Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Michael R

Problems Galore at this Hotel

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 weeks ago
First, hotel's on a no traffic street. Had to lug my bags down long cobblestone road. Then, hotel entry has 9 steps to take bags down. Aleksander did so for me. Odd man. Interrupts repeatedly. Not polite, but has good, helpful side. Wanted elevator. So, placed in room on 1st floor, but with steps going down. Then given 2nd room. Too small. Offered superior room, 7€ more per day.Took. TV didn't work. Excuse was change in cable. Blamed govt banning Russian TV channels. Went on all week. Fridge didn't work until fixed. Safe hard to see keyhole in dark. Steps in room. Breakfast OK, but in cramped room, everyone pushing, hard to move. Artur better staffer, but when I returned from short trip, having been offered same room at original rate, he gave papers to sign at 50% more. Insisted I'd booked it that way. I showed Hotels.com paperwork and also online proof it was same price as before. He was very annoying. I held my ground. He called supervisor. Much conversation and then admitted staff member made mistake. I'd cancelled one reservation listing me with 2 guests, then rebooked. Too complicated for other staff, who chose canceled reservation for 2nd booking. All staff seemed unmoved at difficulty in getting cab to go to bus station, first saying it would meet at Gallery Ctr, really far to walk with bags. Finally, I just walked where cab dropped me and vowed never to return. Note to myself: Ask hotel if on street where cars can take you to door. Also, no rooms with stairs.
Date of stay: April 2024
1.4 km from Hotel Monte Kristo
  • travelup.com
    $166
View more hotels in Riga
All reviews the bus old town pancakes breakfast room recommend this hotel shopping mall yogurt min walk hotel restaurant nice breakfast receptionist suitcases
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 April 2024 via mobile

This is a good value hotel in a great location. The decor is quirky and old fashioned. The included breakfast was not great and chaotic with rude guests.

I was totally bemused by the young chap on reception who, upon checking in, looked through my passport in great detail then asked if I should have a visa because "the UK is not in Europe". I swiftly corrected him that the UK was, is and always will be, part of Europe, that's geography (tho, tbf, he's not in alone making such a nonsensical assertion) and my passport did have the required stamp from passport control. I would not have got out of the airport without it. Quite why a hotel receptionist thought border control was within his remit is beyond me!

Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2024

Fantastic hotel perfect location,clean rooms very comfortable bed absolutely fantastic staff a definite must stay if visiting Riga. Friendly staff on arrival informative make you feel welcome ,lift available for those who struggle with stairs however second floor only a few steps

Date of stay: March 2024
Reviewed 21 February 2024

Order two rooms. but here was some confussion so we had to change rooms the second night. Arrived late too so the waiting time because of this was very tiring. Good breakfast and very central. Walking distance to EVERYTHING. Great stay. Rooms were old, but in a historic way so interesting place to spend a night. Clean.

Date of stay: March 2023
Reviewed 15 November 2023 via mobile

The location is excellent adjacent to bars restaurants and shopping areas
The hotel inside is a little quirky and needs an update to come up to some travellers expectations
Personally I liked it as it wasn’t stylish or designer but it was spotless
Thanks to Arthur the manager for our stay and organising transport to the airport on a late Sunday evening

Room tip: Some great restaurants around this hotel Use the trams as great for getting around also we found it helpful by going on a walking tour
Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank pjsc2013
Reviewed 14 October 2023

Highly recommend the Hotel Monte Kristo. Ideal location, being a short walk from the old town and the market. High standard of cleanliness with comfortable beds and pillows. Fixtures and fittings are good quality. The staff are friendly and helpful and speak English. The breakfast is buffet style with both hot and cold options. The atmospheric cellar bar area is open in the evenings with reasonable drinks prices.
I think this hotel would be difficult to beat on quality, cleanliness and value.

Room tip: I was on the third floor on a main alley (R334). It had secondary double glazing and was very quiet, enabling a good night's sleep.
Date of stay: October 2023