All reviews family run would highly recommend this hotel wonderful hotel courtyard garden small bar colonial style hotel central park hot water breakfast was excellent latin america each morning reception area rooms are clean home away from home wi fi jose modelo
Reviewed 23 April 2018

This hotel was a great surprise. The hotel has great character, it's in a great location and the folks running the place are charming and helpful. My room (Room #6) was large with a nice size bathroom. There was plenty of closet space as well. The small coffee pot and coffee on the desk really helped to win me over.

The bed was was very comfortable. With the exception of the Easter processions passing by on a couple of evenings, the room was quiet.The only problems I ran into were poor water pressure and very small portions at breakfast. The water pressure problem appeared to isolated to my room. No one else in our party had any issues.

I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

Myself and 2 friends stayed at the Hotel Modelo for 6 nights and had 2 rooms, Room 5 and Room 12. Both rooms were spacious, very clean, and very well decorated.
The hotel is in a great location, a very short walk to the main central square, and many restaurants, bars, and bakeries were in very short walking distance.
The breakfast was excellent. I always got the Typical Breakfast and it was delicious and filling.
The staff at the hotel is excellent. All are very friendly and helpful. Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping to the lady in the bar were so friendly.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2018

I have been to Guatemala many times and Hotel Modelo is my favourite. It is not perfect in every detail, it was built in 1894, but this family owned place gives me the right vibrations. Friendly helpful staff, well one of he waiters is a copy of Manuel in Fawlty Towers but that is part of the charm. I have a very sensible nose and it even smells good.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I have stayed at the Modelo several times and it is my favorite. It's beautiful, for one thing, with many historical touches from the family who has owned it for forever. The grounds are very nice, with a courtyard garden, and the location is central to everything.

They do a great breakfast and they have a "happy hour" menu at the bar, which is a nice quiet spot too.

Their service is outstanding and they are willing to give travelers lots of good advice about transportation, restaurants, directions, and so on. One employee even walked me to a restaurant to make sure I didn't get lost! They deal with our large groups with patience and grace, and I had a great time when I stayed there solo, also. My first choice for a hotel in the area, for sure.

Room tip: Traveling solo; room 3 (tiny but quiet). Traveling as a couple, room 4 (larger and very nice)
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2018

A delightful and attractive hotel with exceptional staff willing to please their visitors. They serve a delicious home-cooked breakfast and the entire property is attractive and very clean. Room amenities are what you might expect in Latin America. Enjoy your stay.

Date of stay: October 2017