All reviews dirty habit the national portrait gallery post office building verizon center front desk quirky hotel penn quarter wine hour first floor presidential suite directly across the street national mall labor day weekend excellent location within walking distance valet parking room service
Reviewed 2 May 2018

This is a great hotel in a great location, has been totally updated and is very comfortable. Our only complaint, as we stayed several days, was there was nowhere in the rooms to unpack our suitcases except for the hang ups in the closet. All else was very nice. The young lady at the front desk was very pleasant and helpful and should be commended, as we found the rest of the support staff, bell, valet, etc. not too friendly or helpful.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Gregory L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Kawejo thank you for your great comments regarding our hotel and staff. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you return to the Hotel Monaco Washington DC soon....

Reviewed 1 May 2018

We spent 4 nights at this Kimpton. We picked it knowing that it had a restaurant and bar. We were told the first morning that we couldn't eat there because we had not made reservations. Had we known we had to do that we would have. We tried to make reservations for dinner, but it was closed for a wedding. Security was an issue as some girls came to our floor asking where the bathroom was located. From our room on the 3rd floor we could hear the Metro which woke us up way too early. We have stayed at Kempton's in the past, but this one I will stay away from. Good thing is the location. Bed was comfortable, and room clean.

Room Tip: Room on 3rd floor has noise from the Metro
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank JanBoise
Gregory L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

JanBoise thanks for your comments and I'm sorry we weren't able to get you into Dirty Habit. Our breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurant and bar is a busy place, but we make every effort to make sure our guests have the opportunity to relax and enjoy. I am glad to read you enjoyed the room and our Kimpton bed. Please do return soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2018

I needed a hotel that was in a centralized location in D.C., one that would not require a car to move around and where I could rest after long days of back to back meetings. I picked the Kimpton Monaco DC location initially because it was a quick step from everything I needed to do during my trip and it had caught my attention last time I was in the D.C.

What I did not expect was that this old post office would charm me from the moment I walked in, not just by the unique decor and wonderful art, but by the amazing staff who just went out of their way each day to make me feel welcomed and comfortable. I stayed in the Premier Monte Carlo room which was large and perfect to unwind and do yoga. They provide yoga mats and other extras that I didn't expect. The room had a table that doubled as a desk, with plenty of USB and power outlets.

The food at the restaurant

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LetSanG thank you for your great comments! Our location is fantastic and it's great to read that you were charmed by our team. Please return soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

The location can’t be beat, but this hotel has several deal-breaking faults in my book. The reception area employees are more interested in being hip than hospitable. Rarely did I see staff helping guests up fairly steep stairs from the street to the lobby. I managed my luggage OK, but help would have been nice. Regular rooms are tiny. Closets are barely big enough for two coats, and bathrooms have minimal counterspace and no hooks. I could have done without the slightly creepy animal print bathrobes. The real dealbreaker for me was the totally inadequate breakfast option. There aren’t enough tables in the one very dark restaurant; service is glacially slow; the food only average; and the unwelcoming hostess is totally unconcerned that guests must wait for quite awhile. I gave up one morning and was unhappy to have to go out on a cold day to a coffee shop around the corner. But if you get stuck, try Bakers and Baristas for a great cup of coffee.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank KLWilson

KLWilson thank you for selecting the Hotel Monaco Washington DC. It's never fun to read of a guest that didn't enjoy their stay; our restaurant and bar Dirty Habit if open to our guests for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I'm so sorry that we didn't satisfy you. I do hope you return we too love our morning coffee!

Reviewed 23 April 2018

My husband and I spent my birthday weekend in a Premier Monte Carlo king room on the third floor of the hotel. Our room was clean and VERY comfortable The decor quirky and fun. There was plenty of storage for clothing and luggage. The bed and pillows were super comfortable. The mini bar was stocked to the hilt with beverages and snacks.The shower/tub had great water pressure and endless hot water. The hotel has a restaurant with delicious food and offers room service which we used both mornings for breakfast. It was delicious and on time.The hotel also features in room, on demand movies, coffee in the lobby in the morning, tea in the afternoon, and a free evening wine, beer and soda hour. The staff couldn't have been more wonderful. Everyone from the valet to bellmen to front desk, to the manager, Sergio Perez, was accommodating and extremely friendly. The location was PERFECT and so many places are walkable--it's directly across the street from the National Portrait Gallery with the Capitol One Area to the east of the Gallery. Across the street too the west of the hotel is the International Spy Museum. The hotel is also located about three blocks north of the Mall, where many of the other Smithsonian Museums are located. There are also many restaurants and cafe's within walking distance all around! We really enjoyed the Gordan and Biersch brewery/restaurant that was nearby. There are metro stops within walking distance so everything in the city is accessible without having to drive. We will definitely be back to this hotel for another get-away soon!

Room Tip: Avoid basement level rooms
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple