All reviewsrestaurant downstairsno elevatorcafe next doorsmokey mermaidcrackerslots of characterraddison hotelhardwood floorsoffer breakfastcharming hotelfirst floorle petit cafecolonial mansionspacious roomtourist villagesafe areawater taxi
Reviewed 28 July 2018

At the Great House, my room was charming and comfortable in an Old World way but with modern amenities. The room was frankly bigger than what I needed--I wished I had known people there that I could have invited over! The staff associated with the hotel was warm, friendly and helpful. There's a security guard on duty at night in front, who was cheerful and it was reassuring to have him there, given Belize City's reputation. I appreciated that the Great House seems to have a good relationship with the Radisson, as I was able to book terrific tours to Altun Ha and the Baboon Sanctuary through the Radisson and for BZ$25, was allowed to use the Radisson's excellent gym facilities. For breakfast, the Great House provides a coupon to guests for BZ$9.50 at the neighbouring le Petit Café, which has some small continental breakfast plus like options--that coupon left me with a small amount left to pay for a quiche and a latte. My only wish is that there were a bank ATM closer than the South Side which visitors could use (there was an issue with Belize Bank ATM for my RBC card). All in all, in a city where location can present issues, the Great House I felt was an excellent choice for exploration of Belize City.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2018

We were only stopping overnight to catch a tour the next morning so spent only 1 night there. The Inn is lovely and included breakfast at the restaurant next door. The Radisson across the street has good food and several options for dining. Loved the room but it was a little warm overnight.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2018

I would recommend the Great House without hesitation to anyone looking for a quality place to stay in Belize City. The staff is great, the rooms are great (a perfect cross between British Colonial charm and modern updates), and the location is great. I'm looking forward to coming back again soon!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2018

The ambiance is so much nicer than the Radisson across the street. The rooms are spacious and clean and stocked with water, crackers, tea and coffee, and Wifi. The staff is very helpful and friendly, especially the front desk staff. There is security at night 9also friendly). The AC works well, a basic necessity in the city.
It is not accessible - two flights of stairs to get it - so if you have mobility issues, go across to the Radisson, which has elevators.
The breakfast that is included with the room is provided through a voucher for the cafe next door. They sell mostly baked goods and pastries, so it can get tired if you are there for multiple days (the banana loaves are excellent, but one cannot live by bread alone). The Radisson across the street has a good breakfast buffet if you need variety - not free, though.

Room Tip: My favourite is Room 1 - very spacious, nice window bench, great space for working with a team of people, which I was.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2018

The Hotel was recommended by the Inter-American Development Bank and Belizean Authorities. I was on a consultancy trip to Belize and had a meeting the next day I arrived. I arrived late because I drived from the Mexican border so I wanted to have a proper bath but there was no HOT water in the room. Tried to used the phone (but either did not worked or nobody was at the Reception Desk to solve the problem). Next day early in the morning was the same, no hot water and the people at the Reception Desk just apologized only after I insisted in asking what happened (I was expecting they will contact me first). Because it is a hotel that of a higher price than average and I considered fancy from the photos you can get, I expected the management to either offer a discounted rate, have a full refund (because the lack of hot water is no small thing). I insisted in their response and asked if they could perhaps offer me a free or discounted night for my next trip and stay. They said it was not possible.The

Room Tip: Expect no hot water. Bad breakfast and no attention at the Front Desk in
Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business