Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Warsaw F
Warsaw, Poland

Did the job, but a bit random.

Review of Red Roofs Hotel
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 9 Nov 2012
My stay at Red Roofs was a little bit strange. It was comfortable enough, although the room and bathroom definitely could have been spruced up somewhat and a bit more homely.

On the other hand, the staff didn't seem to know when breakfast was, if indeed it was served at all. The second morning I seemed to be the only person having breakfast there, and what was on offer was a bit feeble.

Then, towards the end of my staff, the painters and decorators had moved in and my room was the only one on the floor that wasn't being done up, which was slightly unnerving. I kept thinking I would come back to find all my belongings under dust covers, although it was fine.

I'm also curious about the marketing of Red Roofs. It doesn't appear to be in the guidebooks, and the Italian restaurant they promoted next door didn't seem to exist. Overall, it was a slightly odd experience, although I did enjoy my trip to Riga a lot. It may just be that I booked before they started to overhaul the hotel/hostel but they had forgotten about this when they made the reservation and so had to honour it. It wasn't a brilliant place that I would rush back too, but neither was it awful.
Date of stay: October 2012
Room Tip: Seems to be under renovation just now, (autumn 2012) although nothing so far about this on the...
Trip type: Travelled solo
0.7 km from Red Roofs Hotel
    $150
0.6 km from Red Roofs Hotel
View more hotels in Riga
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I booked single room in this hostel-like hotel (its web-site calls it as Red Roofs Inn). Shared bathroom and toilet (clean enough) were in the corridor. My room was very tiny, but for the money I paid for it I couln't find another one in the city center, though October is off-season time for Riga. The hotel is located right in the center next to the Church of St. Peter (which represents one of the best "postcard" views of the city). Galeria shopping center is located about 20 meters away.
Except the size I have no other complaints about my room. It's true, there is minimum of furniture, but I was the traveller who spends in the hotel only night, walking the rest of time, watching the city streets and sightseens.

Date of stay: October 2011
1  Thank comedi
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have stayed in this hotel for two nights at end of March 2012. Location was great, staff was friendly although these are all the good things I can mention about this hotel. We have got big suite with separate bedroom and once we entered the room it was so cold – you never wanted to take your coats of. It was about minus 1 C outside during night and up to +10 during the day, but both batteries in the room remained dead cold. I have asked for a heater at reception, but the one I got was very small and didn’t do much at all. The suite still was cold and damp. The hot water was not hot at all. It was just bearable to take the shower. I am wondering if they didn’t have problems with Legionella before. The towel dryer in the bathroom remained cold all the time; no one changed our towels, so we had to use the same damp ones every day. The drain in the shower was blocked, and I only realized that once the water from shower reached the door of the bathroom.
Breakfast was average – two choices of cereal, some meat, cheese, milk, yogurt, tea and coffee.
I would definitely recommend skipping this hotel, there are plenty of better hotels in the old town at the same price range.

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank S_G274951
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at Red Roofs and it was OK. I would have to say that it was nothing particularily special but nothing to complain about, either. Located right in the Old Town, opposite St Johns Church, it is the ideal location for exploring the city. The 2 girls I dealt with were pleasant and spoke good English and the reception was manned 24hrs a day. My room was small - about 2 metres by 2 metres, with just a bed, wardrobe, small table and small sofa but it was warm and clean. The breakfast wasn't great, 2 choices of cereal, 2 cold meats, some cheese and yoghurt, with coffee from the machine in reception and some bread. As a cheap option - 16 Lats per night - it was fine and if I visit Riga again, then I would bear this place in mind.

Date of stay: January 2012
2  Thank SaleDamc
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We had a wonderful time in Red Roofs Hotel - stayed for our honeymoon. The staff was amazing nothing was to much trouble! Clean and comfortable rooms. Warmly recommend. Also we wish to recommend family restaurant Alibi near the hotel. It’s very tasty grilled dishes in Latvian traditional style and romantic atmosphere. We tried grilled venison with peas puree and red wine sauce. It was fantastic taste.

Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alex B
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I stayed here in a single room with shared bathroom for just one night.

The bathroom was a really bathroom, not a dorm bath. Very clean. Felt like I was staying in a room in someone's country manor instead of a hostel, though I was paying hostel prices.

Incredibly cute room. Possibly the cutest room I've ever stayed in. Modern medieval? I think that the bed may have been shorter than a normal-length bed (just like they are when you pay money to see those really old mansions and palaces and you wonder whether people were just way shorter a long time ago). Luckily, I'm only 5'1" so a shorter bed didn't bother me at all.

Location was excellent. Right in old town, but not next to a thumping night club.

My only quibble was that internet wasn't very strong in the rooms upstairs; only in the lobby downstairs. The receptionist told me that their internet guru was on holiday for 3 weeks, so maybe that's not a typical problem.

All in all, a very satisfying short stay.

Date of stay: August 2011