All reviews cod hot water pool table free soup red button the kitchen common areas perfect place to stay enjoyed my stay facilities are great across the road south island hostel ferry
Reviewed 3 January 2016

Very good backpackers, with plenty of room in the kitchen and very warm rooms. Enough showers and toilets. However a pub is very close to this building and they have very loud music all night, so it was difficult to sleep.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Rachelle M, Owner at The Fat Cod Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2016

Hi
Thanks for your review. Yes we do have a Pub next door however they only play loud music once every couple of months unfortunately you must have struck that night. I hope that does not put you off though.
Rachelle

Reviewed 31 December 2015 via mobile

Loved the location of this place so close to the interisland terminal. Everything was great can't make any complaints about the place itself. Cheap, only tiny issue was I didn't feel very secure with my bags as after checkout I was told I could leave my bag pack under the staircase because 'we've not had any problems yet' but luckily everything was fine!

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Ieatall92

Hi
Thanks for your review. We do have lockers for anyone who is a bit unsure of leaving their bags, my apologies I should have told you this so you had a choice.
Rachelle

Reviewed 17 December 2015 via mobile

Overall the hostel has a good location, beds were comfy, the facilities were clean and some staff were helpful and polite and the free bike hire was good for a short cycle. Only downside was I found the group of younger staff that live and work in the hostel to be loud and inconsiderate late at night when not actually working.

They were loud up until gone midnight on both the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night I stayed. With most activities in Picton starting at 8.15am as well as the first ferry crossing check in at 8am, you would have thought the staff would be more considerate. Especially when I did ask reception if they could be quieter earlier but it made no difference as I could still easily hear them through my ear plugs until gone midnight!

This hostel has potential but don't stay here if you need quiet to sleep and want to get up early for activities or the first ferry. On the other hand if you only need 6 hours sleep or can sleep through anything then maybe give it a try!

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank 554jennyl
Reviewed 25 November 2015

Good location in picton.
Only 2mins walk to the ferry and 7mins walk to the super market.
Staffs are friendly at the reception.
Rooms are nice and tidy and a good parking area, and the bar is just next the backpacker.

Things I do not like is I could not use any facilities after check out, had to pay $5 to use.
Also, every 8minutes, I had to get out of the bathroom to push warm water button, otherwise, no hot water comes. (why?)
Shower drapes are not long enough, should be able to be more longer, splash water to my clothes(not enough number of hooks on the door) from the space at the bottom.

Sweet az

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Red0826
Rachelle M, Owner at The Fat Cod Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2015

Hi Thanks for your review we are glad you enjoyed you stay.
The reason our showers are timed is that we do care about the quantities of water being used it is a precious resource and we also like to make sure that everyone get some hot water and does not have to cue for a shower......I think this would be more annoying!! We feel 8 minutes is enough and have put it to the test ourselves.
Yes we do charge $5 to use the facilities after 10am as 10am IS Checkout and we have to clean for the next lot of guests coming in. We do not mind if you use the lounge though and you can sit up there at no extra cost. I guess we liken it to this..........would you go back to a motel room after you have checked out at 10am and use the kitchen or bathroom? No probably not, check out is check out we do have plenty of signs around saying the same. We also want to encourage you to explore our beautiful little town. I hope this explains why we do what we do, we just want to make things great for all out guests

Reviewed 9 October 2015 via mobile

If you're thinking of spending a night or 2 at picton, this hostel is definitely the 1 u should choose. It's walking distance from town and port. Easily accessible and lots of free stuff. Wifi,carpark, bike, fishing rod and etc. are all free to use. Clean and tidy common area that can be used.

Can be better if they have heater for the room. ;)

Date of stay: October 2015