“Best pizza and wine in down!”
Review of Controvento

Controvento
Ranked #55 of 1,123 Restaurants in Tallinn
Price range: US$0 - US$37
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: You will find us in the heart of Old Town, Katariina's Walk. Traditional, good Italian cuisine is offered in enchanting atmosphere.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

There are the best pizzas in Tallinn! I also recommend their house wine - both red and white. Excellent Italian restaurant. They also recommend a vegetable pizza. Definitely book a table, if you want to visit it!

Reviewed 2 May 2018

The service there was nice, the food took a bit long, but it was worth the wait. A cosy italian resturant with a cosy atmosphere. The friends i was with had different types of pizza and where really satisfied.

Reviewed 17 April 2018

Service was excellent. Good staff that caters to the customer. Food preparation and quality is great. Mood is fun and spirited with a lively crowd. Overall experience was positive. Recommended!

Reviewed 17 April 2018

I visited this place for the first time about a week ago & I have to say I have never experienced the service that professional. I was really craving a truffle pasta and as they did not have it on the menu the girl who was serving us promised to talk to the chef and I got the best truffle pasta I have ever eaten! + There is an extra bowl full of parmesan that you can add to your pasta, not the usual one spoonful that all other Italian restaurants offer. The house wine was also great and went together with the food perfectly! Out of 10 points I would definitely give Controvento all the 10! I loved it and I will definitely come back and recommend it to my friends and family as well!

Arte E, General Manager at Controvento, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Thank You for the kind words! We will try our best to satisfy our customers tiny special requests.
We are kindly welcoming You and Your friends and family back to our restaurant.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

The Italian restaurants will be good only when Italians work, cook and serve in them. Controvento restaurant is madly popular with tourists and local. So that several days in a row it was impossible to reserve a little table for two for the evening or a lunch! I don’t know what a secret of such blind admiring is, but I won’t go there ever again.

Except a flag of my favourite Italy I don’t remember anything from interior details. Nothing positive. I limit my complains list to the fact that it is a torture to sit on chairs with wattle seats within two hours. The table is lower than normal level for approximately 20 cm, so you constantly sit bent. Stiffed air on the second floor at fully packed restaurant – fresh air I could catch only at the exit. Everything looks cheap with the damaged glasses and tableware. In the evening, I hope, not everything is so noticeable.

Service. For farewell apologies because of my missed dessert order I can hardly put “3”. Where is hospitality and friendliness? Where the story about your remarkable dishes, if only they were actually worth praising? No suggestions, no dish explanations. Waitress couldn’t carry away empty ware, glasses, beer bottles from a table in time. It was obligatory to wave all the time to ask clean the table up.

Food. If it’s possible to close my eyes to a boring interior, if it’s possible to wait for personnel, then I won’t cope with mediocre food. If there is nothing special here, then why the restaurants is still crowded?

Bread basket – grey ciabatta. I can’t judge, self-made it was or refrozen in an oven, but the taste was good. Oil or just olives weren’t offered. You could order them from the menu at high prices.

Burrata with cherry tomatoes and fresh basil leaves For 8.50 EUR I did expected only one sack of cheese, anyway seems too expensive for a starter. Cheese was fresh and very tasty, no claims here. I poured some oil (finally brought), found dust of a dry oregano on a plate. A small group of not grounded sea salt – crush and help yourself, dear visitors.

Tortelloni stuffed with ricotta and spinach in sage butter sauce with ham – it is disgusting. Pasta was dried up at the edges and felt rubber on teeth. Stuffing of green-black colour had absolutely unclear taste. Ham, as seemed by the menu description will be that stuffing, but it was unevenly chopped all over he plate. I can only throw such chunks in bowl for my at, but even then I think twice. In a word, it is unappealing, very fat, too salty – I don’t suggest.

Pizza Alba – tomato sauce, mozzarella, truffle salami, Parmesan, truffle oil. Perhaps, I rushed in vain to order with oil, but at that moment I had a wish for a special option, not constant test “Margherita” choice. The choice eventually ended up being not really successful because all was so oiled up that didn’t manage to eat whole pizza. Besides, the saltiness broke the record of the dinner – definitely order plenty of drinks to any dish. Whether there was a mozzarella or Parmesan on pizza – still a riddle to me. In a salty mash it was hard to understand the ingredients.

Crème brûlée – appeared in a minute after an order reminder. Dessert was good, at last. Fresh, in light vanilla taste, the promised sugar crust and even fresh fruit in addition.

Sum. Average bill for person without drinks is about 30 EUR. I consider it’s a normal price for a good rich lunch, but… in Italy. In our Latin quarter it’s a robbery, it’s a deception. Inflated prices for unsatisfactory dishes. I don’t suggest visiting.

Interior – 3/5