All reviews cod hot water pool table free soup red button the kitchen common areas perfect place to stay enjoyed my stay facilities are great across the road south island hostel ferry
Reviewed 24 February 2016 via mobile

I paid extra for my own room that was by the door which was noisy in the day n got lots of smoke in as the windows were by a smoking area! The bed wasn't so comfy and it looked very used. The place looked like it needed an update. Expensive for a solo person in a backpackers! Was alright but wouldn't go back.

Date of stay: February 2016
Reviewed 9 February 2016

Stayed at the Fat Cod, the owner Rachel was so helpful and friendly what a neat place to stay. Rachel pointed out all of the local attractions and gave advice about travelling safely. Scott was also very helpful and was very helpful about local spots to visit. THe facilities suited us well.

Room tip: Private rooms available
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2016

Very good backpackers, with plenty of room in the kitchen and very warm rooms. Enough showers and toilets. However a pub is very close to this building and they have very loud music all night, so it was difficult to sleep.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Rachelle M, Owner at The Fat Cod Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2016

Hi
Thanks for your review. Yes we do have a Pub next door however they only play loud music once every couple of months unfortunately you must have struck that night. I hope that does not put you off though.
Happy travels
Rachelle

Reviewed 31 December 2015 via mobile

Loved the location of this place so close to the interisland terminal. Everything was great can't make any complaints about the place itself. Cheap, only tiny issue was I didn't feel very secure with my bags as after checkout I was told I could leave my bag pack under the staircase because 'we've not had any problems yet' but luckily everything was fine!

1  Thank Ieatall92

Hi
Thanks for your review. We do have lockers for anyone who is a bit unsure of leaving their bags, my apologies I should have told you this so you had a choice.
Happy travels
Rachelle

Reviewed 17 December 2015 via mobile

Overall the hostel has a good location, beds were comfy, the facilities were clean and some staff were helpful and polite and the free bike hire was good for a short cycle. Only downside was I found the group of younger staff that live and work in the hostel to be loud and inconsiderate late at night when not actually working.

They were loud up until gone midnight on both the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night I stayed. With most activities in Picton starting at 8.15am as well as the first ferry crossing check in at 8am, you would have thought the staff would be more considerate. Especially when I did ask reception if they could be quieter earlier but it made no difference as I could still easily hear them through my ear plugs until gone midnight!

This hostel has potential but don't stay here if you need quiet to sleep and want to get up early for activities or the first ferry. On the other hand if you only need 6 hours sleep or can sleep through anything then maybe give it a try!

1  Thank 554jennyl