“A little bit of jungle close to town”
other traveller has booked this property
Set in an acre of subtropical garden, with your own private - kitchen - bathroom - veranda
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Kitchen looks onto garden
Kitchen with a view
Cahal Pech ruins a 20 minute walk away
Cahal Pech Ruins
Perfect for a special occasion
Birds and squirrels share the feeders
Why not chill out on the hammock
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

MegDesc
Escondido, California
“OK, for a short spell”
Reviewed 30 September 2017 for a stay in August 2017

Our stay at the Hummingbird got off to a very bad start. The sign outside the fence has the name of a different resort, and no one we asked knew where it was. We finally were able to call, but it would have helped to have this detail in the directions. The lodge itself is bare bones. The bathroom didn't have a sink, and had a very tiny shower. There was a nice outdoor patio. It was very private, even though it is located behind the owners' house and so you have to get them every time you want to come or go. We didn't see any wildlife, other than geckos. The owners feed iguanas, but we were not there during the day.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
30 Sep 2017
I am sorry you found it difficult to find us, but we did provide detailed directions to the property including exact mileage from every junction and described in detail the entrance to the property, the sign you refer to is only visable once you are on the property and refers to other cottages on the property. You did not need to call us every time you entered and left the property, you chose to sit in your car and beep your horn for us to open and not open the gate yourselves. As for a sink in the bathroom ? There is one and we would not be able to get our llicence from the Belize Tourist Board without one, they in fact completed our annual inspection this week and we received 100%. As for bare bones, cable tv, wifi, equiped kitchen with all crockery, cuttlery, pots and pans, 3 ring gas hob, coffee maker, fridge, toaster/griller etc, the unit is exactly as advertised and all pictures were taken byself of the actual unit you stay in and 100% accurate. As for the wildlife you can never guarantee what will be around on any given day, please check our fb page for actual video footage of wildlife, if you look at reviews on other booking sites you will note some guests have actually hand fed iguanas (rare event, they are timid). No doubt your dissatisfaction could explain why you left your garbage and towells all over the floor throughout your unit.
sporkster
Rockies
“A little bit of jungle close to town”
Reviewed 6 December 2016 for a stay in November 2016
people found this review helpful

I had an absolutely wonderful experience booking at Iguana Roost. Peter was very responsive, and always got back to me quickly with answers. When the larger cabin became available, I was offered an upgrade at a very reasonable price.
Peter insisted on meeting me at the bus station, even though I was just going to take a taxi. Arriving, I was met by the family, and was shown to my rental, where I was met by hummingbirds (which entertained me the entire time I was there). Jenny and Peter were always available with any questions I had, whether it was the property, or going into San Ignacio.
During the Saturday market (A big deal in SI), they offered to drive me down, which was very nice. I was able to cook my own meals on the 4 burner/hob stove. There was also a coffee pot and an electric kettle, so I could have tea. The cottage was spacious, clean, and inviting. The location was enough out of town to be remote, while close enough to town to walk (but, mind the heat/humidity if you aren’t use to it…take a taxi). Jenny did my laundry for a small fee, and it was folded and brought up to me!
When packing, make sure you have a torch/flashlight if you will be coming back after dark. While they did offer to lend me one, I had my headlamp, which helped me to keep from stepping on critters. Because: Belize is a jungle!
I often chatted with the family, and I always was offered a proper cup of tea. They were very welcoming, and would welcome me if they saw me coming back from one of my forays into the area. And, when I got ready to leave, Peter again insisted on getting me to the bus…which is a story I’ll let him tell you about!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Great location with spacious area for work
Liked least: A bit dark if coming back late: bring a torch/flashlight
Travelling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Management Response
6 Dec 2016
Dear Suzanne,

We are so glad you enjoyed stay with us, and we do miss are chats. We look forward to hosting you and your hubby in the not to distant future

Regards
Peter & Family
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing