected a little more night life which there isn't much of and there weren't many people of our age ...we are late 20's/early 30's and the average age was probably 50+ for whatever it's worth. The insane lines at the airport and insane price to fly there $1200/person really turned me off especially considering the lack of AC in the majority of it and over 6hrs of total wait time coming there and going home. Also the fact that they have a 15% sales tax and another 4% tax after that means you really get hit extra on everything you buy there including your hotel.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The incredible snorkeling right off the beach
Liked least: The hard pillows and stiff mattress plus random sewage smells in our room
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing