Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
jias001
Honolulu, Hawaii

By far the best hotel in Kosrae!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Feb 2024
I spent three nights at the Island Hopper, the last stop of several weeks of work travel across the Micronesian region. My colleagues and I were originally booked at one of the other hotels on the island but along our travels met someone that told us about the Island Hopper. Tripadvisor and Google didn't give us much to go on, but thanks to the one lonely review on Tripadvisor, we took a chance as the thought of getting to stay at a relatively new property was pretty enticing by this point in our travels.

Sometimes chances pay off and this was one of those times. If I could give this review 10 stars I would, and I'd add a few heart emojis in there as well! This is a special place and you can feel it the minute you arrive. The three owners, Maria, Mark, and Matt have invested years of their lives into this community and their knowledge and love of Kosrae is evident. The property itself is immaculate; in all my travels across the region I have never stayed in such a clean and up to date room. It has the standards of an established resort with the personal touches of a bed and breakfast. It is the first room in this region I have stayed in where I've had enough light to actually do work in my room, with lots of outlets available to plug in devices. There is also filtered water, an electric kettle, and microwave. The rooms also have memory foam mattresses and Starlink internet. So much investment and thought clearly went into this place, and that's just the room.

When I travel I usually try to eat at different restaurants but we ended up only eating here. The food was that good. I have travelled across this region for years, and I have never seen the complete inside of a kitchen in one of the restaurants that I've dined at, (and honestly, have never wanted to). The Island Hopper kitchen is fully visible to anyone dining in the restaurant and it's spotless. The chef Semi, Marialeon, and all the girls working are so friendly and the food that comes out of the kitchen is amazing. I've never seen so much fresh produce offered at a restaurant in Micronesia. The first night we were here my colleagues and I were giddy talking about the different options; I was torn between an eggplant dish and a salad and what I ended up getting was an eggplant salad. Sliced eggplant, lightly sautéed in olive oil with balsamic vinegar and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. It was delicious. After everyone tried it I went to point it out on the menu only to realize that it wasn't there; I have no idea why it's not on the menu - I ended up ordering it as a side at every meal! And it's not just the salads that are good; the pizzas - never did I ever think I'd want spicy tuna on a pizza but the combination works, and it's tasty. We worked our way through the menu during our stay and were never disappointed, (chocolate caramel brownies, breadfruit chips, grilled tuna, sashimi, the breakfast sandwich and fruit smoothie, I could go on and on)!

We also happened to be here over a weekend and Maria suggested that I attend a local church service to get a feel for the culture. I went, not knowing quite what to expect, and got to hear some incredible voices singing in the choir. Even though the service was in the Kosraean language and I was clearly an outsider, I was welcomed warmly and got to experience a very important part of Kosrae's culture. We also got to spend some time both in the water, hiking, and wondering about much of the unexplained pre-missionary history and were amazed by the beauty and in awe of the creations.

I apologize for such a long review but the last one was the deciding factor for us staying here and so I wanted to take the time to pay it forward. I am so glad that I got to stay here and felt fortunate that due to the actual island hopper's schedule we ended up here longer than needed, which allowed for some downtime to experience the island and get to know the owners and staff. Maria is one of those people who makes you have hope in humanity; her and Mark and Matt clearly care so much about Kosrae and its people, and even if just for a few days, I feel very grateful to have been able to cross their paths and experience a home away from home. Thank you to the whole Island Hopper team, you made this a trip to remember.
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Priceline
  • Vio.com
2.3 km from Island Hopper Hotel
View more hotels in Tafunsak
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 December 2023

Island Hopper Hotel is a gem in FSM! Kosrae is such a lush, beautiful place and it was great to stay in a safe (eg filtered water faucet in the rooms), comfortable (memory foam-type beds), and friendly (the staff will play ukulele and sing during meal times if they aren't too busy). The moonscape across from the hotel is magical!! I recommend the tuna & veggie omlete for breafast and the salted caramel brownie as a treat with dinner. While I wanted to just enjoy the peacefulness of Kosrae, I also had to work during my stay. Island Hopper has Starlink internet that is super fast and perfect for Zoom calls and other business functions.

Date of stay: November 2023