All reviews cod hot water pool table free soup red button the kitchen common areas perfect place to stay enjoyed my stay facilities are great across the road south island hostel ferry
Reviewed 23 June 2015 via mobile

I stayed one night at Fat Cod, I enjoyed! The staff was really cool and full of attention. The bed was comfortable so I had a great night. All the languages on the wall and the map with the pins on the countries is really cool. The only thing is that the hostel is a bit outdated and taking a shower is a struggle since you have to get out to push the hot water button.. And the breakfast that they offer is not really what you expect but at least it's something :) I'd stay there again since its well located!

Date of stay: June 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2015 via mobile

This hostel was the perfect place to stay at. It has nice and clean showers, a good kitchen and a lot of stuff to do around it. When we arrived it was not sure if they would have enough space to fit us in but the owner ( Rachelle) tried everything to give us a place to sleep and so it was. We stayed there for a while and we just loved it. Especially when in winter time the oven gets heated and the house starts to warm up, it just felt like at home.
And the warmhearted owner and the other receptionists ( especially her son, Scott- just awesome) make you always feel welcome!
So whatever you need in a hostel, you can find if there: nice people, a bed to sleep in, clean showers and a clean kitchen and it's close to city center and to all the beautiful thinks to do and to discover Picton.

Date of stay: January 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2015 via mobile

The hostel is conveniently located near the Interislander, railway and coach stops. I had a warm welcome at reception and allocated my room. The bed was warm and comfy. Although a friendly atmosphere during the day, the hostel was quiet for sleeping. Bathrooms were clean and showers were hot. Kitchen facilities were good and there was plenty of common space including a balcony. There is some sports equipment to borrow free of charge and if you're lucky, Rachelle (the owner) will have baked some sweet treats! Reception team helpful with local advice and booking onward travel.

Date of stay: April 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
Rachelle M, Owner at The Fat Cod Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2015

Hi,
Thanks you so much for your review. We hope you enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand and take advantage of everything our wonderful country has to offer. We would love to see you back here at the Fat Cod Backpackers in the future
Happy travel

Reviewed 9 April 2015 via mobile

We started in this hostel for one night, as we were getting the ferry in the morning.

The positives is certainly the location, as it's a short walk from town, lots of available parking and the Interislander terminal. Plus they give a 100mb free WiFi access, which won't last long. But is a nice gesture.

My issues with the hostel was it was a bit worn down and they seemed oddly cheap on a few things. You only have 8 minutes of hot water for a shower, this is first I've encountered it. It's not nice to have shower and worry if the hot water will cut out.

They also charge an extra $5 to stay in the hostel after checkout. I read the comments and the owner suggests this is a cleaning issue, but just seems a bit of money grab. Nor have I been in a hostel that charges to stay after checkout.

Overall it's a standard hostel.

Date of stay: March 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi
Thanks for your review. I would like to touch on a couple of the points you have mentioned.
Yes our showers do only give you 8 minutes of hot water! In the 2 and a half years we have been here we have had only 4 complaints about this, we have also had many positives comments, most of these have been along the lines of, "its so good not to wait for ages to have a shower" " great to still have hot water when we get a shower" "what a great way to save water"
All of which we tend to agree with. We have a very precious resource and we are very big on saving it and doing our bit! We have even had other hostels look at our system with the intention of doing the same. I have showered in there to see how much time you have, I'm a woman and managed fine to accomplish everything I had to do.
As you travel through NZ I think you will come across more and more hostels that will have a fee for staying after checkout, however we are all, of course, unique. Our reason for this is NOT "money garbing" as you put it, it is so we can clean for the next lot of guests that will start checking in at 11am. The other reason is; why on earth would you want to sit in a hostel on a beautiful sunny Picton day?? We have great walking tracks, museums, mini golf, boats that will take you down the sounds, at the hostel we have free bikes and fishing rods. These are just a few of the things Picton has to offer, what did you come to NZ for? I'm sure it wasn't to sit inside and complain about having to pay $5.If you stayed in a motel (costing from $100 up) would you assume you could stay in the room for the day even though check out is 10am, would you go back and assume you can make your lunch, or have a shower after check out? You are paying a small amount for a bed here $26, like I said we are all unique and do thing differently.
Happy travels

Reviewed 20 March 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at the Fat Cod in the beautiful harbour town of Picton. It is a small but very cosy and the 'open plan' layout adds to the friendly atmosphere. It was a really nice bonus to find the hostel has freebies like bikes, fishing rods and other sport equipment for guests to borrow when the sun is out in Picton since you would normally have to pay extra for these. On the rare day when it might rain, or if you are just having a chill out day, I actually found the video library a good bit of fun and there are a good selection of movies (not to mention the pool table and guitar - always a plus!).

The kitchen was equipped well enough for a hostel this size but most importantly it was CLEAN! Isn't it a nice change not having to clean up other peoples mess! Plenty of toilets and hot showers - always clean and working fine.

The managers were great for local knowledge and always happy to help. The High Street is just a couple of minutes walk for shops and restaurants, and the iSite and Interislander ferry terminal are a similar distance.

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Hi,
Thanks so much for your positive honest review. We love having our guest leave happy and will continue keep this happening.
We wish you all the best with your travel and hope to see you again soon at the Fat Cod Backpackers.