All reviews cod hot water pool table free soup red button the kitchen common areas perfect place to stay enjoyed my stay facilities are great across the road south island hostel ferry
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Fat Cod Backpackers. It's great value for money and close to shops and restaurants. The lounge room and kitchen are big. The toilet/shower is unisex and clean enough. And the internet was fast. I stayed in a comfy double room (room 9). It's located right at the front next to the entrance and check in counter. I was a bit worried in the beginning that it would be too noisy, but I was wrong. My stay there was peaceful and by 10pm everything was pretty much quiet. So it's good that it's not a loud place.

The most important of all of course are the staff. They are amazing!!!!
Forgot to ask for their names but there were 2 guys that checked me in. They are so friendly and so funny.
I was on the way to brush my teeth and met a French lady. So we chatted about which island is better: North or South. They came in and heard us talking about the topic and just joined in. It was quite entertaining to see them arguing (healthily) about which island is better. It helped me gain my insight about NZ so, cheers guys! :-D

Having said all this though, do not expect any luxury. After all it's a backpacker. Everything is basic but it's adequate to make your stay comfortable. One thing about the hot water system, you have to press the lil button at the side of the shower door and it will only last for a certain amount of time. After that, the water will turn cold. So you have to press the button again for more hot water. Guess they do it this way to save water.

I will definitely recommend this place. It's a comfortable place to stay at an affordable price.

Date of stay: March 2014
1  Thank Poikime
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed there for a couple of nights and had a really good time. Staff were super friendly, helpful and went out of their way. The rooms are well kept and the hostel is clean. Free 30 min wifi a day was a good bonus.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 13Dandelion
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Personally, I liked this place a great deal. The bunk beds are sturdy and wooden and the large female dorm big, airy and bright. There is a large number of showers and toilets, you never need to queue, but the common areas have the intimate feel of a smaller boutique backpackers. The layout is very functional, with separate dining area and a lounge, and a big deck to hang out and watch the world go by. There is a local bar right next to the hostel, however, if you feel like hanging out with some locals.

The location, closest to the ferry, is something for backpackers to be grateful.

The wall-to-wall carpeting in the common areas is strange, however. I would replace it.

Room tip: If you get an early pick to the big dorms there is a chance of a single bed.
1  Thank boxfishlover
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here before and after hiking the Queen Charlotte Track. Great that they have car parking and could leave my car here (for free) while out in the wilderness. The 8 bed female dorm had loads of space. 8 minute hot showers a good idea - saves the environment and saves waiting in line for half an hour for the person before you to finish! Beds are fully made-up and also with a bath towel which was an unexpected treat, only downside is that it is next to a commercial area so work/construction noise all night. Nice lounge area and kitchen space. Great location to shops and wharf.

1  Thank Catriona G
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

For the price I can't really complain, about the paper thin walls, or not totally clean shared bathrooms. However I can complain about the noisy staff (talking in loud German ) at 1.30am right next to our double room, and the rather itchy bed sheets and hair on our pillows. Nice location, and if I was a backpacker I'd probably be okay with it. Still it's a decent place, and as long as they sorted out the noisy staff, I'd stay here again.

Date of stay: December 2013
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whitters80