All reviews cod hot water pool table free soup red button the kitchen common areas perfect place to stay enjoyed my stay facilities are great across the road south island hostel ferry
Reviewed 13 April 2015 via mobile

The hostel is conveniently located near the Interislander, railway and coach stops. I had a warm welcome at reception and allocated my room. The bed was warm and comfy. Although a friendly atmosphere during the day, the hostel was quiet for sleeping. Bathrooms were clean and showers were hot. Kitchen facilities were good and there was plenty of common space including a balcony. There is some sports equipment to borrow free of charge and if you're lucky, Rachelle (the owner) will have baked some sweet treats! Reception team helpful with local advice and booking onward travel.

Date of stay: April 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
Rachelle M, Owner at The Fat Cod Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2015

Hi,
Thanks you so much for your review. We hope you enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand and take advantage of everything our wonderful country has to offer. We would love to see you back here at the Fat Cod Backpackers in the future
Happy travel

Reviewed 9 April 2015 via mobile

We started in this hostel for one night, as we were getting the ferry in the morning.

The positives is certainly the location, as it's a short walk from town, lots of available parking and the Interislander terminal. Plus they give a 100mb free WiFi access, which won't last long. But is a nice gesture.

My issues with the hostel was it was a bit worn down and they seemed oddly cheap on a few things. You only have 8 minutes of hot water for a shower, this is first I've encountered it. It's not nice to have shower and worry if the hot water will cut out.

They also charge an extra $5 to stay in the hostel after checkout. I read the comments and the owner suggests this is a cleaning issue, but just seems a bit of money grab. Nor have I been in a hostel that charges to stay after checkout.

Overall it's a standard hostel.

Date of stay: March 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi
Thanks for your review. I would like to touch on a couple of the points you have mentioned.
Yes our showers do only give you 8 minutes of hot water! In the 2 and a half years we have been here we have had only 4 complaints about this, we have also had many positives comments, most of these have been along the lines of, "its so good not to wait for ages to have a shower" " great to still have hot water when we get a shower" "what a great way to save water"
All of which we tend to agree with. We have a very precious resource and we are very big on saving it and doing our bit! We have even had other hostels look at our system with the intention of doing the same. I have showered in there to see how much time you have, I'm a woman and managed fine to accomplish everything I had to do.
As you travel through NZ I think you will come across more and more hostels that will have a fee for staying after checkout, however we are all, of course, unique. Our reason for this is NOT "money garbing" as you put it, it is so we can clean for the next lot of guests that will start checking in at 11am. The other reason is; why on earth would you want to sit in a hostel on a beautiful sunny Picton day?? We have great walking tracks, museums, mini golf, boats that will take you down the sounds, at the hostel we have free bikes and fishing rods. These are just a few of the things Picton has to offer, what did you come to NZ for? I'm sure it wasn't to sit inside and complain about having to pay $5.If you stayed in a motel (costing from $100 up) would you assume you could stay in the room for the day even though check out is 10am, would you go back and assume you can make your lunch, or have a shower after check out? You are paying a small amount for a bed here $26, like I said we are all unique and do thing differently.
Happy travels

Reviewed 20 March 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at the Fat Cod in the beautiful harbour town of Picton. It is a small but very cosy and the 'open plan' layout adds to the friendly atmosphere. It was a really nice bonus to find the hostel has freebies like bikes, fishing rods and other sport equipment for guests to borrow when the sun is out in Picton since you would normally have to pay extra for these. On the rare day when it might rain, or if you are just having a chill out day, I actually found the video library a good bit of fun and there are a good selection of movies (not to mention the pool table and guitar - always a plus!).

The kitchen was equipped well enough for a hostel this size but most importantly it was CLEAN! Isn't it a nice change not having to clean up other peoples mess! Plenty of toilets and hot showers - always clean and working fine.

The managers were great for local knowledge and always happy to help. The High Street is just a couple of minutes walk for shops and restaurants, and the iSite and Interislander ferry terminal are a similar distance.

Hi,
Thanks so much for your positive honest review. We love having our guest leave happy and will continue keep this happening.
We wish you all the best with your travel and hope to see you again soon at the Fat Cod Backpackers.

Reviewed 12 March 2015

Positive aspects, short walk from the ferry terminal, town is around the corner, train station is meters away and there is free coffee but no scones as advertised on the web site.
The atmosphere is friendly, young interesting travelers from around the world.
Negative aspects, the train is meters away, pool table that is played at all hours as well as the television. So it is a personnel position biassed on the need for sleep that I only rate this place average.
I must add the owner is a friendly and very fair women with a good attitude.
So if you are a heavy sleeper or don't need much this is the place for you. Otherwise check into one of the many motels in Picton.

Room tip: The train tracks run behind the hostel, the pool table and t.v. are upstairs so ask for a room downstairs closer to the front of the building.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
BluewaterGypsy, Owner at The Fat Cod Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2015

Hi Delilah,
Thanks for your review. Considering you did not pay for your stay and were woofing I am a little surprised at your review however I am happy to reply. My staff are very good at making sure when 10.30pm comes around they go up stairs and put the pool que and guitar away so these are not played until the early hours they also make sure the TV is on a quite volume. I have reviewed the cameras for the one night you stayed and found that the staff did go up stairs at the usual time and did this. I think 10.30 is a reasonable time that seems to suit everyone. I have looked repeatedly over our website and can not see where is says we do free scones, however feel free to let me know where you have seen this and I will certainly look into it. As for the train, Picton is a port town it doesn't matter where you stay you will get port noise, train or ferrys, we find most backpackers travel with ear plugs anyway so it does not seem to worry them, I guess most people are not too worried when they look at the beautiful breathtaking views Picton has to offer .

Reviewed 16 February 2015

Although they're really close to the ferry and iSite and my bed was clean and comfy, I can't rate it very high. The place is cute but very old, worn and sad.
The kitchen gear was about as old as I've seen and I think I counted 6 coffee mugs. There were no power points in the bedrooms, they have really old VHS movies.
You do get 100 mb of internet free and can buy a gig of internet for $5. which is pretty good.
Aside from the backpackers who were there, the place just didn't have a very good vibe!
All in all I came away with a sense that the staff aren't really interested as much in creating a nice space for backpackers as they are about getting through their tasks of the day . . . its a little like you're in the way. It's a shame though, with some love this could be a really great place.

Date of stay: February 2015
1  Thank Mandyln
Rachelle M, Owner at The Fat Cod Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2015

Thanks for your review. I am surprised to hear you comments as you stayed one night and then you booked another. The kitchen pots maybe a little old but they still heat things as good as new,I counted and found over 20 coffee cups, there are plugs in all our rooms, some are behind beds and had you asked we would have pointed this out, most of our guests do know to look there when it is not obvious. The VHS are there for a bit of fun really and we get a lot of people saying it was fun to watch some of these, they still work well so why throw them away when they give our guests a bit of a laugh at what used to be, you may have noticed we also have a DVD player. My staff are very helpful even when at this time of the year we are extremely busy and pushed to the limit, if there has been an incident with one of my staff you would like to discuss with me please feel free to email me your concerns.
Happy travels